Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's official! Jeep Wrangler JL and Hurricane power

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Tomguy

Level 2 Supporter

I love the fact that the ecoDiesel 3.0 is what made it in the Wrangler. The engine was already loved by the Jeep & Ram base even after the scandal.
    I know there was concern about packaging it in there and the fact FCA made it happen proves that they care about their base.

dakota21, ScramFan, UN4GTBL and 3 others like this.
  2. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

442 is the story of the day!

3. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

Well done FCA.

This Wrangler, should it launch without any quality issues, will set the bar higher for the entire brand. I expect that 2019 will be a record year for FCA with a new Ram and Wrangler together.

...provide a competitive mid-size sedan to drive the last piece of the market we're missing to dealerships and we're ready for a Golden Age.

4. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

The availability of a mild hybrid really got my attention.

I truly believe mild hybrids is where the entire market is going to move to for the next little while. EVs will carve their unique use, but they simply do not deliver the range, convenience and overall freedom of movement the average consumer expects, and that’s not likely to change for awhile.

danbek, dakota21 and UN4GTBL like this.
  5. T_690

T_690 Active Member

2.0-liter turbocharged I-4 engine
    The all-new 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine with eTorque technology is rated a best-in-class 270 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft. of torque and mated to a new eight-speed automatic transmission. The 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder (I-4) engine's torque output surpasses that of the V-6 engine offered in Wrangler. The all-new eTorque system improves fuel economy, launch performance, and driver comfort during start/stop operations.

The eTorque system's hybrid functions include auto stop/start, electric power assist, extended fuel shut-off, transmission shift management, intelligent battery charging and regenerative braking. Both the engine and fuel flow may be turned off during stops, coasting or when the engine is decelerating.

The all-new 2.0-liter I-4 engine features a twin-scroll, low-inertia turbocharger with an electronically actuated waste gate for exceptional responsiveness and performance, even while traversing over difficult terrain. The turbo is mounted directly to the cylinder head to improve durability. A dedicated cooling circuit lowers the temperature of the intake air, throttle body and turbocharger.

Direct injection, coupled with turbocharging, enables more efficient combustion and increased performance. The 2.0-liter I-4 engine's fuel pump supplies the engine's 2,900-psi high-pressure common-rail injection system. These high pressures produce better fuel atomization and allow for more precise fuel delivery than port fuel-injection systems, which in turn improves both performance and efficiency.

The 2.0-liter turbocharged I-4 engine is part of the Global Medium Engine architecture family and features Double Overhead Camshafts (DOHC), dual independent camshaft timing, and a cooled exhaust gas recirculation (C-EGR) system. This is the first time that the combined use of a twin-scroll turbocharger, C-EGR system, Central Direct Injection and the independent liquid cooling intake of air, throttle body and turbo have been employed together. This combination of technologies enables the high levels of performance and reduces fuel consumption.

AlfaCuda and ScramFan like this.
  6. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

e.O best in class of what? Because Wrangler is sorta-kinda in its own class. Maybe the G-class but that's pushing it.

That said, I wonder if companies are already thinking about how to increase the performance of said turbo-4.

BASONE88, ScramFan and xjgary like this.
  7. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Best in 2 liter turbo engine class for generalist brands and excluding High Output versions.

ScramFan and suzq044 like this.
  8. suzq044

Thanks; wasn't sure if they were talking engines or engine-in-4wd suv or what.. lol - Good to know the parameters.

9. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

Can I just say...
    New Wrangler interior vs Old Wrangler interior.jpg

HOLY WOW!!!!

That steering wheel! It's gorgeous! (As is the rest of the interior!)

BASONE88, danbek, ScramFan and 4 others like this.
  10. Mallard

Mallard Active Member

The leather trim package looks nice. Huge departure from the JK interior!

UN4GTBL and suzq044 like this.
  11. suzq044

The only disappointment in the interior, is that they said the anodized red (or whatever they called it) was optional, which sounds to me like they're not body-color-coded, which to me is a miss. :c

I was also hoping for a manual with the 2L turbo, but with the hybrid system, that seems a no-go.

UN4GTBL, ScramFan and DarkSky like this.
  12. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

With the 2.0 turbo mild hybrid can be used too. The only functionality that will not work for sure would be coasting since than You would need an "eClutch". There are on the market, maybe in a near future they will use it in Wrangler too.

suzq044 likes this.
  13. xjgary

xjgary Active Member

The 2 door is now 1.3 inches longer than my 1993 Cherokee XJ, but the wheelbase is shorter. I find that interesting. I would like to compare canin size and baggage area size.

14. 12soldier

12soldier Well-Known Member

Is that Sky One Touch convertible roof also removable all the way or only as demonstrated for the reveal?

UN4GTBL likes this.
  15. xjgary

xjgary Active Member

I meant "cabin" size, not canin!

BASONE88 likes this.
  16. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Yes. I like the more upright dashboard, too. Fits Wrangler well.

17. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

I take it the “D” stands for direct injection?

Cody's Car Conundrum likes this.
  18. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

I don't know if I missed the memo about this somewhere, but I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this.
    dsrftfy2.jpg

Was this in the thread with the owner's manual leak!? I mean come on! Look at that! It's a window inside the door!

Probably an option, but that's an option I'd get in a heartbeat! (Right alongside the power folding roof too).

BASONE88 likes this.
  19. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

I'm assuming this is a visibility aid when crawling?

20. suzq044

Late-availability option, if i read right. I think it was allpar, if not it was autoblog. Half-doors probably will be a mopar option.