Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I screwed up on my ZJ--how bad?

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by redwheelwells, Apr 12, 2017.

1. redwheelwells

redwheelwells Active Member

Just reached 100k mi on my '98 5.2L ZJ Laredo 4X4. My "mysterious" surging idle had been behaving for some time, but recently came back. Heard that it's common for crankshaft position sensor to go bad, so thought I'd pre-empt a complete failure of it and possibly address the weird idle. Thought the factory shop manual made the change-out look doable.

After exposing some lower levels of skin and using a lot of different tools--some of which I inherited from my machinist dad, I got the old sensor off. Examined the bell-housing-mounted, "3-sided" rubber grommet for construction and condition, and thought the lower shoulder would make it hard to mount the new sensor with grommet first mounted on the sensor. Thought the upper shoulder would hold grommet in place in bell housing as I pushed new sensor into place. Wrong!!!

When I pushed on the new sensor, I guess I pushed the grommet into the bell housing!!!

Questions are: 1) where could I get a replacement grommet? 2) even if I get new grommet, isn't it bad for old one to be in bell-housing? Even though it's just rubber, couldn't it damage sensor or flywheel gears, or??? 3) do I need to remove tranny and retrieve grommet, or??? 4) should I use a thin film of my synthetic, non-silicone brake parts grease first on the sensor next time I try to install it? [that grease claims it would not damage rubber or plastic parts (like the sensor housing and the rubber grommet?)]

Many thanks in advance, Allpar-ers!!

#1 redwheelwells, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. redwheelwells

redwheelwells Active Member

Slept on it. Woke up and realized I could take off starter and torque converter lower cover panel. Did that and recovered grommet! This time I made sure upper lip of grommet stayed in place while carefully inserting smaller leading part of CrPS. Then inserted CrPS rest of way in, and painfully, slowly screwed in the capscrews. Not my favorite work to do. Small hands are best to reach the subject area. Mine are medium. Large hands, forget it!

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  3. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

That really is in a bad spot. Good job working it out. Always better to stop and think these problems through. It will percolate in your mind and the solution will eventually come to you....

wolfsblood07 likes this.