Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm back......again.........check engine light question

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Brenda, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Brenda

Brenda Member

Hello good people! Can't catch a break today-some jerk side-swiped my husband's car last night and on my way home tonight my check engine light came on and the car is "jerking/bucking" when I push on the gas pedal. This is a very well maintained 2005 PT Cruiser-new plugs etc 6 months ago. We're thinking O2 sensor time? The car has 86,000 miles on it. Has two year old fuel pump in it.Thanks for any help!! PS its sitting at the repair shop now.

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Anything is a guess without knowing the code(s) that set the check engine light.

Doug D likes this.
  3. Brenda

Brenda Member

OK thanks! Luckily I was able to take it right to the repair shop and drop it off when it happened.

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The 'jerking/bucking' would sound like an engine cylinder misfire to me. Misfire codes are P0300 to P0304.
    Other possible issues could be O2 sensor or crankshaft/camshaft position sensors failing.
    If it has the correct spark plug type installed, my next suspect would be spark plug wires (arcing).
    It should have the Champion RE16MC or NGK LZTR4A-11 for non-turbo PT engines.
    Obviously they are too young to be worn out, but new spark plugs can foul or arc:

hqdefault.jpg

20160728_190046-jpg.1112420

5. Brenda

Brenda Member

Thanks!! I just hope it isn't anything too expensive!

6. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Well, like Valiant67 said, get the codes run on it first and go from there. I'm guessing that when it got hit, that maybe a ground got busted inside the driver side fender. But I'm not a mechanic and just speculating. Let us know what the shop says.

7. Brenda

Brenda Member

My Cruiser didn't get hit, my husband's big Crown Vic did. :)

8. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Just an easy thing to check. My 06 cruiser had the rubber cap plug that is on the power brake booster blow/fall off due to softening over the years. Ran lousy at idle and lost power.

9. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

You confused us, Brenda. This should have probably been posted in the non mopar tech support area. Sorry to hear about your husband's car, but thank GOD it wasn't a Mopar!

#9 chuzz, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  10. Brenda

Brenda Member

No, its a question for this board, I should have maybe been more clear about the "bucking/jerking" issue. The check engine light came on, I was driving with the ac on. I pulled over and shut the ac off. When I then pushed the gas pedal to start driving again I got some resistance, like a jerking and then the car started moving. It did this once more on the way to my garage which is only a mile away. And there she sits, hopefully I will hear from them today, lucky I was able to drop it off without an appointment. Thanks for all your help!

11. Brenda

Brenda Member

2005 PT Cruiser 86,000 miles on it.

12. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, have you EVER had the throttle body cleaned? And when was your last spark plug change? Recommended every 30,000 miles with Champion Copper plugs. What confused me was where you tied your husbands car getting hit into the same statement about your PT jerking and bucking. But, in my own defense, I've had two brain surgeries, so I get confused rather easily.

13. Brenda

Brenda Member

Hi chuzz!! Yes, I have had the throttle body cleaned-about six months ago when I had my plugs changed. Turned out to be the cam shaft position sensor-$180 part & labor. I just spazz out when something goes wrong with my car, can't afford to buy a new one (people say buy a new car, I say give me the $400 bucks a month I don't have lol) and its just easier to fix it as long as it isn't major. Thanks for all your help and good luck with your brain!! :)

chuzz likes this.
  14. Brenda

Brenda Member

Camshaft position sensor failed, all better now, thanks for the reply!! :)[/quote][/QUOTE]

#14 Brenda, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2017
    ImperialCrown likes this.