Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyundai could become world’s No. 1 with FCA merger: report

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Hemidakota, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Ian

Ian Car Freak

I'm still convinced that the Grand Caravan not only sells on price. It's name and more "sporty" or "aggressive" styling has to have an impact

vipergg, Deckard_Cain and MPE426HEMI like this.
  2. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Definitely agree. There’s more than one factor there.

vipergg and Ian like this.
  3. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

I agree with you, dont like the backend at all on the Pacifica.Also to me it looks like they sit too low to the ground though that could be a visual illusion , I don't know. The front end looks like it came off a 90's era Sebring .

cygnus, adaptabl and MPE426HEMI like this.
  4. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Which Sebring would that be? Because I can't think of a Sebring that looks anything like a Pacifica.

jclick likes this.
  5. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Do you argue with people while they take a Rorschach test also? What he sees is what he sees. How do you argue about that?

MPE426HEMI and JavelinAMX like this.
  6. MPE426HEMI

I'm not trying to dig anyone who likes the style. It's just too over the top for me, not my flavor. Maybe the next redesign? A van that's lower is definitely something I don't want for my neck of the woods also. I recently looked at one at the dealership, while getting some of my favorite Mopar supplies and that van looks HUGE in the flesh. To be honest, it's just too nice inside to use it the way I'd need to be using it......as a minivan. I am hoping if or when DGC goes away, there'd at least be an equivalent replacement either from the Pacifica platform or somewhere else.

7. MPE426HEMI

I don't know about brilliant, but I wish he'd keep some of those comments to himself. He don't need to be showing everyone his "hand". (Did this guy ever play poker?)
    I wonder if he even thinks about the people who actually have to work there, payday to payday, for a living when he pretty much derides his own bread and butter products. It's alright for him.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  8. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

No, I was just wondering which Sebring he thought looked like the Pacifica. Maybe if said which one he is talking about, I would see what he sees.

9. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Yeah, they are bigger than they look in the ads, for sure. Maybe we'll get some kind of Doblo variant as a working minivan, or something like that. It would actually make some sense to have a Fiat model as an alternative to the DGC, and to offer it in more of a stripper form that would define it as a working vehicle like the original Caravans without side windows did. It would also allow Chrysler mpv's to stay upmarket and keep the working vehicles as Ram products.

10. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Yes, but how would that differ from the Promaster City that they already offer? Dodge Ram ProMaster City: American Fiat Doblo (at https://allpar.com/trucks/ram/ProMaster-city.html )

11. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Right.

Ram would have to make a choice to compete with Ford Transit Passenger Titanium ( there is an XL? XLT model just below the Titanium Passenger).

As it stands right now, the equipment difference between the two is rather Night-and-Day in favor of Ford's van. Everything ( seats and such ) folds flat very near, or into the floor, making a huge almost seamless carpeted flat bed for 'Stuff' haulage. Very compelling.

But Chrysler know what they're doing with minivans. They could - unknown if they would - work the PMC nicely in that space. A matter of their determination. I'm one who'd want that competition. But Ram might be seeing the realities of following such a deeply entrenched segment-leader. For the short term, PMC appears to have the stronger drive-train, better weight-hauling capacity and a wee bit more cubic space. The PMC Wagon SLT is a dedicated 'Kombi' right now. One bench second-row seat with an unfinished rear section just behind.

12. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't pay much attention to that section of FCA, wasn't sure what Fiat version is already offered here. If they already have something, they should actually promote it a bit, as I've never seen an ad for one. Is it the same one that is used for camper/RV conversions in Europe? I think it would be a great add-on here as there are very few smaller conversions left. Dodge used to have a pretty good market with its B van motorhome conversions. They are still the vehicles of choice for most Canadian Camper conversions, and sell almost instantly when they come up for sale.

I just went to the page links you provided, Thanks, I learned a lot today, did not realize there was such a wide availability on these vehicles. FCA REALLY needs to do some advertising on this product. As an Allpar fan I wasn't aware of the variety available, so the average customer probably doesn't have a clue about them.

#312 jimboy, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  13. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

agreed

14. MPE426HEMI

PMD says SM is in constant negotiations with Hyundai and that the inevitable will happen. And that's the end of FCA. :(
    Apparently, SM has said as much so.

15. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Technical alliance, there's a thread on the other forms talking about it. And even if a merger does happen who cares. It's a win win

16. MPE426HEMI

Sorry, I forgot to add the sarcasm emoj at the end of that post.
    Yes, we all know about the alliance.
    A merger is not a win win for me. If it were I wouldn’t waste my time here and spend it on the Kiundai site!
    Not that I believe what PMD says, but he always seems to have it figured out. :rolleyes: Maybe he should be the next FCA CEO?

#316 MPE426HEMI, Dec 9, 2017 at 10:07 AM
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 10:14 AM
  17. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

Did Hyundai-Kia knew about the Jeep curse and if they have the antidote to cure it?:rolleyes:

superduckie5000 likes this.
  18. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

What Jeep curse? Several companies have now owned Jeep and sold it rather than going out of business.

19. Dragonkat

Dragonkat Member

I think they do, Peter Schreyer has done great things at KIA, imagine what he could do with Jeep!