Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I picked up this PT for the wife

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by junkman, Dec 8, 2017.

1. junkman

junkman Well-Known Member

For $600......

IMG_20170912_181555.jpg

Got it a couple months back, the seller claimed it needed a radiator fan as it would not kick on. I got it home (tow dolly) and started checking for voltage at the fan.... and found it to be unplugged! The plastic clip that locks the plug together was broken so one zip tie later and it was ready to go. We've driven it to Traverse City from Detroit with no problems.

I have one question- you can see the discoloration on the front bumper, I've seen other PT's with the same issue, what causes it and how do you get rid of it?

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

The fading is caused by the ultraviolet rays of the Sun. Not much you can do about it. I've seen products advertised that claim to bring the blackness back, but I don't know how well they really work.

3. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Flex seal work well.

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

They were from masking tape marks during assembly and subsequent sun (UV) exposure. There was a TSB on it a long time ago. It usually showed up a few months after purchase and never permanently rubbed out in repair attempts.
    I masked off my dad's bumpers, prepped and painted them with a generic gray plastic bumper paint. It has flex agents in it to stick to the plastic. Clean up any overspray afterwards.
    shw-tb102_xl.jpg

Dave Z and junkman like this.
  5. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Love the color on that PT. What year is it? I am a member of a PT Cruiser forum that you're going to need if you keep it. You'll have problems that will need addressing and you can't always rely on the few members here that own PT's. I'm not saying that IC and PT006 won't respond, but you may have to wait a while. Just keep that in mind. I'm on both forums every day.

6. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Agree with the bumper, we all live with it if we don't recoat the bumper. Good purchase. Love the little cars and you have a really nice looking one.

7. junkman

Pretty sure it's shale green, haven't seen too many in that color. It's got 177,000 miles on it, and after a tune up runs like new. BTW, the plugs were blown out to a .100' gap, I was amazed it actually ran at all.

The only issue it has is occasionally the ABS light comes on and kills traction control. It's most likely a bad connection somewhere, mainly happens if
    I hit a bump during a right turn.

8. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Get the paint code from either the drivers door sticker or the underhood body plate. It should begin with a 'P' (for primary color), followed by 2 more letters. PJR would be Rescue green. (Q would be the secondary color for 2-tone jobs).

dodge-paint-code-1.jpg

134161d1408994707-interpreting-body-code-plate-img_0720.jpg

If the ABS light comes on and goes out, a fault code should still be left behind in the ABS module memory. Some code readers at the local auto parts store may have one for free customer use that reads engine and ABS codes.
    What year is it?

9. junkman

2001. I have a code scanner that reads ABS codes, but does not read codes for this car. Reads the codes on GM cars fine, maybe this one is too old.

10. boblonben

boblonben MOPAR Guy
    Level III Supporter

Use the product 'Back to Black" it works but you will have reapply every few months, but it does a good job restoring the black color when used.

11. 2brits

2brits Member

Try washing it, then spray it with WD40

12. junkman

Did that, lasted about two days

13. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I've used the Mothers Back to Black too. It works all right, but as stated, you have to reapply it every few months.

14. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Flex seal gives a nice textured, tough finish. Hold up well on a bumper.

20170809_190559_resized.jpg

15. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Using a heat gun, albeit carefully, will bring the sheen back. I've done it many times before. It's a slow process. Just be careful. After keep it protected from the UV with your favorite protectant thereafter.

16. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Sounds like a terrific find ! Congratulations.

Great color. Nice wheels.

Hope all your effort pays-off as desired ( with all the parts and fixes ). That's a nice ride !