AF: Jeep Africa or Jeep Rescue? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeep Africa or Jeep Rescue?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by aaaaaa, Aug 18, 2020.

1. aaaaaa

aaaaaa Active Member

Do anyone here have any word on if FCA will build the Jeep Africa or the Jeep Rescue..one of these two Jeep would a outstanding Safari vehicle..

2. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

Nope. They are just concepts to gauge interest in design directions. Look for parts of them to make to production vehicles, but not the entire thing.

3. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

The Africa concept looks like an exploration of a steel-roofed Wrangler with added cargo space.

That extended rear overhang already appeared on Gladiator. Those steel running boards are now offered as Mopar options on JL. The blacked-out hood decal is now a staple on some special editions.

I can see FCA adding a 3-row Wrangler at some point. Adding seating capacity is a cheap way to grow consumer demand without having to do anything else, like improve your quality or safety record.

A 3-row Wrangler would probably need a steel roof, though, for added safety.

upload_2020-8-19_8-0-30.jpeg

The Jeep Rescue was the precursor of the Wrangler Unlimited 4-door. In fact, JK’s hero color at launch was that green paint, named Rescue Green.

[​IMG]

Chebby7, page2171, Zagnut27 and 4 others like this.
  4. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

The Africa was pretty much a Wrangler equivalent to the Land Rover 110 Safari Wagon, first launched in the 1960s, even down to the use of a white roof:

[​IMG]

It’s a shame they didn’t proceed with the Africa, as in the wetter latitudes of Northern Europe, the Wrangler’s ability to become a convertible isn’t much of an advantage against the amount of interior space it steals.

Chebby7, page2171, T_690 and 3 others like this.
  5. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

A fixed windshield (reduces costs), steel roof vehicle could also be interesting as work utility vehicle in many countries.
    Even more without a ton of options that make only price go up, when there are many potential customers interested to offroad capabilities and payload.

Why I have to pay for options, for example leather seats, subwoofer, ... that I don't need to access to mechanical offroad enhancements?

T_690, ScramFan, Zagnut27 and 2 others like this.
  6. Ryan

I think Jeep has been pretty good about this, on the Wrangler at least. The Rubicon still comes with cloth seats, the smaller 7" screen, no heated seats, a manual transmission, halogen headlights, etc.

valiant67 likes this.
  7. aldo90731

I’d be interested in a steel roofed Wrangler. I never take the top off mine. I tried once or twice and then I had to deal with the water leaks.

I view Wrangler 4-door more as a replacement for SJ/XJ/ZJ than as a dune buggy. As such, a steel roofed version would be great. Particularly if you get some added benefits, like reduced wind noise on the freeway, fewer squeaks and rattles, more interior room —i.e., no need for roll cage, and better overall value for the money. And it would make a sturdier base on which to mount a roof rack, a roof tent, etc.

page2171, JKU12, MJAB and 1 other person like this.
  8. aaaaaa

aaaaaa Active Member

I wonder if FCA is looking into the Africa?If we don’t someone will beat us to the trails or streets..

9. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yeah, a steel roof Wrangler with additional cargo space (ideally with an option for a 3rd row) would be great for me. I couldn’t care less if I couldn’t take the top off, that’s more of a novelty for me than a need. A steel roof would also add security to help deter the loose fingers looking to steal stuff, which is better for me working in Philly. Give me a sunroof and I’ll be happy.

page2171 and aldo90731 like this.
  10. aldo90731

The closest to a full steel-bodied off-road SUV still on the market is Toyota 4Runner. It has IFS, but retains body-on-frame construction and a true 4WD transfer case.

Toyota is supposedly looking to bring back FJ Cruiser, perhaps as a 4-door, and update 4Runner and Land Cruiser, all sharing one frame with Tacoma and Tundra.

11. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Toyota Land Cruiser over the years become more SUV and less utilitarian.
    Its price increassed over the years, so that now, at least in Europe, the 5 door version have base price that is higher than a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

I think that now the Land Cruiser (5 doors) is more like a Grand Cherokee than a Wrangler Unlimited.

note: in Europe base price of Rubicon is the same of the Sahara.

INEOS will launch a vehicle that is like the old Defender 110, the Grenadier.
    Production should start in 2021 and will be sold also in U.S.A..

This is their last video showing another part of development.
    I think the reason they will offer it only with ZF 8HP it is that from 2022 the 4th generation electrified transmission from ZF will make it possible to INEOS to offer various hybrids versions.
    Personnaly I would perfer a 4 cylinders diesel, even better mild hybrid, than the inline 6 cylinder BMW diesel engine.

T_690 and ScramFan like this.
  12. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Would love to have the Africa. The proportions between passenger space and cargo space are similar (but larger overall obviously) to that of the XJ.
    It just looks right.

13. aldo90731

I believe Land Cruiser still offers real lockers. That’s a big deal in off-roading. So from that standpoint, Land Cruiser still offers much more capability than Grand Cherokee.

Toyota was supposedly reevaluating if it still needs a 4Runner, a Land Cruiser and a 4-door FJ Cruiser. Like @MJAB says, the Land Cruiser is priced out of the market. Perhaps this is the reason Toyota is considering bringing FJ Cruiser back as a 4-door.

KrisW likes this.
  14. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Well if I remember well with the Land Cruiser series 200 the option of differential locks was reduced.
    If I remember well in some markets there is only the central differential lock (that is aTorsen type).
    In some there is the option on some packages of the rear diff lock.
    In the previous series 100 they had the option of the three diff lock (don't know if in every market), but also there were problems with short life of the locks, well at least in the markets where people used it as Australia.
    Maybe it this the reason why in some markets they were already selling series 70 and 80 with the newer ones.

But they have the 4 zones A/C system option :)

Anyway in 2022 should be the end for Land Cruiser, no new generation.
    Same end of Mitsubishi Pajero.

aldo90731 likes this.
  15. falconma

falconma Active Member

For the US spec land cruiser 200 you get full time 4wd and there is only a center diff lock and no way to factory option anything else (no real trims/options available except for rear entertainment and floor mats).They try to make up for it with crawl control which seems to be effective from most assessments. Those who really want the F/R lockers have to go aftermarket.

Attached Files:

16. aldo90731

I had “crawl control” on my Tacoma. Yes, it is effective. But it was painful to have to listen to all the loud groaning of the brakes. The racket it makes is very unbecoming of an automaker like Toyota.