Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeep Grand Commander?

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Dec 13, 2017.

1. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Production line of vehicles are built and engineered proportionally to the needed forecasted output.
    Limited volumes doesn't mean no margin per unit.

2. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

I think that was part of the problem - it was billed as a 7 seater, but the reality is that it was a Flex manufacturing exercise that provided a grander Grand Cherokee which just happened to include a jump seat for occasional use. Had it been market properly and come to market a better time in the fuel

Nah, the designers did the best they could with the specs they got from the engineers who said: "really you want us to make a Jeep out of that?!" o_O

LOL - apparently I hadn't finished nor posted the previous post and I'm not gonna fix it because @Erik Latranyi already covered it. :oops:

#42 DAGAR, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Erik Latranyi likes this.
  3. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective
    Level 2 Supporter

Considering a Wrangler barely depreciates - imagine if FCA discontinued Wrangler. They would appreciate overnight. The Commander was a beautiful niche within a niche, an off-road capable 7 passenger Jeep with "trail rated" capability.

4. TripleT

Level III Supporter

if you want me to see a argument made by Erik, you should make it yourself. We didn't own one because it didn't have usable back seat. In the end it just stole capacity from the GC and was not a plus sale proposition. It really wasn't a grander Cherokee.. It was just XJ styled Cherokee with a wasted seat in the back that my dwarf fried could only use.

GasAxe and ScramFan like this.
  5. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Well I was making the argument myself, but got distracted and didn't feel the need to finish it based on the dialogue in the meantime, lol... The only argument was with the statement that said the Commander was a failure. That needs to be qualified because it was a success as a Flex exercise, but a market flop for a number of reasons including those you have stated.

TripleT and Erik Latranyi like this.
  6. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Moved off-topic posts to this thread. Please continue the Grand Wagoneer discussion there.

7. MoparMantis

MoparMantis Well-Known Member

My brother had a Commander for a while. We had a 00 Durango at the time. Between the 2 we had 14 seat belts. During family events we'd throw everyone (grand parents, cousins, aunts, etc) into the 2 of them instead of driving 4 vehicles around. After people rode in both they would have arguments over who got to ride in the Durango. I rode in the back seat of the Commander once, that was brutal. The middle row on the Durango was also more comfortable than the Commander.

In regards to the Wagoneer, it can't get here soon enough for me. Assuming it carries over the strengths of the Ram and Jeep line (in its own unique way), and that it's not ugly, my biggest debate will be which motor to get. Our old Durango has more miles behind it than it has ahead of it.

Zagnut27, suzq044, aldo90731 and 3 others like this.
  8. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

What if your dwarf was baked? :DLOL (Friday. Have to have a little humor.)

Zagnut27, somber, page2171 and 3 others like this.
  9. TripleT

Level III Supporter

the n is pretty important.

10. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

11. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

12. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Sort of the same methodology as the original Commander over the Grand Cherokee.

DarkSky likes this.
  13. badgerbeerman

badgerbeerman Active Member

I have a 06 4.7 Commander. Great Jeep. Has been off road where a lot of other SUV,s cant go. Fits a lot of cargo, tows what I want. I plan on handing it down to my son soon. He wants it as his first car.

14. badgerbeerman

badgerbeerman Active Member

I have a 06 4.7 Commander. Great Jeep. Has been off road where a lot of other SUV,s cant go. Fits a lot of cargo, tows what I want. I plan on handing it down to my son soon. He wants it as his first car.

suzq044, BobbiBigWheels and aldo90731 like this.
  15. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Too bad it had to compete with the GC for production space.

badgerbeerman likes this.
  16. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Commander in its best year sold 92,000 vehicles in the US and Canada in 2006. Grand Cherokee sold 146,000 vehicles that year for US and Canada. Those numbers don't also count export sold vehicles.

Durango's best year at JNAP was 2016, it sold 74,000 vehicles in the US and Canada. Grand Cherokee sold 227,000 vehicles in the US and Canada last year, that number excludes export vehicles as well.

So I don't think Grand Cherokee had nothing to do with Commanders production space.

Orsalak and Erik Latranyi like this.
  17. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

Q22 looks nothing like that now. Neither does the west entrance. Hi Cynthia!

18. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

When is it supposed to show up?