Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it safe to drive my Grand Caravan when the Tie Rod looks like this

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by TaxiGirl, Nov 26, 2017.

1. TaxiGirl

Level 2 Supporter

I got down there tonight to tightened up the sway bar links and I noticed that the inner tie rod on the drivers side seemed to be outside the rack and pinion.
    I knew the boot on it was messed up and I had already ordered another inner tie rod but, I have never had a chance to get it replaced yet. New boots do not come with the inner tie rods and I have not been able to find a part number for just the boots themselves. So, tonight I am thinking that I could just clean it up and stick some white grease on it and cover it with what is left of the boot that I have. I am just not sure that it is safe to drive it like this. I have some customers to take the airport from quite a distance away 3 times this week and I am waiting on that hose for the antifreeze leak to come and I was going to take my caravan to get the inner tie rod and the antifreeze leak fixed at the same time. IS IT SAFE TO DRIVE? INNER TIE ROD 1.jpg

INNER TIE ROD 2.jpg

2. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

Long term operation in that condition will allow dirt and debris to get in the rack. That can't be good for life expectancy. It should be ok to drive short term. If the boot isn't torn you can re install it with a gear clamp.

3. TaxiGirl

Level 2 Supporter

Thanks for the reply, i put the boot back on there what was left of it and put some grease inside where it looks like the ball joint part of it had come out. I do not recall that part being outside of the rack and pinion though normally?

4. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I agree with bguy that it will be okay for a little while. I suspect that maybe you didn't notice it before because as clean as it is, I think that the boot just came loose and dropped down. It hasn't been exposed for too long.