Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyundai could become world’s No. 1 with FCA merger: report

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Hemidakota, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

[​IMG]

Market rumors are circulating that Hyundai Motor is looking to acquire the world’s seventh-largest auto manufacturer Fiat Chrysler Automobiles despite the automaker’s vehement denial. And a local analyst said Tuesday that Korea’s largest auto company would leap forward to become the world’s No. 1 if the deal goes through.

Lee Jae-il, an analyst in charge of automobiles at Eugene Investment & Securities, said in a report that Hyundai Motor would benefit from the acquisition due to an expanded portfolio and high consumer awareness of FCA brands in the US and Europe.

The merger would bolster Hyundai’s position as the world’s leading automaker by sales based on the performance of the Korean auto company and the FCA, which sold a combined 11.5 million units last year, he said.

“Hyundai is denying the merger, but the need to acquire a company is higher than ever due to the crisis in the Chinese and US markets.

“The possibility of Chinese automaker Great Wall Motors acquiring Jeep has been suggested, and Hyundai Motor has also surfaced as a possible buyer,” he added.

Hyundai could become world’s No. 1 with FCA merger: report (at http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170919000869 )

2. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

Meanwhile, British car maker Morgan has reportedly offered in excess of ten billion Guineas, plus shared use of the company's corporate Zeppelin.

3. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

4. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

5. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Here we go again...

6. chfjim

Level III Supporter

I actually wouldnt mind this one. Hyundai has made leaps and bounds in quality and performance in the last decade. My dad has a 16 Genesis and with the exception of the Nav, it is a very competitive car.

7. Honestly, Chrysler and Fiat's biggest problem is their spotty quality. Hyundai's biggest asset is their quality turnaround. 20 years ago they built trash, now they dominate the industry in just about every quality metric.

8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

They can merge with Petco for all I care at this point. If...it...will...just...make...the...merger...rumors...go...away...for...a...while...:D

9. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Merger with Subaru it is!

10. Chris mopar

Chris mopar Active Member

I agree, this is the one merger that could improve the quality of the FCA brands, and better
    quality control is one of the big reasons I recently bought my 2nd Honda CRV over a Jeep Cherokee. Hyundai has made great strides in the past 20 years to the point that they have a reputation equal to Honda and Toyota.

guyverfanatic and ClayBelt40's like this.
  11. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

Makes sense if you look at both companies product profile. I can see it working. Enough with the Subaru talk, even with the new Impreza they still can't seem to make an engine that doesn't suck down oil. Don't need to merge 2 companies that have sub-par powertrains together.

12. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Oh, I only said Subaru as a joke because Zagnut said Petco. Subaru was the first car maker that I thought of when he said a pet store.

ClayBelt40's and Zagnut27 like this.
  13. Dart

Dart Well-Known Member

Problem reconciling Kia products with Dodge products. Looks like overlap IMHO

14. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Powertrains, interior, and build quality all line up with each other so it's a match made in heaven. Subaru is only good because of their extreme amount of follower just liek dodge has

15. BASONE88

Supporter

What car company can I get you into today?..You like Chryslers?..You like FIATs?..With your good credit and 20% down..your payments will be just..over 60 months..oh wait, this one just sold..

Zagnut27 likes this.
  16. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

The merger between Fiat and Chrysler gave us FCA. Marchionne should stop at that, and try to actually run this combined automaker and outcompete the rivals by building better vehicles, instead of begging the rivals to buy his company. (It might be a false alarm this time, but I think that eventually Marchionne will flog FCA.)

17. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Ironically it was Kia that became Plymouth in a lot of dealer groups. When Plymouth went away, there were a lot of Chrysler-Kia dealerships around, especially before they were pushed to combine Chrysler and Dodge on the same lot.

18. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

Which pounces Toyota quality that took more than 50 years. Secret? They buy vehicles from various manufactures and shipped them back to Korea for dismantle and study.

19. serpens

serpens Active Member

I would love this too, but the only thing that gives me pause is the South Korean management style. It is...interesting to say the least.

Every manufacturer does that. Hell, just recently an exec from BMW M was openly joking that he was mad Mercedes hadn't gotten him a AMG E63 to study yet.

20. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

True but unlike these guys, they go to the extremes....