AF: Jeep and Dodge delay new models | Page 35 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeep and Dodge delay new models

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Erik Latranyi, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I am totally with Strat, once people give the Durango a chance, they tend to go for it if they can afford it. Speaking of which, to go with Bob, they did indeed move Durango production so that instead of being made with the Ram it was based on, it went to Newark, Delaware, for a few years, and then over to Jefferson Avenue in Detroit proper where Grand Cherokee is made.

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

So another selling point is, they are built right next to the Jeep Grand Cherokee when they came out with the new design. Still say they need to do a little more advertising on the Journey, Dart, Durango, and 200/300. Chrysler has always been one to advertise to get a new model started and then they build the cars for the next three to 11 years and have no advertising whatsoever, so of course they don't sell, and as a matter of fact, I don't know how many times the wife and I are stuck in traffic and she notes a Dodge or Chrysler, and at the end of the conversation is the unbelievable, "never knew it existed." Time to do proper advertising. They do have Challenger, Dodge Ram, Jeep GC down pat, and I know there are other models out there.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I heard that a lot when I drove a test Pacifica... both times. And everyone’s interest dropped to nothing when I said it was a Chrysler. That was when they were new... I've long thought the Chrysler brand should have been sacrificed instead of Plymouth given the tarnish it got from the 1970s bailout and all the crap-talk from Daimler, but Olivier Francois really brought it back from the dead. Comeback Kid so to speak.

UN4GTBL and Prabhjot like this.
  4. Not what I meant. After Newark shut down, there was talk of moving that 2009 existing model, but at the last moment for whatever reason the Aspen and Durango died. There was no 2010 model. New Jeep based unit came on line in 2011.

5. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...

I believe it was a lack of sales and lack of demand at the time for large thirsty SUVs. The hybrid models didn't get that much better fuel economy and they couldn't justify keeping Newark open just to build the hybrid models.

Combine that with the need for cash as the bankruptcy loomed overhead and it was a pretty cut-and-dried decision to make.

6. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

Shucks, I'm still holding out for an updated FC170. The sales people I encounter don't even know what that is. Most can't tell me whether any model on the sales floor has a timing belt or a timing chain. For a long time they have mostly not known the difference between five times as much as and five times more than.

I don think the UAZ 3303 could ever be modified to meet current US safety and emission standards. I suspect that explains a lot about the lack of modern FC170s in showrooms.

7. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

Personally, I think they should drop the Durango, not because I don't like it but to increase Grand Cherokee production and bring back the full size RAM Charger in 2 Door and 4 door version.

Yep, in the big picture I have no idea how to do it but no matter how I like the Durango, it doesn't get top billing in the dealer lots. Our local dealer doesn't even have one nor is there much of a selection in the larger dealer lots.

Wil

CivoLee likes this.
  8. CivoLee

CivoLee Well-Known Member

I actually agree with this...the Durango is kind of a holdover from when Dodge was still a mainstream/blue collar brand that also sold trucks. It, as well as the Journey and Grand Caravan, dilutes Dodge's new focus as a muscle/performance brand. The Journey should be moved to Chrysler as a new Pacifica and the Grand Caravan should be dropped in favor of the Town & Country.

Jeep can exist as FCA's only "pure" SUV brand and keep the purists happy by having trail-rated versions of every vehicle they sell.

Prabhjot and CarSalesBill like this.
  9. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

We want a 3-row because of the kids, and my choice would be the Durango...I really like it, especially the Citadel. However, my wife has decided pretty much on the Enclave. We shall see.

10. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Dave, first generation Durango shared everything forward of the A-pillars with the Dakota, not the Ram. It used the rear hatch from the minivans at that time and was built in Newark, DE from day one.

Second generation was still built in Newark, DE until the end.

Third generation was considered for other assembly plants (they knew Grand Cherokee was going to be a big hit) but really didn't have anywhere else to build it.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  11. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Durango's best quality is that it was not based on the larger Ram truck.

Moving the Durango to the larger truck chassis is a bad move. That market is locked down, it would be a failure.

The Durango is fine as it is, they just need to add another assembly line somewhere so there can produce enough Durango's and Grand Cherokee's to meet demand.

The current marketing for the Durango also works well as a Dodge, when they actually market it. The R/T version is equipped as such also.

Mike

#691 Mike V., Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    Mario9, UN4GTBL, JKU12 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Stratuscaster

Enclave's not a bad ride - it's my favorite of the GM Lambda vehicles.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  13. Stratuscaster

I seem to recall that the previous-gen Durango (and Dakota) were using bits from the Ram 1500 (I want to say the front part of the frame, perhaps?)

While the Dodge brand does have that "performance" slant - it's not performance-exclusive. They haven't dropped the base Dart or Charger, have they? In my mind, both the Journey and Durango still fit the brand - view them as modern day station wagons. Grand Caravan - we can argue if it still fits or not, but that decision has been made. I'll just say go tromp on the gas pedal of a 283HP Grand Caravan and tell me there's no "performance" there.

Mario9, UN4GTBL and somber like this.
  14. Mopar Jerry

Level III Supporter

Good morning. A friend of mine sold his Tahoe & with a little proding checked out the Durango R/T . After 5 months of ownership he thinks it is the best SUV on the road & having ridden in several times am considering it for my next new purchase.
    MOPAR Always!

UN4GTBL likes this.
  15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Whoops, you're right. I only got the Warren thing from Bob's post. I know it was in Newark during the last generation. And you know, i think I was confusing Durango with the next generation Dakota. Maybe.

16. somber

somber 370,000 miles

Better 0-60 times than any Dart trim level.

UN4GTBL and md80891 like this.
  17. md80891

md80891 Active Member

It was going to make the Motor Trend top five a couple of years ago but they sent a shoddy test unit. One wonders if they have any toes left to shoot off.

UN4GTBL and Dave Z like this.
  18. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I just read an Edmonds comparison review of the Durango and they said it was by far the best SUV in its class, hands down. Go figure.

19. md80891

md80891 Active Member

Is it limited by production? They do not advertise it a lot and it is the sexiest beast in them segment.

I have intervied dozens of soccer moms over the past few years who loved their Durangos. Their major concern was mileage when gas prices are high. Eco diesel or phev would be nice.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

It’s partly limited by production since it shares a plant with Grand cherokee but I'd rather see them advertise both and drop the incentives.

UN4GTBL likes this.