AF: Jeep and Dodge delay new models | Page 32 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeep and Dodge delay new models

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Erik Latranyi, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Who says you can't have a minivan and off-road capability in the same vehicle: (some Toyota monstrosity) :D

[​IMG]

I for one would love to be able to have a 3-row Jeep (Grand Cherokee or Wagoneer, although naming it Grand Cherokee or some derivative of that makes no sense to me) that had exceptional off-road ability. It would be nice to retire my Liberty in favor of a vehicle that meets ALL of my family's needs. Unfortunately as of now, none exists no matter how much I wish it to be so. Wish in one hand, crap in the other...see which fills up first. What I don't want, or need, is a rebadged Durango with a "trail rated" badge plastered on the side. I'll end up paying more for it, and it still won't meet my needs.

#621 Zagnut27, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
  2. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

Thats a Tacoma with a Sienna body tacked on.

#622 Moparian, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
  3. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yup. It was part of their contribution to SEMA I believe.

4. CarSalesBill

CarSalesBill Active Member

At the dealership I work at because we're a huge dealership with an itty bitty showroom and cars scattered for miles, we sit customers down and ask them to build their dream car and then we try to bring the closest vehicle from our various storage lots. Many customers want to build an affordable 3 row Jeep. I think FCA knows this as well.

Furthermore, many of these 3 row Jeep intenders would buy on the spot or we would a least stay on their list of contenders, when we try to switch them to a Dodge we meet resistance and they say they'll get back to us......which rarely happens.

The reason they want a Jeep is for an all weather vehicle, not to go off road. What is wrong with FCA going along with what customers want?

#624 CarSalesBill, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  5. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Absolutely nothing, if the destruction of a what a brand represents isn't an issue for you.

Since they are already down that road - and have been for some time - I'll agree that they might as well go ahead and do it. But it seems silly to me to have same-brand duplication with two 3-row Jeeps.

Because today, an affordable all-weather 3-row Jeep Grand Cherokee exists - as a Dodge Durango. But, folks want the cachet of the brand. I get it. Don't have to agree with it, but I get it.

In the end, everyone's money spends the same.

6. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Which is exactly what one can get with the Durango. EXACTLY. Let's try to not completely prostitute the Jeep brand.

7. CarSalesBill

But people won't buy the Durango because of the Dodge brand where the same vehicle in a Jeep brand would sell.

BTW, think how much better mid size SUV's/crossovers sell as 3 row vs 2 row, Edge vs Explorer, Venza vs Highlander, etc.

8. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Then as a manager of both brands, the question should be how too raise the Dodge brand to the sell more Durango's, not push Jeep further downward.

I still would like to see a 7 passenger vehicle based on the Ram 1500. A restyled Jeep Rescue with 7 passenger seating would make quite a Wagoneer...

dyslexic teddybear and UN4GTBL like this.
  9. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Lots of differences between the nameplates, history, looks of those, etc. I don't think you can simplify and say "3 row sells better than 2 rows".

dyslexic teddybear likes this.
  10. CarSalesBill

Pushing Jeep down? We already have 2 wheel drive Jeeps based on Mitsubishis , a 3 seat AWD only family adventure oreinted Grand Cherokee would pull the brand up. I would rather they get larger profits from 3 row Grand Cherokees and use the profits for a strong launch of the upcoming Alfa based Dodges. That's brand management.

This argument is the endless Death of Jeep vs current Jeep sales are world shattering argument that goes on here. I side with Marchionne, SUV's should be Jeeps (Chrysler can have tall stationwagon people moving appliances to compliment the minivan, ie, Journey replacement and possible modern Pacifica based on minivan), Dodge needs to be hot-rodish cars.

11. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Agree, a Wagoneer, modern styled with retro flair, decent off road chops, comfortable 7 pass seating. $50-75k price. Would be a great vehicle.

12. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

How about an affordable 7-passenger "Jeep Wagoneer" to replace Durango, and an even bigger luxed-out "Jeep Grand Wagoneer" as the brand's flagship?

13. For whatever reason they have turned a blind eye to this market for years. A Grand Wagoneer based on Ram could rival an Escalade in price and profit. The same way the proposed but never built Adventurer should have been built in the 90s.

14. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

What Jeeps are based on Mitsubishis and which are 2WD drive now? Compass and Patriot? Or are you thinking of past vehicles?:rolleyes:

Other than that point, I can't argue that Jeep is selling very well with lots of FWD and AWD vehicles. 'Course, I still contend that better articulated Jeeps that are only offered in Trail Rated forms would sell nearly as well. The more street focused vehicles would and should be sold as Chryslers, with "hot-rod" versions as Dodges. Good vehicles will sell themselves but it's true, the easier sales route is to slap on a Jeep badge. There should be less whining about how everything needs to be a Jeep and more vision and work done about how to raise the equity in the Dodge and Chrysler brands.

md80891 likes this.
  15. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Talk about a lost opportunity. Cheap gas, SUV craze at it's peak... Nah, they were better off hooking up with those sausage grinders at Mercedes.

DaveAdmin and UN4GTBL like this.
  16. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

The Durango is offered with AWD which should be more than enough for MOST people. Oh it says Dodge and you wont buy it.... here let me have our body shop take those badges off for you. I'll even order a Jeep badge for you if that is the ONLY reason you wont consider this Durango that offers the same AWD system and has the extra row of seats to fit your needs. Back when I sold cars it was a bit harder to overcome because there was a clear difference between Jeep and Dodge....now, not so much.

17. wvutuba

wvutuba Well-Known Member

Adventurer? I'm not familiar with this and I can't seem to find much with google...care to expand on it?

18. CarSalesBill

The Jeep brand has worldwide appeal while Chrysler and Dodge not so much, investments in Jeep have global implications to the bottom line. . A 3 row Grand Cherokee would be much easier to sell abroad than the Durango. Dodge needs to be very focused on American muscle like an automobile answer to Harley Davidson. Chrysler needs to be America's answer to Honda with 300 as a halo car.

The ComPatriot is Mitsubishi based with "world" engines and Hyundai or JATCO transmissions

19. CarSalesBill

Really, that's the answer? Another reason to make a 3rd row Grand Cherokee is that it surely would push sales past Explorer

20. This was to be the name of a proposed Ram based SUV. Now my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I believe it was to be built at Pillette Road assy. In Windsor.

wvutuba likes this.