Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this the next-gen Renegade?

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

We have good reason to believe this rendering is a fairly close prediction of the facelifted, updated Jeep Renegade.

[​IMG]

There aren’t likely to be major changes, since the first generation was fairly well-received and sells well in Europe. That said, the Renegade’s gasoline engines are in the process of being replaced by FCA; the TigerShark 2.4 is likely on the way out, with the GME engines replacing it, while the FIRE is being replaced by the GSE engines. Whether the refreshed Renegade has powertrain updates is still a matter for speculation.

Read the whole post here.

DarkSky likes this.
  2. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Nope this is lol.

[​IMG]

More squarer vents, Good job though @DarkSky you nailed the headlights and the grille surround.

3. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I still think that's a Trackhawk.

wtxiceman likes this.
  4. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Refresh/facelift yes. For Europe GSE T3 and T4 and Euro 6d diesels and most likely GSE mild hybrid.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  5. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

[​IMG]

Reminds me of the Jeep Renegade Zi You Xia Design Concept. Zi You Xia, which means “rebel” from the 2014 Beijing Auto Show with that bronze front end.

edgecrusher likes this.
  6. Ramburger

Ramburger Active Member

Any chance the US ever gets a diesel option? I'd love to the 2.0 diesel that was in the Comanche concept.

xjgary and Devildodge like this.
  7. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

More than likely not... but never say never.

Ramburger likes this.
  8. Ramburger

Ramburger Active Member

From what I've read the 2.0 diesel gets around 55mpgs. I'd think with those kind of fuel economy numbers a diesel variant would do great. I'm a big guy, just over 6'4" and on the fairly husky side of life, and enjoyed driving my friends Renegade around town to the point I considered buying one. The only catch was my Ecodiesel Ram nets about the same fuel economy. GM just introduced the diesel version of the Equinox, so maybe there's hope, but I won't hold my breath.

9. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Keep in mind that rating is on the European test cycle which is usually very optimistic about fuel efficiency.

aldo90731 and Ramburger like this.
  10. T_690

T_690 Active Member

I don't know if they will retire 2.0 diesel. They have newer 2.2 units from the same engine family as on Cherokee. They just need to make them RDE compliant. That update will come somewhere during 2018.

11. Ramburger

Ramburger Active Member

Even with that taken into account, a 45mpg+ 4x4 Renegade would be golden if the price was right.

xjgary, ScramFan and DarkSky like this.
  12. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

Hardly the next generation Renegade if it's just a facelift/update of the current model. (The marketing department probably won't agree with me, though :p)

suzq044 likes this.
  13. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

Beat me to it. They are also going to facelift the 500X and introduce those engines.

14. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Yeah, simultaneously.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  15. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

It's time for a facelift also. The competition got tougher and the sales performance of both models has hit its peak.

16. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

With a new (bigger) engine, and improved transmission and other assorted updates, I will put this on the list of cars to drive.

The wife is due for a new vehicle, and she lovers her Kia Soul, but those aren’t AWD, which she wants, and the Kia cuv’s are a lot more than the Soul. That puts this in our market.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  17. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Please update with pricing as soon as that is available. This will be a very serious contender for garage space at our home.

18. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

In real-world use, the 1.6 litre diesel Renegade gets between 40 and 55 mpg (Imperial), which is 32 to 44 mpg for the shorter US gallons. That is the most efficient of all Renegades based on both quoted and reported mileage. The wide variation also shows you that the driver's foot is a bigger factor in achieving economical results than any engine management system.

But the 1.6 or 2.0 are very unlikely to ever go to the USA - they don't meet EPA emissions. The newer 2.2 should fit in Renegade, but I really think that Volkswagen has poisoned the well when it comes to getting smaller diesel engines certified, even with SCR/"AdBlue" (which is not used on the current 2.2 implementations as far as I know).

@T_690 - does the 3 in "GSE T3" mean the 3-cylinder model, or is it just a performance-level indicator? If FCA is seriously considering using a 1-litre 3-cylinder engine on a car this size, that engine must be pretty impressive - currently, the smallest Renegade engine is the 1.4 FIRE MultiAir four-cylinder.

(Even if used in Europe, I wouldn't expect the 3-cylinder to make it to the USA)

19. T_690

T_690 Active Member

I can't see why a diesel engine could not be offered in the USA if it has SCR for RDE. And very soon all diesels for passenger cars must be at least Euro 6d TEMP compliant. The date for new models was 9/2017. For passenger cars is AFAIK 9/2018. Interesting that both 500X and Renegade facelifts will be ready somewhere around that date. Also Cherokee KL facelift will be available in Europe from that date.

I can't see a reason why they could not certified such engines in the USA. Maybe they don't want to take a risks. Or maybe certification costs are to high. Certainly that Americans would like bigger 2.2 liter diesels.

Nomenclature is very clear for both GME and GSE. GME is 500 cc cylinder capacity, GSE 333 cc. T stands for turbo, N for naturally aspirated versions. Digit is for number of cylinders. There could be additional marks like M (MultiAir), D (DOHC) or HO (High Output).

GSE T3 will certainly reach up to 120 HP. GSE T4 up to 180 HP.

In this story introduction of Euro 6d TEMP is very important. By Sergio's words that's death of small 1.3 liter diesel which is used for example in Tipo or 500X. And he said mild hybrid will replace it.

The weakest engine inside of Renegade in Europe should be naturally aspirated 1.6 with 110 HP and around 150 Nm of torque.

It will be interesting to see what will replace TigerShark in the USA. GME T4 in the current state of tune is not the one because that's a replacement for naturally aspirated V6. What sounds plausible for me? GSE T4, GME T3, GME N4. For the middle one there is no indication of development.

AlfaCuda, Ramburger, somber and 2 others like this.
  20. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

Maybe, we'll see 500X Abarth and Renegade Trackhawk ((fingers crossed))

suzq044, Mr. Fusion and Deckard_Cain like this.