Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm two for two now with TJ frame rot

Discussion in 'Wrangler, CJ, Wagoneer, other traditional Jeeps' started by AutoTechnician, Jul 21, 2016.

1. AutoTechnician

AutoTechnician Well-Known Member

This is my 2nd TJ to break a control arm off the frame. This is a 2004 TJ, and there wasn't any sign of rot/rust from outside the frame. It rotted from the inside out. Already reported it to NHTSA, and I'm trying to get everyone else I know with TJ frame rot issues to report them to NHTSA as well. It's absurd for a 12 year old vehicle to have suspension components rot off.
    [​IMG]

2. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

Wow! Almost as bad as the Toyota frames that were rotting clean in half!

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

4. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

What was the mileage? Do you live in the "rust belt" and drive the vehicle in winter?

5. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Wow, that's crazy. It looks pretty clean too. It looks like Morris 4X4 has seen this stuff before.

6. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

It has happened on other vehicles as well. I live in Salt Belt (Rochester), NY. The front wheels kick up road spray and throw it right into the frame rail through that control arm opening. If dirt and gravel are already inside the frame rail, it will hold the moisture in and stay damp. The salt water will be active on the metal 24/7.
    It almost looks like a fatigue break of the weakened weld also. It broke pretty much at the weld. That area gets flexed by the arm going over bumps.
    It is sad when it happens, but it doesn't mean that the vehicle has to be scrapped if you install frame repair caps.
    I do like the TJ jeeps. They seem simple and 'right-sized' for my needs.