Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this the future of the Dodge Dart?

Discussion in 'Dodge Dart / Viaggio' started by Dave Z, Jul 20, 2016.

1. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I looked back at an old 2013 Dart brochure. Even there the confusion was rampant. It had Alfa Romeo DNA. Charger inspired tail lights. It was a compact car, but had midsize room.
    It pained me reading the sales brochure - hardly their best effort.

Dave Z and somber like this.
  2. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

I remember feeling nauseous with how much they were pushing the "Alfa DNA" thing. Most Americans probably didn't know what an Alfa Romeo was - how was that going to help sell the car here?

Dave Z and valiant67 like this.
  3. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson New Member

Yet another decent compact to go on into oblivion. I think FCA did themselves and injustice. They finally had a good compact and did not market it properly. Oh well, I will have mine form years to come.

4. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Active Member

While I understand there were some issues on some of the Darts, especially the early-built ones, what doesn't get pointed enough is that I'll bet the car might have sold better if the gas prices were a dollar or more higher. Think about it. The low gas prices have a lot of people in trucks and large SUVs. Were gas prices to change significantly in the future, I think we know there will be renewed interest in compacts and subcompacts. I think that was possibly the biggest factor in the sales of the Fiat 500. Higher gas prices would have gotten more people to at least to come in and consider one. I feel like people want to find issues with both cars, while other factors may have had more of an influence than is realized.

5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

True, higher gas prices may have helped Dart. But then Corolla sales aren't suffering from lower gas prices.

6. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Active Member

There is a Torred 2016 Dart at one of the area dealers which seems to have my name on it. Have looked at pictures of it online and have looked at it in the evening after the dealership closed. And, as you might guess, it is discounted from the Monroney listed MSRP. Has been a couple years since I got to test drive a Dart, so it seems like I've got to get back to drive one again. But, I'll drive a new 200 and a Charger, too, to be sure what they all are like.

7. Mike M.

Mike M. Member

I think it was the unrefined powertrain that killed it. I also think the racer boy / cheap styling played a part.

8. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

That might have led to higher sales numbers. I can see that.

One other impacting factor might also be that some people (and I've met my share) who need a commuter car actually DO give great consideration to the posted fuel economy numbers on the sticker and the adverts.

I've known people to look at a few cars and rank them by fuel mileage, giving greater consideration to the higher numbers. They'll go looking for a test drive to see if the car fits their other needs.

The 500 didn't get 'Best in Class' fuel economy numbers; and you don't commonly see them on the streets with three or four people inside. They give the subtle impression of a two-seater. Meanwhile, Kia's and Fiesta's beat it out.

I have, however, seen people driving the Dart with two or more people in it. Compared against the 500, the Dart didn't appear from the outside to have passenger limitations.

The Dart suffered from its initial roll-out because it wasn't ready for prime-time from the start - and took too long to get there. That's not all, but BOY did that roll-out have a bad impact. It finally got respectable numbers by the end of 2015; and I wish they would've surfed that wave further before pulling the plug (they might not have had to). If they needed 100K units sold to justify its existence, it appeared by end of year that it had the potential to hit that target with more time - the next year, perhaps? It appeared to be building.

I can't recall if Allpar posted sales numbers for Model by Trim to see how many Aero models sold, and how it compared to the balance of the Dart model. With the Aero being the highest fuel-economy rated trim level, that might tell us how economy performance impacted the Dart. Would be good to get those same numbers for the 500 to get an idea if that would extrapolate. My thinking is that the Fiat brand is bound by its own history and performance in the USA/Canada market.

Bob Lincoln and somber like this.
  9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

FCA does not release sales figures my model, usually. I do not believe Aero was popular. The first one I ever saw outside of a car show was the one I bought.

10. faliray

faliray Member

I agree getting rid of the Dart and the Chrysler 200 are a HUGE mistake. I prefer a sedan over an SUV, so a few years down the road when I need another car what am I supposed to do? The entry level Dart...gone. The 200...gone. I know FCR sells tons of Jeeps, but I feel getting rid of sedans is VERY short sighted.

11. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1
    Level 2 Supporter

I disagree, I think this was a wise move on FCA's part. They haven't had a competitive compact car since the Neon. On the other hand, Jeep makes very popular compact and subcompact SUVs (so does FIAT, but they don't have enough dealers). Ultimately you have to go with your strengths if you want to be a successful business. The 500x, Renegade, and upcoming Compass can all serve as entry level stand-ins for compact sedans, and that's where the market is moving anyway. It does make some sense: as cars have gotten lower to the ground for increased fuel economy, people have gone to taller cars to compensate, since some of the roads out there are on the crappy side. Then there's the whole hatchback thing.

This may sound heartless, but if you're looking for a trunk you're getting to be in the minority, if you aren't already. I predict other manufacturers will also reduce and consolidate their car lineups as demand continues to decline. Rising fuel prices won't make a difference this time, not when the majority of SUVs are CUVs with car-like fuel economy anyway. With Jeep seemingly able to print money at will, the continuing crossover craze, and RAM's relative strength in the commercial market, it just makes sense for FCA to focus on those areas where they shine, in order to improve their cash flow to do other things later.

tlc likes this.
  12. faliray

faliray Member

I may buy a Dart "in protest". In other words, how dare FCR cancel the Dart. I owned a Neon until 2015 and I LOVED that car. I say bring on the Viaggio. If people don't trust/like Italian cars rename it Dart II and have a base price of $12,000. It will sell like hotcakes.

13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I have to say I really enjoy my Dart more and more. I don't enjoy all the little things breaking all the time, but I do like the car.

My guess is that they truly lost a LOT of money on them due to the warranty costs.

14. faliray

faliray Member

What are some of the things that broke? Is this car "nickel and dimeing you to death"? I loved my Neon, but it nickel and dimed me a lot.

15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Our Neon was pretty reliable over 1x0,000 miles. Exhaust donut under warranty, head gasket under warranty. One adjustment of all windows at the window shop (four at the dealer that didn't work). Turn signal switch that I replaced. This is about nine years.

Dart: some sensor before I got it, cruise control module, bluetooth module, one speaker going bad, creaks and rattles from pretty much everywhere. (I might be forgetting something.) This is about three years.

somber likes this.
  16. faliray

faliray Member

Thanks for the info!!!!

17. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson New Member

My 2013 will be 4 years old next month. Other than the front end noise when turning slowly, it has been rock solid. No rattles, other than the lower door panel when I crank the Alpine sound system (bass). I am not sure why people have had so many problems. Take care of it and it will be fine.

tlc likes this.
  18. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

Perhaps trim level? My 2013 Limited never had any untoward noises or rattles. More insulation perhaps? I had a shifter position sensor go out, so it would not kick the camera on, but that's it in 68K. Traded it in on my 200 Limited. Three weeks after I got it for commuting to work, my company gave me a new company car. Needless to say, my daughter is making sure the 200 doesn't go stale. Lol.

19. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

My daughter's 2013 Limited has been pretty good. The three issues she's had have mostly been nuisance issues: a broken bracket on the catalytic converter caused a really weird howling vibration, a flaky bluetooth connection issue that led the dealer to finally replace the radio, and the passenger visor hinge broke. She's at about 90K miles now, and is still happy with it.

Dave Z likes this.
  20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Thanks for blaming ME. I didn't make it. Did I have these problems with the 300M? No...

Probably.

I am thinking maybe the combination of small hard steel wheels and various other Aero bits may be partly to blame. Also it's a stick. (And I am not confident in the transmission mounts.)

PCRMike and valiant67 like this.