Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JEEP AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERS - Need help in locating software

Discussion in 'Wrangler, CJ, Wagoneer, other traditional Jeeps' started by Hemidakota, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

I have a heavy, modified tactical off-road vehicle, with significant changes to the Center of Gravity (CG) and weight from the original engineering data sheet. Is there a free online/website calculator/tool that can be used to calculate a vehicle's risk of rollover (or provides estimates of limits) based on factors such as:

- CG

- CG height over ground

- Vehicle weight (variable based on passenger load)

- Axle separation

- Speed

- Acceleration/deceleration

- Surface type (asphalt, loose dirt, packed dirt)

- ascent/descent/side slope grades

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Good question. A 'risk of rollover' app would have liabilities, whether or not something went wrong. I know of no engineer who would put their reputation on the line as to any vehicle's ultimate 'tipping point'.
    A mechanical engineer may have some pointers and there is some 'common sense' guidelines. There are likely a few more variables and possible unknowns to the equation than you stated.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  3. ptschett

ptschett Well-Known Member

We actually do publish tipping loads in my line of work (construction equipment), the rated operating load of a wheel loader, tractor-loader-backhoe or skid-steer loader is generally 50% of the load that makes the machine tip forward.

The calculators that I know of are proprietary since they need to account for the kinematics of the lift arm linkages.

ImperialCrown likes this.