AF: It's ugly | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

But it was only $50. Finally found a camper shell for the '99 Laramie 1500 regular bed. The ad said it fits Chevy regular beds from the 1990's, which were reportedly the same size as the Dodge truck beds (Fords were slightly longer), but the width is about 3 inches narrower than my bed can take. It has a notch where the bed light is, the windows are all there, it's not cracked, and the purchase price included the clamps. But the rear window latch is missing, and those handles are stuck in their position. It has some scratches, and most of the clear-coat has peeled from the top. It was very dirty; I had to stop before entering the freeway to clean the rear and front windows just to see from the rear-view mirror. And it's burgundy.

Camper shell 1.JPG Camper shell 2.JPG Camper shell 3.JPG Camper shell 4.JPG

#1 Scrounge, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Shane Estabrooks and Devildodge like this.
  2. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Don't know yet if it will improve gas mileage, as the tailgate isn't a wind block so long as I have it on. Handling at freeway speeds doesn't seem different, but this truck has always handled well, even before a I had shop replace some front end parts and align it. The shell (also called topper, truck top, bed cap, and canopy in various ads) should keep the bed dry when I'm hauling estate furniture and other items, and I can now haul more items without fear of wind blowing them away. But the interior needs cleaning:

Camper shell 7.JPG

Camper shell 5.JPG Camper shell 6.JPG

3. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Moving things....I would think the camper shell would hinder tall items

4. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

The only major tall item left is the fridge, and I plan to let it convey. There are also 3 floor lamps that don't need to stand when I haul them.

A very worn sticker that I pulled from inside looks like it says Astro Mfg. The shell is an inch or 2 wider at the rear than at the front, and there's a small gap between the bottom of the rear window and the rest of the shell when it's closed. Don't know if it was bent like that when installed, or from sitting on the ground for so long. When I try to adjust it, the top of the clamp goes onto a ridge, and won't seat correctly. For now, I'll just have to live with the gap.

When washing it yesterday, I noticed that birds left a few editorial comments on the roof of the cab. This ain't a Ford, Tweetie Pie!

Cleaning out the inside revealed another problem: ants. Looks like they hid in the metal bar where the shell seats near the cab side of the bed. I killed some of them with bug spray, but they kept coming out, so I left a small plastic Terro bait pack to poison them. Time will tell if that works.