Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Dart a Rattletrap By Nature? Solutions?

Discussion in 'Dodge Dart / Viaggio' started by iNeon, May 23, 2016.

1. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson New Member

The tires can make a huge difference. The original tires on my 2013 SXT (Continental) were horrible. The new tires have produced a much more quiet and smooth ride.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Even with lots of legal tread left, I have been torn between replacing noisy tires or just living with the roar until I can wear them out.
    Frequent tire rotations may help to equalize the wear patterns and make them quieter after a few thousand miles, but it won't be an immediate relief from the noise.
    If they are 15" tires, the price of new tires isn't bad. The 16", 17", + get fairly costly and I would prefer just to wear them out first.
    It doesn't seem to matter whether the noisy tires are a cheap brand or an expensive brand. Certain brands or types seem more prone to cupping than others. The number of 'cups' around the circumference of a tire will always be an odd number. That is just the nature of the oscillation or vibration that sets up to cause the cupping-type wear.
    Many shops will try to sell you springs and shocks, saying that is the reason for the cupping. I somewhat doubt that as this malady also affects new cars.
    Tires are not covered by a new vehicle warranty. They are covered by the tire manufacturer who usually will make a pro-rata adjustment for defective tires.
    I just shop for a nice, quiet touring tire. I don't need aggressive tread or hard rubber formulas. I do pay attention to the UTQG grades for my tire selection:
    http://www.ntb.com/tires/UTQG-Education.j

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I tend to use Tire Rack's ratings as a general guide.

I am going nuts trying to isolate the noise... they replaced the bluetooth radio so they had that all out and padded it; it's now tight and firm but the noise is coming in and I think it's from the dashboard cover... I am now applying foam tape everywhere to try to isolate it... it only happens when there is no tech in the driver's seat.

4. Ian

Ian Car Freak

I drove in my mom's Dart this weekend and holy dang, that car is noisy. Upon looking at the tires, they're right at the wear bar, on top of having a wheel bearing that needs to be replaced (second one in rear) There is some rattle but with the quality of those tires, might as well just ride on the rim. They're the original Continentals.

5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Some of these OEM tires are horrible when brand new, let alone once they get some odd wear characteristics.

Yet the cheapie tires I put on my 99 Dakota (as cheap as oddly sized 17" tires cab be) still roll quieter than the OEM tires they put on my 2012 Challenger and 2013 300S when new. The 2015 Durango R/T had nice quiet rolling tires, even with 20k miles on them.

They should make someone in purchasing spend some time with these tires before selecting them.

Cody's Car Conundrum, Ian and somber like this.
  6. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

It's so easy to think of a list of other things you need in a satisfying vehicle, but tire compounds which stick as they should, and roll quietly enough to NOT intrude so much that the sound system has to cover for it really is higher on the list than one would normally think.

I can't recall the tire style, or the model, but years ago I bought a set of Continental for a different minivan I owned. Immediately, conversations with passengers were challenging. A lot of : "Huh? How's that again?!?".

7. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

There was a big issue with the Continentals on the Chrysler 300 a while back. particularly the Hemi/AWD models. I was replacing all 4 junk tires on cars with less than 12,000 miles on them. It developed into a class-action:
    Tire Claim Form.pdf

I have liked tires from the smaller, underdog companies as they seem more interested in customer satisfaction than the big arrogant tire manufacturers like Goodyear.
    Firestone got a bum deal with the Explorer lawsuit and they never fully recovered from that. They had to merge with Bridgestone.
    Michelins are nice, but over-priced IMHO.

JavelinAMX, Ian and valiant67 like this.
  8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

FWIW, Goodyear does make some very good tires, but they're probably not the ones that came with the car. My guess is that Goodyear jacks up the prices of certain tires to the public — the tires that are used as OEM equipment — while giving huge discounts to the automakers. My theory resting on the idea that most buyers ask for whatever tires were on the car to be replaced with the same thing.

Looking at Tire Rack and my own experience, I think that the size of the tire and the type of car it goes on are big huge deals, which makes it unfortunate that Tire Rack's favorite test car is a BMW. The Goodyear Eagle GS-A was a terrific Neon tire, a good 300M tire, and a horribly bad PT Cruiser GT tire. The Yokohama Avid MD H-4 that was so good on the Corolla was mediocre on the 300M.

I suspect you are right though about the underdogs caring more about the customer. I have only once had to deal with Goodyear and they were insufferable. I will have to give the minors more attention with my next buy.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  9. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

I had some super cheap Douglas tires on my Neon that lasted a long time and never gave me any trouble-- the Driver's front tire is going low on this one(one of the PT's tires was always low as well) more than the others, which is a bother. I hate TPMS, but at least this one gives me individual pressures for the bi-weekly air-up/vacuum(that costs $2.50)

man. I pay too much to drive around.

10. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I keep a spray bottle of soapy water around for tire leak detection. With the tire filled with air or maybe a little over-pressure, spray around the tire to wet everything.
    You will see bubbles or a white foam begin at the leak spot. Nails in the tread area, rim leaks at the bead and around the tire valve stem are common leak points.

11. paullybob

paullybob Well-Known Member

Ya, tire pressure on the Dart door placard seem way too high for me. 38 front and 34 rear......Who thought THAT would make a car ride better??? Anyway, I filled to 35psi all round and the car rides much better with fewer rattles on the highway. And as always, FCA/Chrysler/Daimler seem to put and extremely hard bushing material in their suspension mounts. In the winters up here (-45 on some days) you'd think that you didn't have any bushings at all.

12. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Might they spec such a high fill because they know the sensors/bead leak?

13. paullybob

paullybob Well-Known Member

Oh Gosh, I hope not...that'd be just crazy!!!

14. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I'm positive that they didn't set the tire inflation spec high in anticipation of air leaks. That would just be silly.
    They try to set pressures for a combination of maximum safety, fuel economy, handling and tire temperature/life while not over-compromising ride quality.
    European ride quality is different than American ride quality. The Dart is decidedly Euro. Some people like it and some don't.

valiant67 likes this.
  15. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Odd but that a model exclusive to North America would be tuned for customers somewhere else.

16. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

That's a sign of a product rushed to market - and far from the only example from FCA.
    That same problem cost Ford a lot of grief with the early Focus models. But giving credit to Ford, they stuck with the Focus and improved it.
    Dart faces a very different future it seems.

17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I'll try dropping the pressure a little. You think 38 is bad, try the Aero specs!

I have a loose piece of trim outside the driver's door which may explain the very very loud rattle that comes and goes. Just haven't gotten to it yet. The rest of the car is pretty tight. 2013 model, 33,000 miles. Aero - steel wheels, I think, and harsh tires. Still handles well.

18. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

So you bought a Dart, Dave? Did you get rid of the Fiat 500?

19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Never got a Fiat 500. It was one or the other. Or something else.

20. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

OK, I thought you had one when I last stopped by at your house. Maybe it was a test car.