Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this why they redesigned Ram tailgates?

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, commercial trucks' started by Dave Z, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

When Allpar broke the story of Ram’s “dual use” patent, long ago, it was met with yawns; and when we showed the first split tailgate spotted in the field, it was met with derision, though some saw it as the answer to their problems.

[​IMG]

And then one Allpar member put two and two together, remembering another patent registered some time ago — one for ramps built into the underbed, which could slide out and make it easier for people to bring farm or sports equipment into their truck.

[​IMG]

In the patent image, you can see a conventional tailgate; but one can imagine that it would be easier to engineer the ramps if the tailgate simply swung out of the way.

There are other conveniences of having a tailgate that can either lie flat, conventionally, or open to the sides (split in the middle so you can open just one side), so the built-in ramps are by no means guaranteed, but Ram could be thinking of putting the two innovations together.

The split/multi-purpose tailgate (or, if you prefer, MultiGate), will almost certainly be an option, like RamBox, rather than a standard feature. That way, those who scoff at the MultiGate can live without it; while those who see it as an eminently practical solution for their own issues, can enjoy one on their own Ram pickup.

Read the whole post here.

voiceofstl and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  2. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Ram is having a wonderful time making trucks. You can get everything from a large car to a off road friend to the most capable pickup in the world.

People who want a car, but need somewhere to put dirty stuff, need more ground clearence, like sitting up higher...check.

Someone who likes Rams but aren't loyal to the crosshair and want a custom look...they got you covered.

You need an office on wheels and need to get your executive friends into the field...check.

You need to tow your second home and some toys...check.

You need to get far off into the wilderness...Got ya a truck for that

Now, my take is, alot of this will be the stuff that makes the Rebel even better. Makes the Powerwagon more formidable.

This is the stuff truck guys need and will use.

I love all the routes Ram has gone...but I am so glad they do still offer things for people who use a truck, and not just for status or because it's the thing.

Ram Powerwagon and Rebel make me so reminiscent of The Adult Toys by dodge era.

Now I just realized I typed this in the wrong post, but the tailgate and ramps definitely make the point that they pay attention to what Ram trucks are used for.

They have to make the best truck ever, better, and a fine job they are doing.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  3. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

A great idea and addition/option for people who need it.

4. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

appositely a viable option...

Devildodge likes this.
  5. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

You got to love the internet. I;ve seen posters at other sites say the most vile stupidest things. "whoever thought of this should be shot" "only retards like Rams"....and it gets worse so I won't repeat them.
    The point of the tail gate its a OPTION. If you don't like it don't get it but don't prevent other folks from ordering it.
    I wish there were more options..tail gates/barn doors on min vans, differant size or no consoles options.
    The built in ramps for the trucks are a great idea.
    Here 1 last comment I have read..."I hate stow&go seats, these things should be outlawed."

6. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Bahaahaa. They should be outlawed because they never thought of them first. That's the only reason. The more options I can choose from (or not choose) the better IMO. The ramps seem to be a big deal in my area. Almost everybody with a truck are looking/wanting them. Integrating them would be awesome. Flex tailgate with integrated ramps........Check!

hemirunner426, Doug D, somber and 2 others like this.
  7. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

If I had any interest in a full-size Ram, the tailgate and ramps would definitely be on my checklist.

Now if they built a plush, club cab version the size of my '99 Dakota, with a 6' bed and 4' between wheelwells, with the tailgate and ramp option, I'd be first in line!

voiceofstl likes this.
  8. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

"Plush" Had a 2002 Dakota. I thought it was pretty plush...unless you wanted power seats, heated/cool seats and heated steering wheel.
    But I'd love your idea of the Daloyta at least a 6 ft bed with 4 feet between the wheel wells as long as a bench seat is a option.

9. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Now if there was a kit to retro fit my '06 Ram 1500 with built in ramps I'd be one of the first in line. Otherwise I love my Ram.

10. Shane Estabrooks

yes and I'm right behind you in line.

Devildodge likes this.
  11. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

The ramps might add weight were they stored underneath, plus they'll tend to rust in northern climates. But they'll probably be easier to use were they able to be pulled out, like moving trucks do with ramps, instead of being carried in the bed. I can see offering them as an option, and/or an after-market item, with slots in the rear end of the bed, and a single tailgate that opens both down and sideways, like some station wagons used to.

Also, I don't know what they're like these days, but the spare tires in the trucks I've owned are/were stored underneath the bed, where they're exposed to the elements while driving, and can experience dry rot. Two of the trucks had hardware that was often difficult to maneuver when putting the spare back when I was done using it. I'd like to see them stored in some kind of cabinet behind the bumper, which can be pulled down easily enough when necessary, and the tire can just slide out and in. Or maybe beneath the bumper, with a mechanism to lower the storage unit for easier removal and insertion when necessary, if clearance will allow it.

12. Shane Estabrooks

Ya you are right about the spare tire... there is no way ramps will fit there and if the tire was lowered then departure angle is affected but only guys like me are worried about departure angle.:D

13. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Maybe that depends on where the ramps are inserted, and how wide they are. In the pic, it looks like they're above the spare, just beneath the bed. If so, a bumper will be more of a problem than the spare. I'd make the slots wide enough so that the ramps can be adjusted to the track of what you want to load.