Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyundai could become world’s No. 1 with FCA merger: report

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Hemidakota, Sep 19, 2017.

1. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I'd rather the Kia's remain Kia and the (C)DJR - well, DJR, actually, could remain as they are. Chrysler could be aided by Genesis and the UpperCrust Kia. Genesis is Not a Wannabe Chrysler 300, but it has a Chrysler vibe strained through the sieve of a Korean Car company's point of view. They have far fewer limitations for a Chrysler-esque car, because, unlike Chrysler, they haven't been disabled by having been taken over by two other iconic automotive entities within a 20-year period. Nearly unknown Kia went through Bankruptcy in 95-96 or so; serving to more easily marry-up with Hyundai. HK could adjust their portfolio only slightly. The elements that set the FCA portion apart are engines (Hemi range) and some branded parts (Stow-n-Go?); then Jeep and Ram. HK already has all the necessary architectures to be competitive. They have rolling Hybrid stock right now; but there might be a bump in that sub-market when adding FCA's new gear ( but again, maybe not, since we don't know what's behind the scenes in their studios - and rumor has it the Genesis 80 series will be their answer to Tesla. I'm waiting to see if that actually materializes).

2. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Yes, ugly. That whole section of the rear is like an afterthought grafted on. I don’t know how any designer could look at that and thought it matched or flowed with the style of the rest of the van? The Sedona looks more like a natural evolution of the current DGC styling IMO. Instead of the Pacifica’s “back to the Jellybean” look. Dissapointing. Kia beat them on the release and the style. Kia has it figured out. I’m not a Kiundai fan, but at least they’re not asleep! Unlike FCA.

vipergg, jimboy and JavelinAMX like this.
  3. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

To each his own, totally disagree with you on this one, and most agree, Pacifica is a homerun and Sedona is an afterthought

tlc, AlfaCuda, somber and 1 other person like this.
  4. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Styling is subjective.

guyverfanatic and vipergg like this.
  5. JavelinAMX

I'm an interior space 'Connoisseur' (which some would call a 'space nut') who holds dear the old dictum : "Form follows Function' . Therefore, the outside view is important if it serves the purpose well. I like aesthetics, too, but not at the expense of function. Ultimately, if it delivers the space I need - fabulous ... if it delivers the space I need in what I consider an attractive skin, then that scores maximum points.

My fall-back is : 'The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.' Hit that mark first, please.

6. MPE426HEMI

To each his own. Personally, I’ll pass on Pacifica. I think bringing a new line up of vehicles to the consumer is an FCA afterthought at this point.

vipergg, adaptabl and JavelinAMX like this.
  7. MPE426HEMI

BTW, I’m not saying the Sedona is better than Pacifica, by no means. In my opinion, the exterior visual execution of Sedona is more to my liking. Also, because a majority of people choose one thing over another was never one of my “pros” for making a decision.

vipergg and Erik Latranyi like this.
  8. MPE426HEMI

SM says the rest rest of the company is a “stump” without Jeep. Bahaahaa! Saying stuff like that is probably why he can’t find a partner to buy the company out. If the rest of the company is a stump, then he shouldn’t have cut off so many limbs to save his Italian brands. I doubt if even Kiundai would be interested.

valiant67 likes this.
  9. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

To actually believe company's make decisions on talk and rhetoric o_O

jorisr likes this.
  10. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Member

Oh Kiundai would be very interested in Jeep/RAM. Not so much Chrysler, as Genesis/Hyundai already cover the position better than what Chrysler currently does. Maybe they would be willing to keep Dodge as it currently is, a niche, performance oriented brand. I mean Kiundai really doesn't have that in it's portfolio either, and Dodge could be infused with much needed new product.

Of course Kiundai could decide they don't need to waste capital keeping the Dodge brand around as well.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  11. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

For all his faults, Iacocca never disparaged the company, any of the brands or any of the vehicles while he was in charge. This “stump” remark isn’t the first example of Dergio’s attitude concerning the brands that make his Alfa dream possible.

vipergg, nastijeep, Ian and 4 others like this.
  12. JavelinAMX

Yet cheerleaders fawn over how brilliant he supposedly is. SMH.

The logic of repeatedly making such ill-advised comments can be depicted by this picture :

[​IMG]

The snake must be thinking, "Ya gotta eat; but this ain't no way to live ..." .

13. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

The Koreans are not totally dissimilar to the Japanese. If they go into a merger, they will be in charge. Hyundai Kia represent a lot of national pride. At most, I see a strategic partnership.

I really don’t see a merger in the future of these two companies.

14. JavelinAMX

I once worked for an entity who dealt with companies similar to HK. We also dealt directly with HK.

They are very interesting people. I don't think they will ever get beyond the Japanese invasion and occupation of Korea.

However, they have moved to make themselves a force to be reckoned with in business where chief competitors are Japanese-originated Names ( the obvious : 'Yota, Honda, Nissan, Fuji Heavy and so forth ). They are parlaying their 'Come from Behind' success into a near win.

It could possibly be that the right arrangements in a relationship with FCA ( primarily one where they at least eventually take over ) would be quite a Coup for them to give the impression that they make it as King of the Hill as an historic accomplishment.

15. adaptabl

adaptabl Active Member

No merger. A takeover. Hyundai takes over jeep, Ram and Minivan and kills everything else. Makes perfect sense.

16. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

The Japanese and Koreans take care of their own. I can't recall many Japanese automakers buying out a non-Japanese one. If a Japanese automaker decides to compete head-on with Jeep, it will most likely build a Toyota, Nissan or Mitsubishi that does just that. And I still have to see the Korean automaker that willingly takes over another automaker. Both Korean and Japanese CEOs display a national loyalty and pride I wish their American counterparts did.

Having worked with both, Korean and Japanese automakers, I have found a key difference between the two: while the Japanese encourage consensus building, the Koreans resort to a more top-down autocratic system. The result is a slower but more deliberate Japanese process, vs a faster but less consistent Korean one.

17. MPE426HEMI

I agree. If that's his attitude towards the company, then he's the Head Stump, IMO.

vipergg and nastijeep like this.
  18. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

You might want to check out the Sedona sales figures which are in a free-fall despite being the lest expensive minivan. I would argue they really DON'T have it figure out. BTW, my favorite part of the Pacifica design is the reverse D-pillar. Just goes to show that looks are subjective... Sales figures aren't.

somber likes this.
  19. MPE426HEMI

Good for you Dagar. I find the back ugly and the front is typical Chrysler boring. Nothing refreshing about it. My decision to buy something rarely is based on who got what or if John Public has an opinion on it. It’s my money and I’ll buy what I need and like. I’ll agree they got the correct name on it. We’ll see what’s in a free fall when DGC leaves. I’ve seen 2 Pacificas on the road in my area, one was a rental and the other was a Courtesy vehicle for a local FCA dealership. More DGC’s and the rest imports. Toyotas everywhere now. My area is only a small sample of course.

#299 MPE426HEMI, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    vipergg likes this.
  20. MPE426HEMI

Pacifica seems to be doing pretty great in the US market. Not so much in Canada. We’re stuck on the Grand Caravan. Hopefully, when it leaves FCA will have some type of Pacifica trim to fill the void. The price has come down here a bit, but DGC is still a bargain compared to it. In my opinion and for my uses, the Pacifica is just too nice inside to be using it the way I used a minivan. It would be a waste for me.