AF: I Tried To Buy a 14 Chrysler 200 Story Time | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Tried To Buy a 14 Chrysler 200 Story Time

Discussion in '200, Avenger/Sebring, Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze' started by Citation84, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

Woke up Saturday obsessed with the Sebring/200 and this time ready to pull the trigger. Found a 72,000 mile one on a lot here in Tucson with a respectable Car Fax and $8995.

That's about the same mileage as the car I'm driving [05 ION ] but I have been eyeing the Sebring/200 for a couple of years now. And this car, though a previous rental had a lot more of everything. A lot has changed in nine years.

It was a beautiful "true blue metallic". Not silver, white or black [thanks to the gawds]. So I put in my name and number on the internet site. And planned to go see it that Sunday with my little bro.

The salesman called back, said they were closed on Sunday. That was fine. He also said I could take it to get it checked by a third party mechanic.

So I went after church the next day [surprise no smell of sulphur or spinning head here]. Had to park across the street [four lanes of traffic on Speedway].

I went over that lot looking in every lane corner stack like a bum looking for aluminum cans and.... car was nowhere to be seen. Neither were the two Calibers I might have examined that were featured on their web site.

There was one 14 200 in Silver with 90,000 miles on it and paint fading on the roof for the same $8995 price.

I went around that lot a couple of times, not trusting that it wasn't there until it finally sunk in: no Chrysler 200 this week.

Top top it off all that lumbering around set off a sciatica/ bursitis episode in the middle of the night. That'll teach me.

So I guess I'm back to my senses. But It did get me to consider allowing for some niceties and a larger car. I've never had cruise [that worked], nor power windows or locks. Seems like the 200 had a lot of passive safety stuff that I could live with. And I can't get the 40" of headroom up front out of my heads.

Maybe I will re visit this after the first of the year. But I will tell you all: a slaesman on top of his game would have called me on Monday to find out where I was and if I was still interested [perhaps the car was parked inside], told me it had been sold, tried to sell me on something else. I was a live ready to rumble chump with an outta sight credit rating and cash for a down payment and.....nothing.
    Would have been worth it to him to tag my name and number if another 200 showed up.

So there it is. I had been looking forward to sharing it with y'all here on Allpar but all I got out of it was a literal pain in the a** !!!!!

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  2. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Hate when that happens. I let a pristine 95 Ram 2500 Cummins truck get away from me about 5 years ago because I futzed around. That's my story.

Citation84 likes this.
  3. Citation84

I almost never get that urge any longer, Tony. But I was ready to go. Should have gone on Saturday but it seemed way too late in the day.

4. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Shorter days do that. I know I don't like to be out late so much anymore, especially in winter.

Citation84 likes this.
  5. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

Too bad that you aren't interested in a '14 Sebring hardtop convertible in the blue you want, and with less than 20,000 miles. My wife will be trading hers off after the first of the year.
    200 Front view.JPG

ImperialCrown and Citation84 like this.
  6. Citation84

Gorgeous. Tuned into an episode of The Detail Geek on You Tube last night and he was doing an 01 or 02 that was just beautiful even dirty. Nice looking car. You treat your wife right, Gary.

Love the Valiant parked beside. My Sebring or 200 will share driveway space with my own 63 Signet !

I did order the 2007 Sebring and 2011 200 brochures from eBay as a consolation

7. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

We have a '98 Sebring JX with the V6. It is getting a little ratty, but still runs great, everything works and is a blast driving on nice days with the top down.
    I recently purchased a '16 200 S with the V6, AWD and fairly loaded. I did consider an older 200 or Avenger for less money, but the newer design 2015+ 200 is a so much nicer car. The 9-speed was vastly improved for 2016.
    The 3.6L Pentastar V6 is a lot stronger and more refined than the older 2.7L or 3.5L. The 2.4L 4-cylinder is much stronger, economical and more refined with the later MultiAir.
    I hope you find the car you are looking for.

Citation84 likes this.
  8. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

I also had a '63 Signet hardtop that I bought with very low mileage in '66. It made me a real fan of A-bodies that stayed with me until I finally found this one about ten years ago. My Valiant is a '64 200 that had most of the Signet trim added when I restored it a few years ago. The entire 225 Super Six drivetrain has been rebuilt and upgraded. Also the suspension, steering, and disk brakes are from a later A-body, so I absolutely love this car! Do you have an photos to post of your Signet?

BTW, I noticed I called my wife's car a Sebring instead of a 200! I guess old habits die hard, as each of us has owned Sebring convertibles in the past.

Citation84 likes this.
  9. Citation84

Thanks for that Imperial. There's an 11 or 12 up in Gilbert in that beautiful Autumn Bronze with light beige leather, 36,000 miles. V6. Two owners. Too good to be true I think and about 12,000. Think I'm putting this on pause and doing new 15" wheels, dynamat and a new stereo with back up camera and possibly after market cruise.
    My frenzy has passed for the moment for better or worse.

I may be in for the shock of my life after 15 years out of tghe new /late model market. I had also been obsessing about a 2010 or so Acura TL,[ which I still think looks like something out of the future and hated when new], but did some research and discovered it's v6 only, premium gas and sucks oil at a terrible rate. No thanks. Look but don't touch, I guess.

#9 Citation84, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  10. Citation84

Great stuff. I have had mine since it was just an old car. 3 speed manual. It's carried my Mopar flag for decades now,

I had it in a show a couple weeks ago. The only A body, much less manual, there. The Ampco Oiler got a lot of comment.

But backing it out I hit that bloody retaining wall next to the drive way and banged up the lower rear fender. Again. That's the one with the new sheetmetal piece installed. Ordered a replacement for the damage at the wheel opening from Classic Industries. But we showed what we brung that day.
    Got some hokey wheel covers for fun. I have the originals with the "V"s another plain set and now these for entertainment purposes.

Attached Files:

11. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

Looks identical to mine...except I had a red interior, and a TorqueFlite transmission.

Citation84 likes this.
  12. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

You are right to be obsessed with the 200. It is a great working man's sedan made in Detroit by Mopar. Get one before they are all old and junked. You will love it.

13. Citation84

Friends to the end Gary. In all the years I've owned it I've never even thought to sell or trade it.

14. Citation84

That's part of the reason. The Autumn Bronze one I saw at the dealer here reminded me of my Dad's 72 Ambassador in a similar color. And also the 78 Fury II in Spinnaker White he and my Mother drove.

His 84 Olds Ciera influenced my interest in the X, N, J, A body FWD cars of GM, so yeah, you nailed it. His interests were golf and sports. He'd be surprised what a profound influence he was in my automotive tastes. We never even talked about it. I was always cars,old movies, 40s swing music.

Something nice, the right size, available to everyman. Plus the fact that arm chair experts and journos hate them and Chrysler with an irrational fury makes the drive to get one even sweeter.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  15. pug-man

pug-man Well-Known Member

Chrysler derangement syndrome.

Citation84 and Tony K like this.
  16. Citation84

That's so true. New Chrysler 200 ? Just take the Sebring tests we did, change the name and the dates and we're good. Print it.

They did the same thing with the Saturn ION even though it was reworked for 05 with over 800 changes it shared with the new Cobalt.