NewsThis really is the 2018 Wrangler “JL” • Red vs black keys: Real-world Hellcat performance • Windsor loses Transport

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Intermittent Carburetor Issue [Mikuni]

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by William D., Mar 16, 2017.

1. William D.

William D. Member

Hi all,

I've been having an issue recently since I added two cans of Seafoam to the fuel tank, and ran about 3/4's of it through. I refilled the tank with non-ethanol, and have an intermittent issue where when slowing down (say to turn from a main road to a secondary with no oncoming traffic, or into my driveway) and making a right turn, the car will simply cut out. I click it into neutral, and it will restart fine, and I go on about my business. When the next right turn comes up, sometimes it will do it, sometimes it will not. If I come to a stop completely and turn, it hasn't done it from what I recall.

It's odd. I'm not afraid the car will leave me, but it's a touch embarrassing when I have a passenger. Maybe it's just time for the Weber swap.

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

Sounds like it could be a float issue.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  3. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES" Level 2 Supporter

I second that. It's always been a float issue when I've seen or heard of that happening.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  4. William D.

William D. Member

Is there an adjustment or anything, or is replacing the carb the best route?

5. dana44

dana44 Well-Known Member Ad-Free Member

Much cheaper to simply adjust the float level. It seems to be working otherwise, so save the money. You could rebuild the whole carb which would give you the float level measurements, or get or use the book, which would have the float level adjustment requirements.

6. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

The porous plastic float itself has probably absorbed gasoline and is sinking. This will cause a rich mixture. Best to replace the float if its age isn't known. At this point, it may be best to rebuild the carb. If the gaskets/seals have dried out from storage, they can shrink and leak when the vehicle is put back on the road.
    I replace any float over 5-6 years old.

7. William D.

William D. Member

Doesn't float replacement require carb disassembly anyways? Are floats still available for these? Float is 35 years old, and original to the car. Carb has been untouched. Vehicle was also in storage for 18 years. No leaks though.

8. ImperialCrown

Internal air/fuel leaks.
    Yes it's probably time for a rebuild or replace (with a reman)?
    As I remember, the float isn't adjusted by bending a tang. Float height is adjusted by adding or subtracting shims (washers) between the needle seat and top cover to raise or lower it.
    Mopar (Mitsubishi) float & pin kit part # MD606844 or Standard part # FL75 or BWD part # CF534.
    Mopar (Mitsubishi) float adjustment shim kit part # MD606952.
    Mopar (Mitsubishi) carb gasket set (exc. Canada) part # MD608127.
    Google around. Make inquiries. Use these part numbers in your search.

9. chuzz

chuzz Active Member

Check your motor mounts and make sure one is not broken. I had a brother years ago that had a Fury that kept doing the same thing. Turns out, a motor mount was broken and whenever he made that turn, the engine would shift and pinch off the fuel line and kill the engine. When it shifted back, fuel would flow again and the car would start and run fine. I'm not saying that's your problem, just another possibility.

10. William D.

William D. Member

DODGE K-Car 1981 to 83 with 2.6L ENGINE with MIKUNI CARBURETOR Part# CRY-601 | eBay (at http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-K-Car-1981-to-83-with-2-6L-ENGINE-with-MIKUNI-CARBURETOR-Part-CRY-601-/381725628262?hash=item58e09ed766:g:8sIAAOSwExJXolGf&vxp=mtr )

I'm assuming this would be what I need? The ad says 81-83, but the description says '84. It looks like mine. Honestly, for $170, I wouldn't even bother trying to rebuild the nightmare of parts that I see clustered together behind my radiator.

Motor mounts are good, replaced them all about 2 months ago. :)

11. ImperialCrown