AF: Intro Muscle | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intro Muscle

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by ShawnP, Mar 1, 2020.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Consider that uou can get a brand new 2019 Chrysler 300 Touring starting at $26,715 (MSRP + destination - cash in my area) before you do any other dealing. Thiswould be the same as spending $3800 in 1969.
    From a little research online, a 1969 Chrysler Newport had a base sticker price of $3500.
    So the lowest trim full size Chrysler in 1969 cost a little less than the inflation adjusted new Chrysler. And the 1969 Newport would have had a V8, with a manual transmission and no air conditioning or radio at base price. So once inflation is considered, the prices are not that much worse today than 50 years ago.

2. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Just be aware that the Corolla comes standard with a lot of the safety features that you're opposed to.

3. 55Plaza

55Plaza Well-Known Member

And the 1969 Newport 383-4V got 25 mpg ;)

4. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

a Dodge Dart SRT would cost the same as a RT Charger... the only way to introduce Muscle to the young buyer is on the used lots...

sickboy likes this.
  5. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

I haven't looked into what silly features come stock but since we're comparing base models of completely dissimilar cars I'm going to say at least they manage to include those features for about half the cost and can still manage to offer a manual trans at very little cost.

(edited to remove portion of post discussing moderation)

#25 Milkman123, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2020
  6. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Wasn’t even trying to make a jab, I just thought you should know about the Corolla’s standard equipment since you’ve indicated before that you don’t like some of the newer safety features.

7. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

Only if I'm forced into a bunch of them when I want an unrelated non-safety item. If they're throwing them all in under $20,000 AND I can be confident it won't cost a lot in unexpected maintenance I might accept some silly tech.

To stay almost on topic, OP is correct. Chrysler has no entry level or budget minded performance options at all. It's keeping new buyera away, plain and simple.

jclick likes this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 includes: Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist and Road Edge Detection, Automatic High Beams, Lane Tracing Assist, and Road Sign Assist.

page2171 and jclick like this.
  9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Last time I looked, cheapest Corolla with all that stuff was $18,500, and none of that stuff seems to break down easily (though it makes the cost of a fender-bender a lot higher).

10. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Haven't some insurance companies started to lower rates a bit for vehicles that are equipped with active safety features from the factory? Not that it would make the cost of repair any cheaper...

page2171 and Dave Z like this.
  11. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

I find it funny that you choose to keep poking at me, considering you're staff here you should be leading by example not further engaging in off topic banter. I don't know if the "Sense 2.0" you referenced is an addon option or included in base model, nor do I care. Either way they're doing it way less expensive than FCA while keeping the variability of the cars higher. A Corolla is one car where they really don't need to make a manual trans available, but they do it. FCA won't do it on most of their vehicles, let alone the classic redos. It's completely frustrating for anyone who wants a v8 and nothing else. Why would somebody like me, who's interested in a driving experience, buy a car that costs over $40,000 and doesn't offer a pleasurable driver's experience? When you can go buy a guaranteed reliable manual trans car that would be 10x as fun to drive with the same amount of doors and seats for $20,000 brand new?

Was there a specific reason you avoided the actual on topic statement I made earlier?

12. aldo90731

Let's see:

Ram started as a Dodge - Strike 1
    Dart was aimed at young buyers - Strike 2

13. valiant67

valiant67 ...

IMPORTANT NOTE:
    If you feel someone is "poking at you" use the REPORT button rather than airing grievances in a post.
    In general, any post that attacks another poster (any other poster) is subject to post removal.

page2171, Zagnut27, tlc and 1 other person like this.
  14. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

I'm not poking at you at all... you posted:
    I was responding to that with my above post to name the features that confirm that they were throwing in a bunch of standard features at a sub-$20k price point. No argument intended, just agreeing that the Corolla is a good value.

As for your on-topic statement:
    I think they're doing a decent job of marketing the V6 Charger as a performance vehicle, especially in GT trim. I do think they could do a bit better as Chevy has done with the V6 (and 4-cylinder) Camaro by adding track-focused equipment to give better handling. They even have an active exhaust system for the V6 Camaro that sounds pretty decent.

I also think Dodge needs a lower-cost, entry level performance car. I'm not sure what that should be: a FWD-based hot hatch or a compact RWD sedan based on the Giulia. I guess both have their pros and cons. Actually, their compact RWD crossover might be the best option to add mass appeal, but I can't imagine it coming in at less than $30k.

15. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Maybe that will be the goal of the next Chally if they put it under the Alfa chassis?
    I think right now a lot of younger, single buyers think its too big

16. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

If the current Challenger hangs around for a couple years after the new model is introduced, I imagine it will become quite a good value.

17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Clarification: every Corolla comes with the “sense” safety package, starting at $18,500 before rebates. The only manual is a special model which runs over $20,000. New Corolla's a lot better than the old one other than the weak engines.

I think when the new L-cars come, they will have forward collision warning and blind spot assist standard; it's the trend.

page2171, valiant67 and Ryan like this.
  18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It's also part of the agreement FCA entered into, to voluntarily equip new cars with AEB (automated emergency braking) by September 2022 (obviously closely related to forward collision warning).
    I suspect the companies entered this agreement with the NHTSA because they saw it becoming a requirement if they didn't do so voluntarily. NHTSA thought the voluntary agreement would get AEB equipped cars on the street faster than regulations would.

However, FCA is lagging most other manufacturers at about only 10% of their vehicles being equipped with this in 2019.

page2171 and Ryan like this.
  19. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

I would not be surprised to see at least those features, if not more, standardized on most new or refreshed models from now on. The refreshed Pacifica may set a precedent for standard features which the refreshed Durango, new Grand Cherokees, and Wagoneers will follow.

20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

It's become the price of entry, too, for a brand new car. Helps with IIHS ratings. Again, Corolla has it as standard on the $18,500 model, so not having it on a $30,000 car starts looking cheep. I had forgotten or didn't know about the AEB deal, but by then they should be done with the legacy models anyway — except Ram “DS”!