Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Dart a Rattletrap By Nature? Solutions?

Discussion in 'Dodge Dart / Viaggio' started by iNeon, May 23, 2016.

1. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Yes, compared with the Dart, the neon(98 sport coupe) was a better runner, a slicker shifter and a smoother, quieter ride with better upholstering, better harmonics, better seat padding and better space utilization. It had better clutch feel, better power delivery-- better economy with simpler technology and it used normal maintenance parts, not proprietary $20 spark plugs and, like- diesel grade, but gasoline spec oil made by a single company.

I did own both cars and chose the Dart because it had so much neon feel to it.

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Assuming the tires are KUMHO SOLUS KH25 (according to tirerack.com) they scored pretty miserably.

3. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

I have the KH18's on my Charger and I like 'em. They are holding up well. The Firestones on my new Patriot are horrible for road noise however. The Yokohama's on my 2011 DGC were garbage.

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The Neon, quieter? Not by any objective standard eve applied. The rest, yes. I agree with you.

And if you chose the Dart because you liked the Neon feel, you really can’t be whining about how it doesn’t compare to your Mercedes... the cheapest US Mercedes, by the way, starts at over $32,000. Not exactly in the Dart’s price class.

#24 Dave Z, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  5. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

I'd like you to change your tone. I wasn't directly comparing the two vehicles, except to put my own noise/vibration standards into question. It wasn't intended bring out your inner ugly.

Dart, in instrumented testing, was said to be quieter than the current C-class. That isn't what is being experienced in my relatively young example. I have come to this community seeking assistance in remedies and advisement in the regularity of the (however minor in your estimation) issues. That has happened. I'll see myself out and will try not to avail myself of the community again.

6. JA Cumbo

JA Cumbo Enjoying the ride.
    Supporter

I have nearly 10K miles on mine and I have not noticed any weird rattles or noises in the car. In the colder months there were some rattles in the dash around the radio. I assume that it was just a cold car. my car has Yokohama Avids and they don't seem to be any worse for noise than the Goodyears that were on my 200 and 300M.

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Have you considered looking at your own tone first?

You mean, I believe, “FOUND to be.” That should tell you something. It may be that the noise that comes through is something you are particularly sensitive to. I am not saying that you are the problem; I’m more sensitive to some noises than others. I don’t care about the “awful” gear or tire noise in the 300, for example, but the clicking from the dash drives me crazy, especially since it immediately stops on presentation to the dealer.

Absolute noise and perceived noise are different things, but there is no way on this Earth that a Neon is quieter, objectively, than a Dart. Speaking as a past Neon owner - I loved the thing but “quiet” is not an adjective I’d apply except in comparison to the prior generation.

I suspect that the Fiat engine does not sound as “right” as the Neon 2.0, and that the interior is not holding up. The Dart 1.4s have known issues around squeaks, buzzes, and rattles over time, that the other Darts don’t seem to get. Resonance with the engine? I don’t know.

I do not mean to dismiss down your problems. There is a thread elsewhere where ImperialCrown talks about noise reduction (or is this it? I lose track). That is all good information. Sadly, you may have to simply take apart the dashboard and insulate the crap out of it - that is, use foam and such to make sure nothing can move, replacing ALL the fasteners as well. At that, it may make cracking noises at times.

Yes, this is frustrating, but watch your claims. If the Dart is quieter than a Mercedes in instrumented testing, it's quieter than a Mercedes. Doesn't mean you like the type of noise it still passes through.

What an achievement, really... the 300, too, when it's being good (mostly, being tested by the dealer) it’s as good as any Lexus car I've driven (e.g. ES and LS, I only vaguely recall the IS now).

8. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Please do take notice that I never mentioned the neon being quieter-- the whole statement was that neon was better at everything *except* quiet! And you're correct-- it is seeming more and more like the issue I'm attempting to remedy is resonances/vibrations that others can't hear/feel, and bad OE tires. It really does feel like I'm lugging the engine and am about to stall, or am driving in gravel as I decelerate(brakes, I'm thinking, would be much more pronounced if they were the issue) below about 20mph. As I got acquainted with the vehicle, it became more obvious-- I couldn't have noticed on a test drive.

I'm super super sensitive to those things like you are-- and I know I will never own a perfect vehicle because of the sensitivities. The creaks in the Mercedes cars bother me as well. Those cars don't rattle like a less expensive car, but they do groan and creak and the suspensions(ball joints or the like) make all the same 'crappy car' noises the neon and PT did-- you just can't hear them because of the sound deadening treatments.

Adding some of that sound deadening material is where I'm going to go with this, because the warranty is going to be pretty much pointless in remedying any of these 'problems'. I'll do the firewall, hood and front floor with DynaMat as well as I can and get to the doors as I replace the factory stereo speakers to help isolate those sources as well. I'm loathe to replace tires on a 15,000 mile car, though.

9. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

Still seems strange to me, here I am with a Dart Limited with almost 70K miles and I rarely hear rattles- usually the plastic around the dash may creak if its real cold but that's about it. The car does ride harsh at times and when you hit a bump it is a loud thud, but overall it is pretty quiet. Sorry for your issues. If you want a quiet car and it is a little zippier then the Dart, Id suggest a Cruze actually - if they finally solved the coolant smell issue (which is why I have a Dart now).

PCRMike likes this.
  10. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

It isn't really an issue! I just care a little too much about intangible things :p

11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

DynaMat does seem like the right way to go. The tires... find a buyer for them an replace them. I've replaced tires on two new cars and one slightly used car, so far.

12. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Now you bring up the invisible elephant in the room! Dart is going to be useless to carry any real cargo, so that scenario can't work. I'm going to have to leave the tires at the shop because they're not all 4 fitting in the car-- and even if they would, one would have to go in the passenger's seat.

I'm hyperventilating thinking about the ruined interior already.

13. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, I notice that the Aero is the model you mentioned. When I tested an Aero, I noticed it was noise than the SXT and Limited (which I bought ). Perhaps it is a model specific issue? My Limited has a 2.0, and the engine is smooth and quiet. the 1.4 in the Aero was rather raucous on the test drive. Weight savings by sparing sound insulation? Mine still slaps on bumps, but so did the more expensive Buick Regal Turbo I rented.

14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

First, there is such a thing as cardboard (to put over your seats).

Second, you can have the buyer meet you at the shop...

15. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

16. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

I may look into some Limited take-offs at some point down the road-- The ones I found for the PT were $200 and came with good tires/sensors. It was a good buy!

17. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

If you haven't already, you might want to look into tire brands and models with numerous customer ratings ( for a better chance to see something said about any given tire as it works on your own brand and model car - only having a few such reviews is nearly useless )

I tried an Internet Search for Quietest Tires and Quietest Tire Brands and found a few interesting results. I used the Dodge Dart Aero as the guide when I did find a Tire outlet - here's but one example { it would pay to do a few searches with other different descriptive search terms as a way to balance the results } :

What are the Quietest Tires? - Turk | Tire Rack

Hope this is at least somewhat helpful -

Rattles and squeaks drive me round the bend.

Not an expert, but I'd think that a softer tire compound would be more forgiving, and generate fewer harsh instances of rumble, thuds and pops which might magnify the volume inside the cabin.

#37 JavelinAMX, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  18. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

I've decided to just ride it out with the factory tires unless/until a super deal on some take-offs with better branded tires(my family like Michelin and Pirelli, but I'm not sure they're OE on any Dart) because it really isn't *that* bad. The car got 47.8mpg on a road trip last weekend!

47.8mpg!

Forty. Seven. point. Eight.

That makes my heart smile.

somber, valiant67 and PCRMike like this.
  19. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Super impressive !

Both Pirelli and Michelin seem to have made the top quietest Tire brands list.

20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Dang! I am looking at a Dart Aero stick and might just pull the trigger tomorrow.

Morty, tlc and Bob Lincoln like this.