AF: Infinity Stereo problem | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infinity Stereo problem

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by urr, Jan 23, 2020.

1. urr

urr Active Member

I recently acquired an Infinity stereo(the 5 band equalizer version) off of Ebay.However there is an issue with the unit that was not disclosed.I am hoping to remedy this issue so I don't have to trash the guy's feedback other than him taking 10 days to ship the unit .Here is the issue....the unit thinks a cassette is inserted,but there is no cassette in there.The display shows the cassette symbol ,time,dolby symbol and the number 70 for some reason.You can engage ffd and rewind and hear the capstans whirring.Should I find a cassette and pop it in and eject it to see if that will deactivate the tape deck.I would like to listen to the radio,the am/fm buttons have no effect.Could I attempt to use a thin blade screwdriver and lift the cassette tray?

Any ideas people?

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Is the tape loading carriage in the tape play position? What happens if you press 'eject'?
    There is a switch on the tape deck that senses when a tape is in the unit. It may be stuck or bent.
    When servicing tape decks with a stuck tape, some people would force a tape cartridge out. This would bend metal and break plastic parts.
    If you are going to keep the unit, start by removing the front panel to get a better look at the deck. You may not see enough by looking in the cassette door.

Jeremy has some well-written stereo repair pages here:
    Chrysler Infinity I Cassette Stereo: Takeapart / Repair Guide (at https://www.allpar.com/stereo/Infinity/index.html )

An example of a fragile leaf switch here:
    [​IMG]

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  3. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Unfortunately, that seems to be a common problem on those units. I have had a couple of them that the deck was bad on, or went bad after a while. As IC posted, go through the procedures he linked and good luck with it, working correctly they are great sounding systems.

4. urr

urr Active Member

I was playing with the unit today.Repeatedly punching the eject button and suddenly the am band would pop up for a second and then the stereo would go back to the tape symbol. So I hit the eject and placed the blade of a small knife into the flap and trapped the cassette cage in the up position and voila! the radio is functional and sounds great even with the original factory speakers.So I guess I need to take it apart and disconnect the belt or whatever linkage that actuates the cassette tray.

Now I guess that 4 new speakers will be in my future.I used to have good luck with Pioneer and Audiovox speakers.Here lately I have been hearing good things about Rockford .Any Recommendations?Limited budget and listen to classic rock,country and talk radio at moderate volume.

5. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Unless you have the external amplifier, you are stuck with either adding one or the factory amplified speakers.

6. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

When loading a cassette into the holder, you are pushing against an over-center spring that offers resistance. At a certain point, the over-center spring will pull the cassette in, the holder will trip the cassette sense switch and drop it down into the player.
    It is possible that the holder is stuck or sprung in the tape-in position. This will keep the sense switch thinking that there is a tape to play and it reverts to 'tape' instead of going to 'radio'.
    You may be able to manually grasp the cassette holder and pull it into the tape cassette release position. This will keep it in radio mode.
    Removing the belt may not do anything for you except keep it auto-reversing the tape player.
    If the image below is similar, the 'looped' spring is the over-center spring. The white plastic finger, if it is all the way back will keep the tape sense switch engaged. The holder has to be all the way up and finger all the way forward. The image shows what the tape deck should look like in order to be in the 'radio' mode:

[​IMG]