AF: Jeep and Dodge delay new models | Page 33 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeep and Dodge delay new models

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Erik Latranyi, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

Overcoming objections 101. I've switched people to minivans that came in wanting a SUV and had no intention of ever buying a van, but when I showed them how much better it fit their needs(and not their wants) they bought it and were very happy. Yes there are some brand snobs out there that you cant get past the badge on the nose they will never see but there is not enough of them out there to warrant a 7 pass GC, Wagoneer and Durango.

2. CarSalesBill

CarSalesBill Active Member

"Some brand snobs out there"?o_O How about how almost everyone is some sort of brand snob, even humblebraggers.

BTW, I'm in favor of no more Durango or Dodge Journey when the next revisions are done. Dodges should just be sporty coupes and sedan, maybe econoboxes>hot hatches.

3. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Is it only because of the 3rd row?

Visually, I find the Edge and Venza rather unappealing compared to the Explorer and Highlander. I'm sure that plays a part.

Venza was always more of a station wagon than an SUV. Toyota also announced that it's been discontinued.

Why doesn't the Flex sell better? It has 3 rows.

I'm not discounting the lure of the Jeep brand to those that are more brand-conscious than others. Liberty outsold Nitro despite being smaller and not offering the 4.0L engine - I would guess that a good chunk of that was the branding.

4. Stratuscaster

That's oversimplfying it a bit, but let's not let facts get in the way.

None of those tidbits are used in those vehicles marketing materials, are they?

Both are decent "value" propositions for price-sensitive customers.

5. Stratuscaster

That wouldn't be a bad idea - and kinda what I was suggesting earlier.

james.mooney. likes this.
  6. Stratuscaster

wvutuba likes this.
  7. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

A dealership might lose a customer to another brand if that customer truly wants a Jeep off road vehicle that is a large 7 pass SUV. (Considering that doesn't exist).

I find it really hard to believe a dealership can't sell someone on a Durango if they are truly looking for an all weather 7 pass SUV that size. What are they going to that's better with more capability???

8. Moparian

Bingo. That should be an easy objection to over come. Please. come take a look at this AWD Durango. It shares the same underpinnings as the Grand Cherokee, the same engine and transmission and even the AWD system is the same. You can equip it with all of the same options and its actually cheaper than a similar Grand Cherokee while still giving you that 7 passenger capability. < that should be the key point of emphasis.

UN4GTBL, Nimbus9 and JKU12 like this.
  9. CarSalesBill

"My neighbor had a Durango it was a terrible gas pig and was in the shop an awful lot, besides, I wouldn't be seen in a Dodge, call me if Jeep come out with a 7 seater"

BTW, that "its actually cheaper than a similar Grand Cherokee while still giving you that 7 passenger capability." that takes money out of FCA's pocket.

We can all bitch about brand snobbery, might as well bitch about gravity. Dodge for most applications is a damaged brand. look at the difference in Jeep vs Dodge resale value or lease residuals.

10. Moparian

So how much money does FCA lose when that customer walks out the door and buys something else vs the 2-3k difference in price. Did you even think before you wrote that?

11. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Funny, cause Jeep has the same quality ratings as Dodge. This should be an easy sales turnaround if the buyer is true about purchasing a vehicle.

Also, isn't the Durango the same mpg as the GC?

Yet again, another easy sales turnaround.

UN4GTBL and Moparian like this.
  12. CarSalesBill

Perception is everything, they mostly can't wrap their mind around that a Durango is closer to a Mercedes and Highlander/ Pilot/ Traverse is a minivan and 4runner is a Tacoma. They think Dodge is a loser brand and they don't think that way about Jeep. I've sold 5 Durangos this year vs 5 Grand Cherokees a month. Selling Grand Cherokees is easy and profitable, selling Durangos is hard and less profitable.

Then there's the sales outside the USA. A 7 passenger Grand Cherokee can't get here soon enough. FCA needs the profits.

13. dana44

Ad-Free Member

AAaaaaaa, so there's the deal with you and Dodge vs. Jeeps, it's the easy money, not the car itself.

Funny about the notice of dropping value and depreciation. Edmonds is doing a one year drive test, seems they spent more time trying to find a charger Sedan SRT, and with five year old cars going for at and above MSRP when new, it isn't the car itself, it's all about the money. Not a very good salesman when one can't fit a person's needs to a vehicle that is in inventory, letting them walk away and losing a sale, and when you lose a sale, you actually lose two. One for the company and one because the competition gained one.

14. CarSalesBill

Cheap shot. Selling cars is very hard, none of it is easy money. I listen to the customers real well and they don't want a Dodge in their driveway but want a Jeep. Jeep is a winner and Dodge is the car Al Bundy drives. I wish it was different but I bet Sergio agrees with me.

A good businessman tries to give people what they want not force them into something they don't want. Sometimes you can changes peoples perceptions but often you can't. Many great cars couldn't be sold and the companies went out of business.

#654 CarSalesBill, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    CDJSalesPro likes this.
  15. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

They also make 5x as many GC's as they do Durangos... I would bet you have a lot more inventory of GCs to offer up.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  16. CarSalesBill

They make 5 times more Grand Cherokees because Grand Cherokees sell better at higher profits for everybody from FCA to the dealer to the salesperson. In other manufacturers car lines 3 row versions sell better than 2 row versions. Remember how the SWB minivans went away.

17. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Yup. I called it in post #634. It's easier to sell Jeeps than Dodges. I don't necessarily think that the blame should be shouldered onto the sales people either. They gotta sell to eat, so what incentive do they have to push a Dodge when they can spend the same effort and sell 2-3 Jeeps? FCA shoulders the blame for not having quality vehicles and brand equity that's on par with what else is in the showroom. FCA should also resist the pressure from people to keep making vehicles that are only an easy sell as well and that includes weak crossovers posing as Jeeps.

18. CarSalesBill

FCA had nothing to do with building the 2 generation Durango which gave the Durango a bad name or the first generation Durango which was a good truck but gained a reputation as quite a gas guzzler,

Sometimes it seems a though FCA can do no right on this board even when the decisions are obvious.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  19. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Well, cheap shot or not, it was both said, and, I remember growing up and Dad would go car shopping, and to make sure it was what he really wanted, he was able to rent or borrow a car for a week to see if it was what the family wanted or needed. You can't tell me this isn't a possibility to show the perspective buyer that the Durango is actually a better vehicle than they simply assume from word of mouth. At the same time, yes, FCA needs to improve the Dodge image, whether that is though actual quality or through the dealership experience, I don't know, I don't own the company, I just know whatever they are doing it is the "status quo" and not actual improvements to give the Dodge brand a better reputation overall.

20. Mopartial

Mopartial Fits and Finishes

(Regarding all FCA SUVs bearing the Jeep name) Maybe, but only for a while, until the Jeep name has been weakened by marketing to the urbanites who will insist on the Jeep name but also a floating pillow ride. Yours is the kind of short-term, quick-buck thinking that kills brands and companies.

#660 Mopartial, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015