AF: Interesting read. | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting read.

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Adventurer55, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Thank you. I honestly do worship the Chrysler part of FCA, but I'm not blind either.

Donte Lindsey and Ernesto like this.
  2. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

So the bar here is if your not constantly critical of things that happen 3 years ago that you don't agree with even though time has shown the wisdom of that decision. And you don't pollute every thread with the same repetitive claim Your Worshipping FCA... Gee thanks for clearing that up for us.

page2171, MoparJoe and freshforged like this.
  3. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Seems whatfcashoulddo.com is available.

MoparJoe likes this.
  4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

It would seem any arguments concerning the success or failure of FCA’s plans are a moot point. We won’t be able to judge that one way or another for several years to come. History is not written by contemporaries, it’s written by those in the future looking back. So let’s all take a step back and a deep breath, and let it go.

GasAxe likes this.
  5. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

My concern right now is that Chrysler and Dodge brand have exited the small and mid sedan markets but they have yet to bring in new products to fill those holes in the lineup. I fully understand the shift away from cars. The problem I see is that Chrysler and Dodge brand are now EXTREMELY late to the party where CUV's are concerned. This is also why Journey being so dated is concern - they're essentially burning the Dodge reputation in the CUV market and Chrysler brand doesn't exist as far as those buyers are concerned. So for Chrysler starting from 0% market share it's going to be a long, uphill, expensive battle to sell CUV's at any sort of volume that makes them profitable. Is FCA willing to essentially lose money on Chrysler branded CUVs for several years until they bite and claw their way into a crowded market? Unless they somehow make lighting strike twice with another PT Cruiser sort of hit it's going to be a real tough go.

And Dodge "performance" is probably going to have to include some CUV styles in the near future. Even the big performance brands are making CUV variants now.

6. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yes, with all of the talk of switching to CUV’s, up to now they’ve really only replaced old product with new product in the same or similar segments. The replaced Liberty with Cherokee (arguably a different segment?), old Compass with new Compass, Patriot with Renegade (again, different segment?). Durango, Caravan, and Journey have not been replaced, there are no new Dodges added to the lineup yet. Pacifica was added, but once again, it replaced T&C, 200 was dropped but not replaced with a CUV yet, and 300 soldiers on like the dinosaur it is perceived to be, and the rumored CUV’s have yet to make an appearance.

They’ve been retooling and upgrading manufacturing plants which will help them run efficiently into the future which is always a good thing, but they may end up being late to the CUV party if they delay much longer. Ford and GM are scaling back on sedans, and focusing more on CUV’s...will they have new product out before FCA gets out of their own way? I’m not poo-pooing their plans in any way, and this isn’t meant to be a Debbie Downer post. Time will tell what the end result of all of this is, for good, bad, or indifferent.

7. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

The Ford and GM examples are interesting comparisons. So in Ford they discontinue Fiesta, Fusion, and Taurus, but they've already got CUV's to cover those gaps like Escape, Edge, and Explorer (and Flex? Is Flex still a thing?). All they really need is a small CUV and they're good. If Chevy discontinues Cruze, Malibu, and Impala they've already got stuff like Traxx, Equinox, and Traverse - so again they're covered. Dodge/Chrysler discontinued Dart, Avenger, and 200 they have covered those gaps with... Jeep? There's the difference. GM and Ford already have had those existing CUV products in place for a while now. They can exit the sedan market and they're already players in almost all segments of the CUV market. Dodge mostly and Chrysler in particular has yet to enter those segments.

So again, does FCA have the intestinal fortitude to stick it out while Chrysler brand has to push its way into those markets? It's going to require massive investment - and I'm not just talking about products. Marketing, eating years of losses, etc. If there were strong talk out of FCA about these things I'd be on board but mostly it's, "Yeah yeah, don't you worry about Chrysler, let us worry about Chrysler". I mean, I want to believe it's all good but I guess we will see.

wvutuba, hemi_magnum, GasAxe and 4 others like this.
  8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yes, indeed. The next few years will be telling one way or another. We’re entering put up, or shut up time and we’ll get to see if they have what it takes for a multifaceted approach for moving forward from an all-out pursuit of net-debt-zero to putting forth new product. Will the roll outs be smooth? Will there be an effective marketing strategy for all the rumored new product? How will they adapt to bumps in that road that they’ve laid out for themselves? And a whole host of other questions. I must admit I’m skeptical, but hopeful.

We shall see, but one thing is for certain, these will be interesting times.

GasAxe likes this.
  9. svevar

svevar Well-Known Member

Ford already has a subcompact CUV: EcoSport. And yes, Flex lives for the time being. Plus a new Bronco is on the way, though that seems more SUV than CUV.

And there's also the new Blazer on the way.

10. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

FCA may be starting at "0% market share" for CUVs, but that doesn't mean they are starting from anonymity. The CUV popularity is due to the fact it is a class with a high level of utility and is often thought of as a non-soccer mom alternative to the minivan, the ultimate vehicle for utility and people moving. At that, Chrysler excels with the Pacifica. Reading some posts on here, you would think nobody knows about the Pacifica, and Chrysler is an unknown. However, anecdotally, many people at work are talking about the Pacifica, and these are people who own Honda Odysseys, Siennas, RAV 4s, and more. There is a lot of interest in the Pacifica because it is different and because many of these people have friends who bought Pacificas and love them; and in turn have really impressed non Chrysler fans. Some who know I like FCA products, have asked me if Chrysler is planning any CUVs/SUVs. I NEVER heard such positive talk about any Chrysler or Dodge prior to FCA and many people ridiculed my purchase of my PT Cruiser back in 2006. Now that I have over 414,000 miles on it; some aren't as quick to ridicule.

Don't be so quick to write off Chrysler. There seem to be some really strong benefits being created by the Pacifica.

11. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Pacifica is doing great. I've seen a lot of people taking a serious look at them who would otherwise not consider a minivan. Chrysler's CUVs should try to do the same for some of the car buyers who would otherwise not consider a crossover.

I don't know much about the Grand Commander, but I hope the Chrysler version packs a few more innovative features than the Jeep does. Stow 'n Go would be nice, for example.

#91 Ryan, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    djsamuel likes this.
  12. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

@Adventurer55, All official advertising has the Chrysler name in place when referring to the Pacifica.

Mike

#92 Mike V., Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    MoparJoe likes this.
  13. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

And Mike, after a visit to YouTube, that is why I asked for my post to be removed. I should've visited it before I posted. The very commercial I saw the other night with the woman falling all over it was what got me to post that, but they did call it a Chrysler Pacifica at the end.

14. MoparJoe

MoparJoe Well-Known Member

How about we all take a step forward and don't look back and move on .....
    Mike drop ....

15. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Take a step back...take a step forward...take a step back...are we all now doing the cha cha? :p

16. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

I posted before you asked to have your post removed.

Thanks,

Mike

Adventurer55 likes this.
  17. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

More like the Hokey-Pokey, I suppose.

tlc, Zagnut27 and GasAxe like this.