AF: Jeep break away | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeep break away

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by Rainer, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Rainer

Rainer New Member

Do you all think that with the high end Jeeps coming out that eventually Jeep will be pulling away from the market we’re it sits how and moving up to the higher end of SUVs like Toyota did with Lexus? I feel that the Jeep will be the flagship of all FCA brands . I for see a time that criteria to getting Jeeps will be to tough for the average store to get.

2. Quambi

Quambi Well-Known Member

The upcoming stand-alone Jeep dealerships would support the idea of Jeep moving upmarket.

The shift upmarket for Jeep would make room for more affordable Chrysler SUV's. But would anyone still want to buy an SUV (or anything else for that matter) from Chrysler?

Chrysler UK likes this.
  3. Rainer

Rainer New Member

This is a add on to the thread. I found out today that the criteria for the Jeep order bank just got tougher. If you sales staff or personnel are not certified you will be not able to order or get allocated any Grand Wagoneer‘s or Wagoneers . I believe that the Jeep brand will go the way Range Rover nonce available to the Common people but no longer that way

4. Chrysler UK

Chrysler UK Active Member

With vehicles like the Wagoneer, its clear that FCA is trying to position Jeep as a proper luxury brand. Granted it will have to take a lot of work to make it actually happen, but that is clearly their aim.

I feel that the Jeep will be the flagship of all FCA brands.[/QUOTE]

From a sales perspective, Jeep has already become the biggest driver of both sales & profit within FCA itself.

If those Chrysler SUVs are better than the likes of the Traverse, Tahoe, Suburban & Yukon, then the answer is yes. The trouble is though, is FCA willing to make such SUVs?

chcharlie, Donte Lindsey and jclick like this.
  5. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

There are plenty of buyers for Chrysler branded SUV/CUVS. Can’t buy what they won’t build.

6. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Rover actually started as a luxury car builder. Post-War, the need for luxury cars was weak, so Rover designed a 4x4 on a Jeep chassis. That became what we know as the Land Rover. It should be no surprise that Rover would try to go upscale, hence the Range Rover. Landys were a product of necessity, and Commonwealth and other militaries (Turkey, Albania for example) really liked them. Grand Wagoneer, however, was the first "luxury SUV." Note that Ralph Gilles said they minimized "Jeep" on the Grand Wagoneer concept by intent. I think THAT is where the luxury branding is going to be, but it might be something like Maybach is to MB.

Not 100% sure what were your quotes and you quoting someone else. Anyway...the question isn't whether FCA is willing, but whether Stellantis is willing. The answer has to be a resounding "Yes!" That, or Stellantis will fail, and not just with Jeep/Grand Wagoneer. Carlos Tavares has to DRIVE the quality train at the corporate level - he has to make Stellantis a quality organization, starting at the top.

7. Chrysler UK

Sorry about that, it was due to some mistakes I made when I orginally typed that post.

Well its something that I fully agree with yourself.

8. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Question, if Jeep splits off into separate dealerships, then what does that leave existing dealerships to sell?

9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Used Jeeps.

10. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

Hopefully lots of Rams.

800-900k in yearly sales can happen.

Chrysler UK likes this.
  11. Chrysler UK

At the bare minimum, they would be able to sell RAM Trucks going forward (no matter what happens to Chrysler & Dodge). Likewise I wouldn't be surprised if many CDJR Dealerships simply decide to become (solely) Jeep Dealerships (or Jeep-Ram Dealerships) as part of this process.

12. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

The Dodge and Chrysler SUVs and CUVs that they're not building because they have Jeep in the same dealership?

jorisr likes this.
  13. Chrysler UK

Looking at the current direction Chrysler & Dodge are going, they might as well use this song for their future marketing campaigns:

The Specials - Ghost Town

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqZ8428GSrI

Because in all honesty, that would pefectly describe their product range...or rather the lack of it.

superduckie5000, jimboy and Tony K like this.
  14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

They could have been doing that all along, but instead chose the (short term) higher profits of throwing the less capable ones under Jeep rather than Dodge or Chrysler (not unique to FCA). Who cares if a FWD car based Jeep diluted Jeep’s reputation?

Zagnut27, Chrysler UK and Doug D like this.
  15. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

That's exactly what Norm (and others) were concerned about. The Cherokee, Renegade and Compass could have easily been under Dodge or Chrysler.

AvengerGuy, jimboy, page2171 and 2 others like this.
  16. Chrysler UK

The Cherokee* could remain under Jeep (although Chrysler version of said SUV should be produced as well), however I would agree that it would make sense to replace the Renegade & Compass with a single Chrysler CUV.

For the record, I would prefer if the proposed WL74 model was called the "Cherokee" (and thus replace the current version) and the WL75 model was called the "Grand Cherokee"

freshforged likes this.
  17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The Cherokee, and this is not often discussed, is Rubicon-capable at least in Trailhawk form. People forget that.

The Renegade and Compass, as far as I know, are not. Those are the ones that could have been Chryslers or Dodges, but the Jeep name sells and Chrysler does not. As for Dodge, they are clearly not aligned with Dodge's image in any way.

This is why I always felt it was inane to drop Plymouth. Keep Dodge for performance cars, keep Chrysler for one or two high-end cars, Plymouth for the rest. But those days aren't coming back.

I like the idea of Cherokee becoming WL74 and Grand Cherokee being WL75, which makes more sense than what they have now. Then the Cherokee itself takes a brief rest and comes back refreshed as something else - Chrysler Commander, maybe, or Dodge Doughboy, Peugeot Penguin, Citroën Sammy, DS 6.5, or whatever.

LouJC, freshforged, djsamuel and 2 others like this.
  18. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Fixed it for you. :)

Yep, that was the Chrysler Corporation in the early '90's.

19. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The trucks were all Dodge had to offer the V8 RWD performance crowd. Some accepted FWD turbo performance, some stayed with Dodge for the trucks, and many bought a Mustang.

20. Chrysler UK

Glad you agree with this. Especially when it not only solves the naming issue over both models; but also means that the Grand Cherokee can better compete in size with the likes of the Traverse* & Aviator, while also making sure that the Cherokee is better sized to compete with its rivals as well.

*Especially when the current WK2 Grand Cherokee is about 36 cm shorter & 7 cm narrower than the Traverse for example.

If you are talking about the Jeep Cherokee (KL); I would prefer to replace the Renegade and Compass (and take the place of the KL as well) with a Chrysler LeBaron CUV that is not only based on the Giorgio Platform, but is also roughly the size of the KL as well.

Which would ultimately mean that Jeep Range is consolidated around the Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee & Wagoneer