Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyundai could become world’s No. 1 with FCA merger: report

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Hemidakota, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Mopartial

Mopartial Fits and Finishes
    Level III Supporter

Amen, amen. Many likes and thanks.

Ian likes this.
  2. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

... and Hyundai-Kia's profits from those vehicles?

3. con383

con383 Well-Known Member

FCA is just as vulnerable in the U.S !! should the sales in N.A tank!! Its happened too many times and still no solution to keep them selves above water. they need to make their vehicles available world wide and stop basing their success in one market . Toyota and nearly all foreign makes have !.

4. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

"Chrylser LLC" was vulnerable to the US; FCA isn't. There are three major markets for FCA: Latin America, Europe, and North America. Economic conditions in the last decade have been poor in all except North America, but that has changed, with Europe recovering quickly, and LATAM picking up too. (Its historic weakness in Asia may help FCA as China slows down - some car makers had relied on Chinese profits to cover unprofitable operations in other regions)

While there are a few "global" volume offerings (Jeep, for instance), each of those markets has its own products, tailored to that market, because being a global company doesn't mean selling the same products globally.

You mention Toyota, but do you know that Camry and Highlander are US-market products for Toyota, with limited sales outside of North America? I live in Toyota's best European market, and I cannot get either of these vehicles from Toyota. And here's Ford's European model range - how many do you recognise? Cars (at https://www.ford.co.uk/cars?intcmp=other:nwp:hp:sticky-notes::build-price&gmbxtid=target-test:nwp:gux:mvt:hp:sticky-notes-nav:control:sticky-note:build-price# )

Sharing costs across markets isn't the same as sharing products across markets. We've had endless threads about how FCA Europe's models don't sell in the USA, but each of those FIATs is a successful model in Europe, and two are segment leaders. Similarly, you could decide to offer Chrysler and Dodge's models in Europe, but you should expect the kind of sales that FIAT USA returns.

AlfaCuda, Mr. Fusion and ScramFan like this.
  5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

FCA is still vulnerable to the US market. Just look at revenue and profit sources.

6. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Agreed, and to go a step further, I don’t think any US manufacturer is not vulnerable at this time. Anything can happen, as we are seeing in other industry.

Mike

freshforged and GasAxe like this.
  7. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Accent/Fit/Fiesta/Versa/Sonic/Yaris/XXXX <-- Subcompact
    Elantra/Civic/Focus/Sentra/Cruze/Corolla/Dart <-- Compact
    Sonata/Accord/Fusion/Altima/Malibu/Camry/200 <--Mid size

DarkSky likes this.
  8. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Of course they are and so are all of the other automakers with a large presence in the US.

Mike V. likes this.
  9. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Even Food, as such, isn't Global.

Proverb : " One man's meat is another man's poison"

Global is a funny end-game. It's thought to work. By plan it should. Summary tracking over time might be interesting to read.

Was told by a former Ford engineer that they were largely responsible at the root for the multinational push beginning in the mid-1960's for parts-sharing between Ford USA and Ford Europe. At the start was just one Nut which fit products on both sides of the Pond. So, that's what they did as a start - multiplied production to fulfill expected total demand and for spares. Then they sought to make parts which could be used by various products in both the Euro zone and the USA. Fast-forward to today. It's beyond exponential.

10. JavelinAMX

The lights are on, and product continues to be made and sold :)

11. Dan Minick

Level III Supporter

Accent shares platform with i20 / Kia Rio.

The i30 / Elantra / C'eed / Forte are Golf/Focus class.

12. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Much is the case with any company even those in bankruptcy until liquidation. That really doesn't answer the posed question at all. :rolleyes:

13. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

General Motors lost money on its European operations every single year since 2000. During that time, they were never out of the top five auto makers on the continent, by sales.

14. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

In a marketplace sense, maybe, but clearly not vulnerable to the whims of the US government?

15. Thom Paré

Thom Paré Active Member

Every car company does this.

Donte Lindsey and Mike V. like this.
  16. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Absolutely true. There is a great story about Honda purchasing a Porsche 911 GT3 to use as a comparison test vehicle for the benchmarking and development of the new NSX. Well the 911 was subject to a recall and Porsche realized who actually owned the car... word got around quick and Porsche reps left a message under the bonnet for the boys over at the Honda dynamics center.

Good fun and a great story.

Mike

#216 Mike V., Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    AlfaCuda and Thom Paré like this.
  17. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I see the same dynamic everywhere I do work: Mexico, US, Canada, Brazil... Chevrolet is a top-4 brand in sales in every market, although the brand metrics don't support those levels of sales. They chase volume very aggressively, willing to discount beyond the competition to capture more than its share.

Chevrolet is worse than Chrysler when to comes to renaming models, having to start from scratch in many segments every 5 or 10 years. But at least they are not as quick to vacate it completely.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  18. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

19. JavelinAMX

O, but it does.

You actually do need the doors open, the administration administering, and the machinery cranking to move your goods.

From what I could gather, H/K clocked very similar Margin as FCA for MY2016 .

20. JavelinAMX

How cool is that?

I noticed before that the rear cabin appeared to be more properly designed for people with a longer frame. Randy Probst confirms, which is nice to know.

It shares some DNA with the K900. Interesting. I've liked what I've seen from a distance with respect to the K900.

Looks quite promising.

Thanks, RedriderBob -