AF: Imagining the Next-Gen Durango | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imagining the Next-Gen Durango

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Ryan, Jul 17, 2019.

1. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Journey should be moved to the same platform as Stelvio with different tuning and drivetrains. Great basic platform, and would move Journey out of the “tweener” size category.

Chase300 likes this.
  2. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Well both Chrysler CUVs exist the question is why they haven't been implemented. Its not like they are fairy dust. Hell one of them is driving around now in China wearing a Jeep badge.

3. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Does GC conduct a higher price? Or does it just sell better with the Jeep nameplate and history? When comparing Durangos and GCs, the price is similar between similar models. For example, Citadel vs Overland. Summit on GC is maybe 1 trim above anything on Durango, but I always found the price rather comparable. MSRP on my Citadel I'm picking up on Sunday was $60k.

TripleT likes this.
  4. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Maybe controlling the volume is how the maintain similar transaction?

5. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Its sounding like Durango is going to go along like the Journey....no updates other than maybe a new color here and there.

6. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Maybe they'll bring back a nameplate from the past and move the lower trim levels to it. :D

gforce2002 and GasAxe like this.
  7. hotmach

hotmach Not an insider !

After what they have done to Journey when they finally release its replacement do we actually think they will call it Journey ?
    I really hope they don't do the same to Durango.

8. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Do not be surprised if the Journey replacement comes as a Jeep.

Keep in your mind, from the FCA presentation, the category of "Urban UV"....Jeeps made for roads more than trails.

Some say they may only be sold in markets outside NAFTA. Some claim it is opening the door for softer Jeeps. We will see.

9. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

They've made it clear all models will have a Trail Rated variant. If it can't be Trail Rated, it won't be a Jeep.

JKU12, HotCarNut and GasAxe like this.
  10. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Manley pulled Jeep back from the crossovers + Wrangler brink. Until he’s gone AND we see definitive, no chance of trail rated product, I’d say your fears are unnecessary.

#50 GasAxe, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2019
    Zagnut27, tlc and HotCarNut like this.
  11. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

But there is no longer any hard and fast requirements for what makes anything Trail Rated. So any product could come as a Jeep, so long as they are able to tweak it a little and slap Trail Rated on it.

gforce2002 likes this.
  12. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

What's your source on that?

GasAxe likes this.
  13. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

That may be true compared to the old days... but have they given any evidence so far that current Trail Rated versions are basically in badge name only?

I think the biggest reason for not having hard and fast requirements is so that vehicles like the Compass and Renegade can have quality Trail Rated versions that are appropriate for those types of vehicles.... without needing to prove they can cross the Rubicon. This doesn't mean their Trail Rated versions are just lip service though.

GasAxe likes this.
  14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yes, from what’s been said here before, Mr Manley fought to keep a certain level of off-road ability for the Jeep lineup when others wanted to soften them further. So in Mr Manley, I trust...until proven otherwise.

I’ve developed a good deal of respect for the current lineup, some obviously more than others, but I think the engineers worked wonders with these vehicles despite them having to use essentially car platforms that weren’t necessarily the best choice for off-road vehicles. My main gripe with them is, the best level of ability they have out of the box is pretty much the limit for ability due to the limits on being able to modify them. That being said, out of the box Trailhawks all have pretty good ability. Can they be better? Sure, you always want to improve and add more capability...your competitors are likely not sleeping.

GasAxe likes this.
  15. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Exactly @JKU12 and @Zagnut27. There’s no reason to create hate and discontent over possibilities when there is ample evidence to show Jeep continues to be on the path of most off road capable vehicles. There’s plenty wrong with FCA that we don’t have to poop all over absolutely everything.

danbek, wtxiceman, Ryan and 2 others like this.
  16. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

A 3-row CUV selling for the same price as a 2-row CUV. Now you can understand that Jeep commands more margin than Dodge.

17. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Although I don't have a source for it other than personal experience, my own ownership of both a Renegade TH and now a Compass TH indicates to me that the Trail Rating badge seems to be a sliding scale. Although both have the trappings of more capable Jeeps, and I don't question that they have more capability than the majority of their respective segments, their lack of a true low range is pretty limiting to any kind of consequential off-roading. I have found the Compass Trailhawk in particular more on-road oriented - its grabby brakes, lack of low range, and rather wallowy suspension on undulating services really limit it to basically rough on-road travel. Perfectly fine for a rough gravel road with minor washouts, but I wouldn't even consider taking it on anything worse. I guess the point is, if the Wrangler Rubicon is Trail Rated, and the Compass Trailhawk is also Trail Rated, what does the rating mean?

18. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

It means whatever the head of FCA/Jeep wants it to mean. Manley convinces Sergio to spend the extra money to beef up the weak crossover Jeeps to what they are today. They aren’t all perfect but they are darn sight better than the competition.

Anyhow, Jeeps present and future capability has little to do with the Durango rendering. The off topic Jeep discussion is kind of like the good ol’ days.;)

gforce2002 and Ryan like this.
  19. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Isn't jeeps trail rated only given out to the vehicles that can get down the main trial of there's out in the west or whatever? If it can't make it down that trail it doesn't get the rating and won't be a jeep

20. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Bob Sheaves for one.