Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the price right? 1978 Volare Coupe

Discussion in 'F-J-M: Volare, Diplomat, etc, 1977-89' started by me-n-mac, Feb 17, 2016.

1. me-n-mac

me-n-mac New Member

I recently came across a 1978 Plymouth Volare (no other parts to the name, just straight Volare as far as I know right now) for sale. While it wouldn't typically have caught my attention and held it, the condition and price have me seriously considering this vehicle. I'm going to look at it Thursday.

It's a 2 door coupe, all original, the body and interior are in great shape according to the owner. Vehicle has been garaged. The title is clear. Price is $750 obo.

The original slant 6 motor that was in it had a rod through the block, so it was taken out & is included along with a second /6 the owner never had put in because his mechanic told him the second motor needed rebuilt and he didn't have the funds to do it. That's why he's giving up the car. We will probably sell the motors and put a bigger one in it if we buy.

The grill has a hole in it, and according to some posts here, these can be pricey. There's one included but owner don't think its the right year. He said the lights & signals all work, fuel tank seems good, lines look sound. There's little to no rust reported, one ding that's an easy fix.

He said when he purchased the car he backed it up a bit, then returned it to its place, hearing the knocking under the hood. That is all he drove it, but said the transmission ran smoothly then.

I'd really want to purchase louvers for the side windows and a rear spoiler, which sounds like may need to be off a donor car. How hard are these to find? How much money might we be talking about? Would non-plymouth accessories be ok? Are '78 Aspen parts interchangable with a '78 Volare? Will other '78 Volare models like Road Runner & Super Coupe parts fit?

I know I've posed a lot of questions for one post, the bottom line is, I don't want my investment to exceed the potential value of the finished car and I don't want to have to abandon it due to hard to find parts and accessories. However, if this is a promising project that my husband and I can enjoy without breaking the bank, we'd love to undertake it.

So, what is the opinion of the people?? PLEASE weigh in on whatever inquiries you can.

Thanks so much for your feedback. I will post again when I've looked at the car, until then, keep the info coming!

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

The only differences between Aspen and Volare are trim - grills, tail light, emblems, etc. What fits one fits the other especially by 1978.
    The grill will be costly and is 79-79 only - other years may not fit. Expect all those dress up parts to add up - they are out there, both original and some poor quality reproductions of some of the parts.
    Many parts do interchange between the years - most body parts but hoods can differ. The side window louvers and spoilers can be from other years, but 78 and up are a different style than 77 and down.

Even an otherwise solid car can have rot in the front frame rails, especially where it curves up under the front floor boards. you may not see the rust without being under the car.

me-n-mac likes this.
  3. me-n-mac

me-n-mac New Member

This is good to know. We're more into early 70's cars and have NO experience with the Volare/Aspens, so thank you!

I will see if we can't get it jacked up and have a look at them tomorrow. Thanks

4. me-n-mac

me-n-mac New Member

Whats a fair offer to make on an original pair of louvers in good shape? The ones with horizontal openings.

5. me-n-mac

me-n-mac New Member

6. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Looks pretty good from what I can tell. That will be a nice 318 car.

7. valiant67

Level III Supporter

I don't know what fair price is, but it was my experience back when I owned one of these cars (over 15 years ago) that the vertical louvers were less expensive than the horizontal louvers.

8. me-n-mac

me-n-mac New Member

Last night I found a guy who casts fiberglass louvers, flares, spoilers, etc. from molds made from original parts. They look great in the pics he's got posted. Has anyone tried fiberglass repros? What did you think? People give this fella good feedback. I'm including a link to his stuff.

I've never modified any of my classics, so I'm not sure about prices, but they seem reasonable enough? Knowing I can resort to something like this if I can't find originals by the time I need them nudges me more into favor of buying it if its as straight as owner says.

Flairs and such

#8 me-n-mac, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  9. valiant67

Level III Supporter

All I know is there used to be a company out of the south that made repops for these cars. They were not very good, he's been out of business for years but his repop parts show up on eBay from time to time.
    I''m sure like any repop part there will be those who do it right and some who make cheap crap.

10. me-n-mac

me-n-mac New Member

My husband likes the vertical ones better, maybe I would go that route if they were the preferred style. I like both but haven't seen any original verticals for sale.

11. me-n-mac

me-n-mac New Member

So I made the pilgrimage to see the wonderfully preserved Volare today. Here's the run-down.

The Illusion:
    The reality:
    Dash was cracked in multiple places, vinyl was torn on seats, carpet stained throughout, large hole on passenger side, wet & rusted out underneath because window rubber all deteriorated.
    The Illusion:
    The reality:
    The entire front left quarter panel & drivers door was dented, gouged & dinged. Rust all along bottom of car on both sides. Trunk rusted through near fender.

In addition, the windshield was cracked, and as valiant67 cautioned, the frame rails were excessively rusted exactly where he described (thanks).

Very disappointing, I don't know why people embellish things so badly, knowing that anybody can see that their description is very far from accurate.

So much work & money in fixing it that I didn't even make an offer. I do have to admire someone's photography skills though, even knowing where to look for damage, I still can't detect anything but that little benign dent in front of the door.

Poor me, I'm crestfallen.

Bob Lincoln and ImperialCrown like this.
  12. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Keep looking and you will find the right one. :)

me-n-mac and Bob Lincoln like this.
  13. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

After a while, if you get to know a car's vulnerable spots, you'll know what to look for and can tell whether the pics online are showing those places in detail.
    I had a 92 Daytona from new that rusted out in 2009. Actually, it had rusted by 2004, but I was patching it. Rocker panels were shot, I covered it all up with good metal. In 2007 the rear crossmember had to be re-fabricated. By 2009, bottom edge of doors was rotted, rockers were going again. I scavenged it for parts, and looked at a 93 Daytona for $850.
    The rockers were completely filled with bondo. Rear crossmember was scaly. I knew what I was up against, and that it could be fixed. So I bought it and had it restored sufficiently to get me this far. Now the rear crossmember is rotting, but if it's affordable I'll have that redone and keep the car. It all depends on what you want to put into it, vs other alternatives. And my cost is down to 23 cents a mile to own and operate, so this car is still cheaper than most.

Citation84 and me-n-mac like this.
  14. me-n-mac

me-n-mac New Member

15. valiant67

Level III Supporter

There are frame rail caps that could be used if that was the only rusty spot on the car (as it was with my 79 Volaré Duster and 80 Volaré Road Runner). Both those cars were solid and well worth a frame patch.
    Doesn't sound like the one you found was worth it.

#15 valiant67, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    floridaman2013 and me-n-mac like this.
  16. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

I was running an add for a complete NOS set of spoilers and flairs for an Aspen-Volare on that site. (was asking 800. for all of it)
    Then that guy gets on and talks about his being great repops, etc. His was "superior" to originals, etc. He didn't mention that if you happen to bang a curb with the front spoiler it'll crack & shatter, being fiberglass and not ABS like the factory parts.
    Long story short, I did sell my nos set to a guy that wanted it correct, not repop.

I'd avoid F bodies for the rust issues, lack of parts and general poor looks. (aside from Kit Cars or Super Coupes)
    You'd sink a lot into one and be totally upside down if you ever had to sell, IMO.

17. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

1978 Plymouth Volare.jpg
    Here is the 78 Plymouth Volare with the "Fun Runner" package and the 2bbl Slant Six we bought back then. Had a lock-up torque converter and would get 30 mpg on the highway all day long

18. valiant67

Level III Supporter

Probably the Super Six 2bbl? That was a nice improvement over the 1bbl carb. Love that color!

19. me-n-mac

me-n-mac New Member

Thanks for the input. I didn't end up with the Volare, but today my hubby bought me a 1972 Olds Cutlass S :rolleyes: It's on its way to me right now, I can't wait to see it in person. My step-dad went after it for me because it was an 8 hour drive, too long for my newborn.
    I had a '70 and a '71 back in the '90's, a Cutlass is one of my faves.
    This one is more or less a survivor. It has a 350 Rocket, 4 bbl, bucket seats, is automatic with floor shifter, air shocks, dual exaust... Black inside & out. Needs reconditioned inside but the body is straight & rust free except floor pans. It's mechanically sound, besides a transmission seal leak, but otherwise its in good repair.

:D:D:D Happy

#19 me-n-mac, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  20. me-n-mac

me-n-mac New Member