Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyundai could become world’s No. 1 with FCA merger: report

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Hemidakota, Sep 19, 2017.

1. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

I am actually very fond of Minivans, having had several of them as company vehicles. Probably my favourite was the first gen revision, I think around '84 or so. Had a Dodge SWB Caravan with the 3.0 V6, just loved that thing, one of the greatest vehicles ever made, IMO. I also had a '97 Town and Country which was also a great ride, much better interior than the earlier ones, nice styling, still good performance. They started to get a little too big after that, for me anyways. But I had an '06 SWB Caravan as well, great utility, but was kind of boring by then, didn't like the next gen, '08's? at all, no SWB offered, bought the Magnum instead, which I still have!
    I loved the fold down bed in the original and could easily see the first gen becoming a version of the old volkswagen van, would be great to customize and hot rod! I would absolutely buy a good low mileage one if there were such a thing available.

tlc and JavelinAMX like this.
  2. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

page2171 and JavelinAMX like this.
  3. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Chrysler of old tried to find alternatives to the minivan........the original Pacifica (2004) and the Journey were meant to be minivan alternatives. They did fairly well, but both are gas hogs and the Pacifica was poorly handled by marketing.

That is how you redefine and change a segment that is in decline (like mid-size and compact sedans) not by running away.

aldo90731, JavelinAMX and valiant67 like this.
  4. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

The Kia Sedona is the best looking minivan on the road today. Of course, minus the stow-n-go and the tech (which I don't care for anyways). The Pacifica styling is not in my taste and I'm sick of the look already. I'd be hard pressed to buy one.
    01-2016-kia-sedona-FC-640.jpg

jimboy and JavelinAMX like this.
  5. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

I would rate the Kia Sedona as second in looks to the Pacifica. Every time I see a Pacifica it catches my eye, and I dream about upgrading my Grand Caravan to a Pacifica. Riding in one last week when I had the Grand Caravan in to take care of a few recalls only reinforced that feeling.

ScramFan likes this.
  6. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I think the Pacifica is nice, my time is one was brief while having my Grand Cherokee recalls done.
    But the styling has already worn on me, especially the rear 3/4 view, but that's just me.

7. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

And even when they tried those alternatives, they weren't quite sure how to market them.
    (Original) Pacifica was a little to early for the CUV fad and Journey only found its place as a value leader (much like the short Caravan was dropped because it was just a value leader).

8. Ian

Ian Car Freak

I think, IMO, the Pacifica is the best looking van out there, followed by the Sienna. Taste is subjective of course. When my Durango was in the shap last year, rental company picked me up in a Sedona and it was full of squeaks, engine tone was just odd and seats were atrociously uncomfortable.

9. MPE426HEMI

The Pacifica rear 3/4 I absolutely hate. It's like it was an afterthought grafted on quickly. The front is boring. That split belt line is annoying to look at. The interior is nice, but overkill for my needs.

jimboy likes this.
  10. MPE426HEMI

So, Not far off the current DGC then. As much as I like the minivan, I couldn't wait to get rid of my 2011. The only thing I liked about it (Other than stow-n-go) was the fact that it wasn't too cushy inside that I wouldn't want to load 'er up!

11. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

One possible "Inspiration" for the basic profile ( the rear especially, but possibly the front clip as well ) could possibly have been the Citroen C4 Coupe -

The proportion isn't identical; and you'd have to imagine a Slider in the appropriate spot, but this seems to follow the same styling ideal.

[​IMG]

The silhouette is close, too.

However, I like the Sedona. Was never fond of the Grand Caravan from 2008 onward.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  12. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Pacificas are not very common out here yet. Whenever I see one, it makes me take a double look. In particular the top-of-the-line ones look pretty impressive.

13. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

In my opinion, Pacifica is far and away the best looking minivan. I don't really like the looks of any of the others.

Ian likes this.
  14. Ian

Ian Car Freak

I would say worst. I've driven and sat in alot of DGC after the MY 2008 (which I thought were a downgrade to the 01-07 seat comfort) and the Sedona is worst. 2011 DGC were a little better than the '08-'10 IMO

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  15. MPE426HEMI

I can't believe you can get any worse than the '08-'10's. My 2001 DGC Sport was the best. After getting out of that and into a 2011, it was a complete backwards shock!

Ian likes this.
  16. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

I can certainly agree about the horrible interior at least with the 2010 I looked at - we were looking to replace our 2000 DGC SE, and almost left Mopar after seeing how bad it was. But I had read here on Allpar that the 2011's were getting a big interior upgrade, so we waited and bought a 2011 and we have really loved the car.

Biggest shock between our 2000 with the 3.3 and the 2011 with the 3.6 is when we pull out to pass someone. That extra 125 HP from the Pentastar always brings a smile to my face. Also, the 2011 was our first experience with Stow 'N Go, which to me, is one of the greatest automotive inventions ever.

wtxiceman and MPE426HEMI like this.
  17. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Very similar experience for us. Our 2002 DGC Sport had the 3.3 (funny it being the "Sport" model and having the 3.3), and we replaced it with a 2012 DGC Crew. Actually drove a 2010 DGC last summer...borrowed it from my uncle when we were back in the U.S. on vacation from Okinawa. The 3.8/6 speed combo wasn't too bad, but not nearly as nice as the Pentastar. The seats were tolerable, and the rest of the interior made me glad I was only borrowing it.

somber likes this.
  18. Ian

Ian Car Freak

The interior of the cabin is better in the Sedona than it was in the '08-10 Mopar minivans, seats, not so much. My mom had a 2002 Grand Caravan Sport and those seats were amazing.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  19. duster92

duster92 Well-Known Member

I know some people have speculated that Chrysler and Dodge would not be eliminated because of dealer contracts. However, a lot of those dealers could be converted to Genesis dealerships. If Hyundai wants separate dealers that is going to take a major investment...unless they take over an existing company. I could see Chrysler going away entirely. Maybe Dodge would be kept. They could make the Stinger a Dodge. It really doesn't work as a KIA. KIA could be the no frills brand. Dodge, Jeep, and Ram would soldier on. OR...they could rename KIA Dodge for the US Market. They could focus on performance. The Charger/Challenger could take over for the Cadenza and K900. So it would be Hyundai, Dodge, Jeep, Ram.

20. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

One adjective, IMO. 'Overstyled', and I HATE that reverse curve on the D pillar, so overdone, so yesterday, in fact, we had that same styling on my Dad's '57 Rambler! Hated it then, too.

MPE426HEMI likes this.