AF: iPhones are stupid | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhones are stupid

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by voiceofstl, Feb 13, 2020 at 11:53 PM.

1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

My old flip phone and the android smart phones..will have a little flashing light that tell you the you missed a text or call.
    The I phone does not do this,, How can apple miss a important function like this?
    I'M SICK OF IT!!

2. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Why an annoying flashing light?
    My iphone will notify me of missed calls or new messages in a window as soon as I touch the screen. Once it is unlocked a red dot will show on the message or phone icon. All I need.

Ryan and DC-93 like this.
  3. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Interesting. I have an Android smart phone (Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro) and it has no indicator for missed calls.
    I had an LG flip phone (LG441) before that; two Motorola phones before that. None of them had indicators such as you describe. The LG had text showing on the display saying "1 Missed Call", but that was it. And if I didn't acknowledge it, that message went away upon power-down.

4. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

Maybe it's in your settings. My LG flashes a green light for a new text and for a missed call.

5. voiceofstl

So you come back into the room where you left your phone...hours may go by until you touch your phone and open it.....OH NO I missed a important message.
    If you came back in the room and saw the little flashing light you would check your phone.

6. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Well, you could do what 99% of the obsessive cell phone users do - check frequently, wear them into bathroom stalls, make outgoing calls from there...my observation is that most cell phone owners are glued to their phones and cling to them like oxygen.

7. voiceofstl

My point is the flashing light should be standard.
    Do you agree or disagree?

8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I’ve had both. It’s been several years since I had one with the blinking light. I don’t miss it.

If the blinking light is that important, make sure you buy a phone with one.

Ryan and Bob Lincoln like this.
  9. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Even if your phone doesn't have a blinking light there should be an indicator that signifies a call was missed. Not a big deal if you ask me.

10. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yeah, heaven forbid if they are without their phone for more than 5 minutes. Half the time I forget where mine is at. My children (all grown) get mad at me when I don't answer and they have to call again. My life doesn't revolve around my phone.

voiceofstl likes this.
  11. voiceofstl

the light should be standard!
    I'M SICK OF IT

12. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

:D

So, buy one with it. Seems kind of ridiculous to me to get that worked up over something so trivial. Then again, I barely use my phone at all. I've accumulated over 5,000 minutes in the last few years that I'll never use in my lifetime. It's a rare appliance, kind of like hazard flashers to me. I might need it if I break down, but seldom more than that.

Tony K likes this.
  13. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

14. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Maybe for you, I personally don't want or need it, so if a few whiners want it as standard, that means the rest of us are stuck with it. I am also thinking "how much battery life would be used to flash this light?" Have you looked in the App store to see if there is something to signal a missed call?

Tony K likes this.
  15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

When you turn on your iPhone, there is a red "number of missed calls" showing over the phone app and the same over the messages app.

No physical light needed... would eat batteries.

Bob Lincoln and Doug D like this.
  16. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

I know it's easy to get disgruntled when the new, expensive thing doesn't work exactly like the old, cheap thing, but iPhones are not stupid. They can be quite complicated, however. Maybe you just need to look at your settings. Why Don’t I Get Missed Call Notifications on My iPhone? (at https://www.solveyourtech.com/dont-get-missed-call-notifications-iphone/ )

When I pick up my phone, an Android, IF I set it in "Do Not Disturb" mode, it displays nothing unless I unlock it and look for the dots on the phone app that indicate missed calls. Same for texts. If it's not in DND mode, it displays "Missed Calls" if I wake up the lock screen. If I configure it to do so, it will tell me who the call was from. I chose not to have that displayed on the Lock Screen. There is no flashing light, nor do I see the need for one. My old Samsung has one, but it's been relegated to household duties, and no longer gets calls. If I've been away from the phone for whatever reason, I'm going to check it for phone calls and messages regardless.

Ryan likes this.
  17. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Obviously, some people should stick to an old, black, wall phone...…
    Stay home all the time, waiting for it to ring!! :D

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  18. DrMark

DrMark Well-Known Member

Black? Our wall phone was a beautiful shade called Harvest Gold. The tabletop phone was a beautiful shade called Avacado Green.
    :D

19. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

That sounds so late 70s. :D

06PTElectricBlue and DrMark like this.