AF: Hybrid: 530 mpg range | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hybrid: 530 mpg range

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

Come to think of it; with the '93 Grand Voyager; if I inflated the tires to 44 psi cold and held the speed to 65 mph in the Intermountain Region I got 500mi to a tank of gas a couple of times and still had a gallon or two left. It seemed able to get 28 mpg at elevations above 5000 ft but rarely got over 24 mpg at elevations below 2000 ft. I suspect that the lower air pressure at higher altitudes was reflected by lower air density and less aerodynamic drag (15 percent or so would have done it). That and the lower-octane fuel sold in the mountains could have had a few more BTU per gallon of which the fuel injection system was able to take advantage. The tank nominally held 20 gal.

2. xjgary

xjgary Well-Known Member

Don't forget, for many of us, reducing our carbon footprint, dependence on foreign oil and reducing oil imports can't be calculated in a cost benefit analysis. It's about doing the right thing. And in some places, such as Southern and Central Coast California, gasoline is still expensive. Plus, a weather event, war, disaster, etc can change prices overnight. That said, sourcing raw materials for batteries, battery life/disposal, crash safety are real issues.

3. guyverfanatic

guyverfanatic Well-Known Member

I hope we see this hybrid system in the Grand Cherokee/Durango sometime in the near future.

4. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

Hey, as long as you don't mind spending a lot of money to do it, that's your business. Doesn't change the fact that the ROI on a Prius C, Prius V, or plain ol' Prius is too long. By the way, in case you missed it, we're no longer dependent on foreign oil.

5. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

I can't helped that you're getting ripped off at $3.569/gallon. I just filled up for $1.839/gallon. However, if you read my entire post you'd have seen that even at $4 a gallon the Prius C has an 18.8 year payback period compared to the Yaris. Ridiculously long and impractical since, with few exceptions, a Prius C won't even last that long. If it did, it would require at least one and probably two battery array replacements at a few thousand dollars a crack. Want to include THAT in your cost of ownership argument? I bet you don't!

6. Mallard

Mallard Active Member

Not going to happen. This is a FWD transaxle, not based on the RWD 8-speed.

7. Mallard

Mallard Active Member

The graphic shows the energy only flowing to the front axle and the press release goes into detail about being an EVT transmission with two electric motors.

8. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

That sucks....we're paying $1.79/gal for regular.

9. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

I appreciate your optimism, but Toyota has been pumping out a few hundred thousand hybrids every year for some time now. If there are economies of scale to achieve, I think Toyota has achieved them. And if you think Lincoln is surviving on the profits from their same price hybrid vs. gas sales, you'd better go show Ford CEO Mark Fields your math because he'd love to know how that's possible. In fact, Fields would like to know how to keep the entire Lincoln brand alive since it appears to be ready to join Mercury in the automotive scrap heap.

10. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

Perhaps, you missed the announcement of the new Lincoln Continental. So much for the scrap heap...

11. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

Announcing a car and actually selling them are two very different things. Lincoln better hope things pick up because they're dead men walking.

12. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

Your opinion, and you're welcome to it. Lincoln is Ford's prestige brand, and if it wants to be seen in the same class as GM (Cadillac), Toyota (Lexus), Honda (Acura) etc.. of the world's premiere brands, they will fix the Lincoln brand. It may take some time, but in the end it's job one.

13. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

Yes, but that's mostly artwork, the options for both hybrid and AWD production may be held close to the chest until near delivery.

14. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

They've been working on turning it around for 20 years. How many more CEOs is Ford going to go through before it's fixed? If ever. I think someone already stuck a fork in it. Lincoln's total sales of all models is less than the Town Car used to sell alone.

tomit likes this.
  15. dodgeatheart

dodgeatheart Not THAT guy again!

One of the things always left out of the plug-in equation (and I think someone touched on it earlier) is maintenance. In 3 years of ownership, I changed the oil in my Volt once, and that was just because I wanted to. Not to mention, regenerative brakes reduce brake wear. Now, my Volt had an EPA range of 38 miles, so time on battery would likely be less with the Pacifica in my case, but it's nice not having to get your oil changed but every once a year or so, not to mention air filters.

One nice thing the Pacifica has that the Volt did not is what appears to be a 6.6kwh converter versus a 3.(6?)kwh charger making charge times half of what they were in the Volt. If you do a lot of short trips, that keeps you off of gas and on electric.

UN4GTBL likes this.