AF: Is she worth it? | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is she worth it?

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by ClayBelt40's, Oct 16, 2016.

1. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

It should show mileage on the title Where I live it has A,B,C on it . A being actual, B over the allowed mech limits and C unknown. What does the title say on it for mileage ? I just sold a 87 Dodge 600 with 88K on it and the title showed 67K so I knew it was right.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Right about what? That sentence by itself makes no sense. Did the title have "B" or "C" on it?

3. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

If I have to explain it to you . Car had 67 on title when I got it, it had 88 on it. Gee I guess that would be a A mileage. Please read what I said.

4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

If the only tile changes were 1975, 1992 and 2006 as stated earlier, there is no way the title changes will corroborate the mileage. And add to that that many times, no matter what the mileage, the title is often marked exempt from mileage reporting due to the age of the car in many states so there is no indication if it's original or rolled over. Ideally you would want service records throughout the life of the car to track mileage over the years. I had a stack of paperwork for my 32k mile Dodge Mirada proving it never exceeded the limits of the odometer.

Doug D likes this.
  5. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Where I live the title is marked A,B or C unless their was a discrepancy along the way. Odds are it has over 100K on it.

6. ClayBelt40's

ClayBelt40's Member

I agree, as it was exempt from the mileage checks.

7. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

I've seen folks ask $2,500. for a car like that up here in MI, and get close to that...
    Somebody better jump on that car.

8. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Some states have had emissions testing for decades. They always took down the mileage reading and put it in a computer somewhere. Dealerships might have also. All titles that I've seen have a line for mileage. However, some states do not issue a title if a vehicle is a certain number of years old.

Rust never sleeps.

9. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

And where I live I can buy them for a better price and no rust.

10. ClayBelt40's

ClayBelt40's Member

Might try a compromise and go for $450 in a month or two.

11. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

It depends how bad he wants to sell it and how bad you want to buy it.

12. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Carfax can have errors, but often if you see total continuity of the mileage, it can be trusted.
    The inspection place I used messed up my Carfax record at least twice. I have the 5-digit odometer and they reported it as 129K miles, next time 32K miles instead of 132K. Next time I told them not to make the same mistake, and they reported it as about 85K miles (mistaking the 3 for an 8), or some such sequence. So now I'm flagged twice on that car for potential odometer tampering.

13. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Good for you! You can start a lucrative business buying them up and moving them up to the rust belt.
    Keep one for yourself ! :)

valiant67 likes this.
  14. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I have done that in the past and the people I sold the cars to where very happy.

15. ClayBelt40's

ClayBelt40's Member

Flipped my mind around to it again, but am stuck on the biggest problem: what torsion bar do I need for the Valiant/Dart that this is? Who makes/stocks them?

16. valiant67

valiant67 ...

First step is to find out what had really failed.
    Have the torsion bars broken? Or is the problem where they mount (the mounts were susceptible to rust)?
    A broken torsion bar is the only reason you'd need to replace them on an otherwise stock car.
    If you need torsion bars, used and new are out there:
    Classic Industries | Restoration Parts | Mopar Parts | Camaro Parts | Firebird Parts | Nova Parts | Impala Parts | GM Truck Parts | Tri-Five Chevy Parts
    If the torsion bar mounts are bad:
    Torsion Mount .. A-Body Mopar, Set (ART-001-S) - autorust.com

17. ClayBelt40's

ClayBelt40's Member

I was told the bar was broken, current owner suggested welding it together with a ring in the middle of the break. I would prefer not to.

18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Yes, replace. Don't weld. Really should be no problem finding used torsion bars from a Mopar junkyard. The factory used several variations of "firmness' on the torsion bars. You'll probably only find the V8 spec ones available new. That would improve handling some, or find a set of used slant 6 bars for a slightly better ride.

19. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I have never had a torsion bar break on me after owning quite a few of these. I would look into it and make sure that rust is not the problem, but maybe after the high miles this could happen.

20. ClayBelt40's

ClayBelt40's Member

From the looks of things when I saw it, other than the paint job, it was all original, no replaced parts. Probably is just a matter of age and product control.