Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idea for Dodge Journey replacement (2016)

Discussion in 'Photo and Video Lab' started by james.mooney., Jun 25, 2014.

1. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

Based on the current JS Journey:

(This is my first photoshop-- please be gentle!!)

2017 Dodge Vandal.JPG

2. md80891

md80891 Active Member

[​IMG]

Crosshairs and clamshell doors ala RX8 with a little bit of a stretch or four doors
    \ ti

3. eigib56

eigib56 Well-Known Member

Looks like a Challenger front end, Chevy Astro windshield/cowl, the rest, Honda Element. Nice job, for a first effort, though.

4. james.mooney.

The idea was to make a modern B-Van, roughly the size of the current Journey. The chop is based on the current Journey. I kept the wheelbase, raised the beltline, increased the height, and gave it sliding doors.

I totally effed up the front end angle and proportions.

My thought was since Chrysler is getting a midsize CUV, a sporty "muscle van" might be a better people-mover for the reimagined Dodge, especially with the engine and AWD of the upcoming Dart SRT. I think a lifted Jeep version with improved approach/departure angles and the Cherokee's suspension and AWD systems would be pretty sweet too!

I think, if you can look past my photoshop ineptitude, that it would be pretty cool, like a modern A-Team van. However, I showed it to my boyfriend and he called it a "rape van." Obviously, that was not what I intended!!!!

:)

http://www.allpar.com/photos/dodge/1972/tradesman.jpg

66coronet likes this.
  5. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

A good design doesnt copy. It comes from outside the box. For example-sliding doors....the are other methods to get the same or better capability with different thinking.

Think about how your elbow works when holding a medieval shield across your chest and how a sword strike horizontally moves it under contact.

james.mooney. likes this.
  6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Overall, I do like the Challenger grille with an xB body... well, compared to the ugly stuff out there now with square bodies. Bob is right though... I think Chrysler is feeling a little constrained from stylistic innovation at the moment. They’re working on getting everything to work together, and I'd argue they did that well on the 200.

The first generation Intrepid’s design was terrific IMHO but not terribly original if you broke it down into component parts. Only when putting it together did it become original. The second gen was original (see picture at bottom of page) but I didn't think it was attractive.

7. james.mooney.

Thanks for the feedback! While I did just slap a Challenger grill on the front, I would think that a production version, or even a concept, would have unique headlights (possibly single round or rounded squares), a unique grill pattern, etc. But I do like the idea of that kind of integrated headlight/ grill opening that the Challenger has for a Dodge van.

My idea was that this would be a retro-styled (like the Challenger) homage to the SWB B-vans, particularly the Street Van, and that it would be a replacement for the SWB minivans (the chop is based on the current Journey with its 114" WB), with a lot more swagger and an AWD SRT version (as the new Dodge D-CUV coming in 2016 will have). The utility of a SWB mini with the attitude of a Dodge. Hell, one could even call it the Dodge Caravan.

#7 james.mooney., Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    66coronet likes this.
  8. 66coronet

66coronet Well-Known Member

To me it looks like you took the 1984-1990 minivan and put a challenger grill on it. In which to me is an improvement to [​IMG]
    I do think there is room for a dodge minivan that uses maybe a 2.0L turbo & 2.4L & maybe a 3.2L. But not RWD. Journey to me is the Dodge avenger wagon. Since it is a 4dr. So what if it's taller than a normal wagon, ie cross over. It's a wagon. I still like sliding doors. But I suppose that's what the Ram Promaster city is suppose to handle for that van segment of 4cyl . For bigger RWD there is the durango. I suppose they can off shoot that with a taller cargo roof & sliding back doors for a B van like vehicle. Or Maybe take the Ram 1500 & chassis cab it with sort of box/van cargo rear section with sliding van door. But like the chevy & Ford vans that are like the dodge B van, they are being replaced by Ford transit & MB Sprinter & promaster types. I think Chevrolet is the last hold out on the B van style. As long as those sales are poor, there will never be a comeback of the B van. I suppose there is limited need for a van that needs to tow.
    As for Journey replacement, I suppose what ever platform that is replacing the 200.

9. 66coronet

66coronet Well-Known Member

I wish the Dodge Caravan had so many more options.
    Like you suggest, bring back the short wheel base version with maybe a high roof option 2.4L 9sp (instead of made in turkey promaster city - my opinion) with challenger grill.
    I miss the 1970's-90's custom vans.
    I wish some dodge executive would get with after market - like the PT cruiser had so many front end options, make the dodge caravan & grand caravan great again. Plus like the 1960's A100 van, a pickup version, a custom camper van based off the Ram C/V. Maybe something like the fiat doblo workup, being a flat bed with rear dump or side dump capable. Pickup with short wheel base 2.4L, long wheel base 3.6L. Like the vans use to have before fold in floor seating, there was AWD, Why not AWD chassis cab dodge caravans / pickups?
    Even a 2016 dodge Charger headlights on the current grand caravan would look cool.