Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyundai could become world’s No. 1 with FCA merger: report

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Hemidakota, Sep 19, 2017.

1. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Every car company may do it, but not every car company really learns from it.

JavelinAMX and aldo90731 like this.
  2. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Or learn the wrong lessons...

valiant67 and JavelinAMX like this.
  3. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

See, that's a better answer even if it seems it's just a best guess from limited information... ;)

4. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I looked it up quite some time beforehand . Why didn't you? It was there to be found - not a guess, as such.

Hyundai - even against naysayer's claims - and this in difficult times for them, is still doing better than FCA.

FCA's uptick is fractionally lower performing than is Hyundai's. Hyundai separated Genesis into its own brand, whereas FCA has demonstrably cut-back. ( This being part of the critical discussion which gets and has gotten Moderated here on Allpar ). H/K has a broader automobile portfolio than does FCA. FCA's major contributors to their success is other than car business. It would be smart for Hyundai to have a Truck business in the USA; however, they likely - and rightly - conclude that 'Yota cannot crack into the business, and dominate, after all these many decades, how is it that they (H/K) could? Too many nameplates? ( I'd say very likely so). But the rumor mill about H/K + FCA makes a ton of sense when the Consumer Truck / Commercial Truck presence represented by the Ram brand is considered ... and spiced up yet further when considering Jeep.

My question was when I said : "Their lights are on ... ", was : 'Why the question when an enlightening answer is there to be had?'

FCA's uptick, as has been mentioned recently, because it has apparently coincided with the publishing of some rumor, benefited from those Merger Rumors.

Shouldn't that performance come from both market and marketplace performance instead of stories? ( Rhetorical question ) .

The better answer was latent in my post from the start.

5. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

...no response as they hardly made any sense to me and you've turned this into a very different discussion than the original... o_O

6. JavelinAMX

Very easy -

You can find information regarding Hyundai/Kia's earnings by searching the Interwebs.

H/K connecting with and leading FCA can make sense. Strengths are there. Benefits can be derived from that marriage.

If not done properly, then no.

Simple.

7. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

Connecting with FCA?.....Fine

Platform sharing, and other assorted back end savings.....Great!

Marriage?......For all his talk about consolidation.....I have trouble wrapping my head around the idea of Marchionne making any deal that does not leave the Agnellis' in the driver's seat.

FCA는 확정 된 학사입니다.
    FCAneun hwagjeong doen hagsaibnida.

#227 77 Monaco Brougham, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  8. JavelinAMX

They simply will not allow any other person or entity to be in the driver's seat.

No deals have been struck or finalized since the first discussion of A/M/P/P* (1) . We're told interest has been shown. And we have heard an appreciable amount of discourse over the years.

= = = =
    * - Alliance/Merger/Partnership/Purchase or Sale

(1) - Mazda - FCA Agreement for the Miata / Alfa / Fiat 124 is acknowledged, but quiet.

9. 77 Monaco Brougham

And......It's almost a dead certainty that it will be the last.....as we see Mazda getting pulled slowly but surely into Toyota's orbit.

It might have been well worth "blowing the net-debt-zero budget" to have tried to grab up Mazda. It appears they have very promising technology in the pipeline......and the product portfolio would have been such a hand-in-glove-fit.

Oh, well!........No use crying over spilled soy milk and rice milk at this point.:D

JavelinAMX likes this.
  10. JavelinAMX

Regarding Mazda, I agree.

We ( well, the automotive world and car-buying public, anyway ) have yet to see how Mazda's HCCI (SPCCI) engine will perform; but any connection to Toyota means Mazda just might give Right of First Refusal to 'Yota if indeed it turns out to be a positive change.

New also means there will be a 'Shake Down Cruise' for the technology for an unknown period to sort out how best to deliver, but it looks quite promising ( Mazda 3 for MY2019 will be first delivery of the tech).

11. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

The next biggest technology is going to be Tula innovated Skip Fire, which Chrysler has obtain rights and will add the Stop-n-Go feature to this unique app. Which will shake the Mazda HCCI mpg. ;)

12. JavelinAMX

The Claim is : Mazda SkyActive-X will supply approximately 30% greater efficiency. One on-paper comparison pits a current Mazda 2.0L engine at155 HP and 150 TQ vs the SkyActive-X, by calculation, generating 190 HP and 207 TQ . Pretty significant difference. But, we'll see how close that comes to on-road use, and - to simultaneously address your point - if they eventually adapt Start-Stop to this new engine (which would punch the fuel efficiency claim higher still ).

Here : Mazda’s Gasoline Skyactiv-X SPCCI Engine Explained (at http://blog.caranddriver.com/mazdas-gasoline-skyactiv-x-spcci-engine-explained/ )

Note what they calculate as Mazda 3 fuel economy as a before/after comparison, as well as for a Mazda 6.

13. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

A detail that come in mind with the current context happening in the Korean peninsula, I wonder if Huyndai might look to FCA as a secure place to move if Seoul is attacked by North Korea?

And looks PDL (Pete DeLorenzo) is on Sergio's back again on this week Autoextremist.

14. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

From what I've seen every so time Chrysler changes hands it adds more issue to the existing ones. Lets hope Fiat wants to stick it out, maybe MOPARs will cet back om an even keel.

Deckard_Cain and somber like this.
  15. Donte Lindsey

Donte Lindsey Active Member

As long as they make the Chrysler brand more than what it is now, I would be fine with this.

16. 77 Monaco Brougham

Just finished reading the piece by Peter DeLorenzo.

The whole piece reads like it was written with snake venom!

17. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Don't think the Japanese government would have allowed it. They have been circled nag the wagons for years now.

18. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

Marchionne said there's no talks with Hyundai or chinese manufacturers. Ofcourse this should all be taken with a grain of salt.

19. Dragonkat

Dragonkat Member

The Hatch is Canadian Market only...everyone else gets the sedan which is bigger than the outgoing model

JavelinAMX likes this.
  20. Dragonkat

Dragonkat Member

On the other hand FCA has no product
    Especially With the Rumor Mill saying the Pacifica will be discontinued after next year