Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Dart a Rattletrap By Nature? Solutions?

Discussion in 'Dodge Dart / Viaggio' started by iNeon, May 23, 2016.

1. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

I’m afraid of the 300 being that way, so I’m giving more thought to jumping-ship for a leased premium-branded car.

Lease it 3 years, buy it out after— A Lexus or Mercedes-Benz or something quiet and effortless like that. The Dart requires too much aggression and I’m just not into its bad attitude.

A lease (on anything- a 300, perhaps) would give me time to assess the rattle situation before I was into the car too deeply.

I want the 300 so badly. It’s what I consider my ‘terminal’ vehicle. The one you just keep until you die— or if you live long enough.. buy another.

But I’m 37, and no car can last that long. Yours and others’ stories of rattly 300s don’t build confidence or interest in the product for me since I’ll be buying the next car just because I’m tired of driving a loud rattletrap.

Maybe poor Chrysler’s just run out of steps for me to take after the 3 I’ve had. A lateral move within Chrysler just isn’t going to cut it with quality this low.

Is the Grand Cherokee built better than a 300?

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

A 300 is not the best choice to lease. That is because it is hit hard by depreciation, so unless heavily subsidized the lease won't be a good price.
    They are a great value off lease because of this fact.
    My experience is a Grand Cherokee with 20-30k miles seems more solid than a 300 or Challenger with similar miles (my experiences are pre-2015 though) as far as lack of suspension noises and rattles (rattles more so with 300 than Challenger).

somber likes this.
  3. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

I’m a preppy, driver’s cap and Clark’s type of balding almost-40. Challenger is so out for my style and intended use— though a 300 coupe would be ideal.

Think: traditional style in a modern cut and color. Effortless and unquestionably high-quality.

I want a thinking man’s car from an American company, but they’re all such loud, swoopy and ‘brash’ designs that I can’t take any of them seriously.

A sober car with enough tradition to be cosseting and comfortable in that familiar way, but modern enough that it isn’t 2005’s car with some gingerbread hung from the front porch.

Maybe I’ll have to try a Cadillac.

4. valiant67

Level III Supporter

I too would have loved a 300 coupe. I found the 2015 Challenger V6 when loaded up with equipment very nice, but would have preferred Chrysler styling. I sold that Challenger to buy a house.

Then I bought a used 2012 Challenger R/T. I wanted so badly to love that car. Then with 28k miles on it, the suspension noises started and any love there was soon was lost.

5. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

I tried to get past the branding message, because it used to be that one could find a suitable car in any product line, sometimes by chance. The Dodge = sporty branding has been taken more seriously of late, and their cars have become unsuitable in style and character.

I’m not a loud and proud american. I’m a quiet confident one.

I do think the Dart was the best FCA vehicle for someone like me at the time. A little dorky, a little techy/modern. Handsome, but not overstyled- efficient and suitable to the life of a single mid-30s man. It was also available with a manual and promised a premium car experience from the same factory that built the most reliable car I’ve ever loved.

But it’s just not aging well and as I approach 40, I don’t want to blip the throttle at every red light. I tire of having to wring-it-out to a point of buzzing plastic to have any performance. I don’t like feeling the seat structure beneath my slight frame(I’m 5’8, a buck 40– any seat should be comfortable for a man my size) and I simply tire of the low quality and apologies I keep having to make for the thing.

6. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

My 2015 Charger just crossed 60K miles with no rattles yet. If you like the 300, consider picking one up just off lease as Mark suggested. Around where I live there are several 2016 300C's being offered at less than $18K.

7. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

I’m not buying another used FCA car because they’ve denied every warranty claim on the Dart I purchased with 12,000 miles.

8. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

I hear you, but I'm not sure you'll get better treatment buying new. There's something fishy about FCA dealer compensation for warranty work. It already is inconvenient to get a dealer to do a repair ("Sure, we'll take a look at your car - how about Thursday next week?"), with this reluctance to honor the warranty without a fight, I have come to the conclusion that an FCA warranty is not worth much.

Fortunately for me, my Dodge vehicles almost never need repair - the warranty hasn't been needed.

9. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

You’ve repeated what’s been said to me, near verbatim.

‘I need you to find the rattle inside the dashboard. It’s deep and I’ve done all I could do myself.’

‘Well, that rattle has something to do with your engine tune box wiring that’s zip-tied nearly to the firewall— so we went ahead and unhooked it, noted it on your carfax and here’s the bill for $200 since it wasn’t covered under warranty.’

Whereupon I left, immediately turned the car around and reproduced the sound.

‘Chrysler doesn’t pay us enough to really worry about those. You’ll have to leave it with us until a technician can get to it after he’s done with paying work. We don’t know how long that’ll take’

I’m trying to stay with the company because the neon and pt were so good— but those days are over and my time and money are more valuable now than they were when I was 17.

somber likes this.
  10. valiant67

Level III Supporter

About the only thing they missed in the list was "they all do it".

When FCA squeezes the dealers (and mechanics) on warranty work, the dealer shorts the customer by avoiding the work.

somber and tomit like this.
  11. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

It isn’t just personal feels and sounds— there’s mounting evidence that everyone else was right to dismiss the quality of the car and of FCA as a company.

Noticed the paint bubbling on the leading edge of the hood and flaking off the rockers this morning.

These aren’t opinions. The car is, objectively-speaking, junk.

12. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

13. tlc

tlc Active Member

I hope mine doesn't get that way. Bought mine in June of 2016. It is a 2016 Ralleye. No squeaks or rattle yet. Only 17,000 miles. Been great so far. Has 2.4 manual. Quiet and comfortable. Fun to drive. Very good highway mileage. 38-40.

JA Cumbo and somber like this.
  14. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

My 2013 Limited had the exact same paint bubbles on the hood. FCA paid for a brand new hood for me. It wasn't enough for me to keep it though. I was approaching 100,000 and figured something else would eventually bubble up and need painted. The Civic with the 1.5 turbo is an amazing care so far for me. I do not miss my Dart.