Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idle Speed

Discussion in 'Dakota, 1998-2013 Durango and Aspen' started by Glopart, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Glopart

Glopart Active Member

I have a 2006 4.7 HO, 5 sp auto, 4X4 Dakota with about 76k miles. Recently, even with the hot weather, I've noticed the idle speed surging when first started on a cold start. I say cold start but it's actually about 75 deg. ambient or higher. The idle speed will surge to about 1500 RPM down to 700 or 800 then back up and back down about 3 or 4 times before settling in at what looks like about 700. Once I put it in gear and drive off everything is fine. Subsequent warm engine starts through the day are fine.

Is this a sign of something or not a concern?

No codes and the truck runs like a top.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Does the A/C work? Can you hear the click of the compressor engaging? If you turn the A/C completely off, does it still surge?
    Has the throttle body blades and bores been cleaned recently?

3. Glopart

Glopart Active Member

The AC does work but I'm not sure whether it's been on or off during the surge. I'll try it and see.
    I also thought about the throttle body since I've NEVER cleaned it. Do you recommend a particular brand
    of cleaner?

4. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

Throttle body cleaner not carb cleaner.
    You can use an old tooth brush to scrub the bore and the edges of the throttle plate. Spray the cleaner through the bypass port for the AIS. Also remove any vacuum hoses from the throttle body and spray the cleaner through the vacuum passages.

5. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Also check the wires sensor for any fraying. If you see any, cut off the offending piece and splice the ends together.

6. Glopart

Glopart Active Member

Finally got around to cleaning the throttle body as described above. Been a little busy. Looked at sensor wires but didn't see any damage.
    Surging problem seems to be gone. AND, if possible, the off idle and part throttle response seems better. Might just be my imagination though.
    Thanks for the tips.