Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ignition control module problem

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by Buzzys Hot Rods, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Buzzys Hot Rods

Bought a 1936 Fargo truck about 3 months ago with a mid 70's 318. Runs great, but have had problems starting. Was told the ignition control module had to be grounded to the body. It is fastened to the firewall and bolted bare metal to bare metal. Replaced the module with a new one right after I got it. Has quit on me again and checked the ground which appears to be good. New to the Mopar ignition system so any suggestions?

2. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Welcome to allpar. Is the starting problem cranking but not turning over, or turning over and immediately stalling? Are you getting spark? If yes, I'd suspect that your problem is fuel or vacuum related. If no, it could be one of a number of problems. Is the rotor spinning when you try to start it? If not, the distributor or timing chain may need replacement. If yes, it might be the coil, the starter relay, or something as simple as a disconnected wire.

Regarding the ignition control module, I've had problems with those made in China. If that's where yours is made, you might want to swap it for one made in the US or Mexico. Some parts stores can test the module for you. Also, make sure you have one for the specific model year of your engine. They changed during the late 1970s with the implementation of the Lean Burn system.

#2 Scrounge, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  3. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Yeah, modules had a so-so record. Check the ignition resistor, another common problem. It should be the one with 4 prongs. I've seen aftermarket rotors with shorter tip lengths which lowers the energy going to the spark plug.

4. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Air gap on the pickup is critical, I don't recall the exact spec, .010" comes to mind and it had to be set with a non-magnetic gauge. Older feeler gauge sets used to include a brass one just for the Chrysler electronic ignition.