Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this the Grand Wagoneer?

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Jtecho, Oct 12, 2017.

1. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

If it's a larger JGC, it will end up being delivered closer to a throw-back Commander than Wagoneer. Of course, I wouldn't mind a Commander, for myself, but many Jeep faithful likely want a convincingly updated representation of the original.

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  2. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Commander didn't look anything like the Grand Cherokee but it seems like the new Wagoneer will. Losing the seven slot grille would be disastrous so don't expect that to happen. I am expecting it to be like a Grand Cherokee, just a bit boxier and less sloped. The Grand Cherokee styling has done well recently, you can't blame the company for wanting to continue that success.

Ruptured Duck likes this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The Commander wasn't that great, either... rock hard seats... it wasn't supposed to sell a lot, but it also wasn't supposed to draw almost entirely from Grand Cherokee buyers, which was why it was called a failure.

DarkSky and GasAxe like this.
  4. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

We own a Commander, and have since 2012. While it's not perfect, if it would've gotten a few upgrades especially interior wise, it could've been better. The interiors might not look the best, but they are very durable and easy to clean. My thing is it's proportions. It needed to be wider to look better. Imho.

I personally think they are making a huge mistake if it simply looks like a bigger Grand Cherokee. Too many examples of that well already in my opinion.

JavelinAMX and freshforged like this.
  5. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

There was a lot of worry about the new Compass looking like a Grand Cherokee clone, I know I was pretty concerned. Jeep did an excellent job on the Compass with its familiar-but-unique style so I’d say we can feel confident with the Wagoneer not being a clone.

DarkSky likes this.
  6. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

After reading these posts about the Commander, I need to get a pair of those wild irish rose colored glasses so many are wearing.:cool::rolleyes:

AlfaCuda likes this.
  7. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

There were clearly some problems with it, but overall I don't think it was as bad of a vehicle as some people like to suggest. But like Dave said, it also wasn't a great vehicle. Just mediocre, like a lot of Chrysler products around that time.

8. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

It's becoming a great bang for the buck used 4x4. Mild lift (thanks to GC parts) and some aggressive all terrain tires and they take on a new persona. With the Hemi I almost purchased a used one just to tow and light Overlanding.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  9. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

Agree. Just look at the current styling of it's supposed direct competition. GM and Ford have the more angular look. The older Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer have all the styling ques Jeep needs to have a winner in the segment.

GasAxe, freshforged and Erik Latranyi like this.
  10. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

11. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

Yes, too many Jeep GC look like in the model lineup.

12. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Heard its going to be a mix... modern but paying homage to the original.