Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to find this connector?

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by neon98rt, Aug 9, 2017.

1. neon98rt

neon98rt Well-Known Member

This is where the fuel rail harness plugs into the main harness. I want to put new ends on vs using the wires. I cant find anything like it. The connector slides into the plastic then a small tab locks it down, then a blue spacer goes in to keep the tabs from moving.
    Just wondering if the small box connectors have a name or if i can buy the end somewhere. IMAG0287.jpg

2. B10alia

B10alia Well-Known Member

I imagine that connector is proprietary, but a locking spade terminal would probably do the job and might even fit in that housing.

Why can't the old terminals be used? If the wires are broken, you could cut the wire back a little, strip it, and then solder the terminal to the wire. A piece of heat shrink around the whole thing should insulate it and give it some mechanical reinforcement.

3. neon98rt

So your saying put 99.9% new wire on it and just solder the end the wire. The crimp is so tight i would never get it apart . I could just lay the new wire over the old.

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

You could remove the crimp from the connector housing, find a new crimp terminal, cut the old one off if you have enough length, and crimp a new one on.

Is there a reason you need to rebuild this?

5. RalphP

Level 2 Supporter

6. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

That faston is not insulated. It may not fit into the housing shown, which is polarized. He also needs to select one for the correct wire gauge.
    And it's still not clear why any work is needed.

7. RalphP

Level 2 Supporter

Yep, the one he showed wasn't insulated either; hence my first shot at that one.

Yes, he'll need to make sure it's the right size, hence the listing of ALL the .250" FastOn type connectors, with and without the shroud.

I've had a few older ones that Just Do Not Grab Anymore due to age; he may also be building a complete new harness, and wanting to use new connectors.

Or maybe not; those are just good possibilities.

RwP

8. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

From the photo it looked like there was a tan-colored housing; but it's out of focus, so I could be mistaken.

9. neon98rt

the wires are all stripped and exposed. That cant be good. I assume its game over if they touch. The picture is exactly the way it was in the car.

10. neon98rt

11. neon98rt

12. RalphP

Level 2 Supporter

Close, but maybe not 100%.

Hence my search terms on DigiKey included *grins* Go wild; if it's still made, I bet DigiKey either has it in stock, or can get a roll of 10,000 or so of them ...

RwP

13. RalphP

Level 2 Supporter

Shucks, that's just old tin tarnished with age; it's a box style FastOn(tm) style connector; the box increases contact pressure to improve the current carrying capability.

It also makes it harder for the plugs to pull apart accidently.

RwP

14. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

This is the 1990 AJ? The Mopar passenger car parts catalog shows images and part #'s for terminals and insulators. Many of these part #'s are gone, but some have Google hits and the # can be used to identify what you are looking for when dealing with NOS vendors, obsolete parts houses, etc.
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Chrysler_Service_Parts_Catalog/CD2/82-96PassCar/90p.PDF
    See figure 8-8700 for the terminal chart.
    My favorite was terminals like # 19 (3588819). The spring-loaded brass tongue ensured a firm mechanical/electrical connection to the male spade contact surface. It was used in high-current applications like blower motors and rear defoggers, etc. This part # was used from the 1970's-up.
    I haven't used this website in years, but they have helped while local dealers couldn't:
    Mopar Connection Repair Kit (at http://connectors.dcctools.com/home.htm )
    I can't get to this actual website, but try Googling: dto.vftis.
    You might also find salvageable pigtails in a junk yard that can be spliced in.

15. RalphP

Level 2 Supporter

ImperialCrown - Thanks for those two links! I'm going to bookmark them so I can find them later.

RwP

16. neon98rt

i have take apart 3 lebarons and they all have the same destroyed plug above the rear manifold. I would assume the only reason this doesnt leave a car dead in its tracks is because they are far enough apart. Now if someone moved the wires... then there would be a problem

17. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

I have found a number of replacement terminals, but not all of them. I may have the chassis side in a minivan harness from a 1989 3.0L I scrapped a long time ago, but it could be the engine section, it has the distributor plug and a 4 pin square with one pin being the power lead (also goes to the alternator). If this will help it is in near perfect condition, I was getting ready to disassemble it for parts. There are two different style female connectors, one is the brass with a retaining tab, the other is a box style that grips both sides of the male tab evenly.

18. neon98rt

i bought a 90 lebaron hard top. I took every wire out of it. Cleaned them in our ultrasonic machine at work and tested with an ohm meter. Someday i will put them in my car. It has yet to do the " 12v no charge "since i cleaned what wires i could get at .
    I feel horrible for sending this lebaron hard top to the junkyard. It has perfect seats. I may keep the rear axle since its rear disk and i have never seen another besides mine.

19. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Here is the harness I have, the injector harness connector sounds like what this one has. DSCN2291.jpg DSCN2294.jpg

20. neon98rt

what car or year is that for. My car has the distributor wire as part of the AC stuff.
    Also the o2 sensor is missing.