AF: Jeep Grand Wagoneer Plug-in-Hybrid Concept | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeep Grand Wagoneer Plug-in-Hybrid Concept

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by 1999 White C5 Coupe, Sep 3, 2020.

1. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

Watching the video...it sounded like the green(leather free) interior was going to be standard........ My point is that it should be an option not standard.....

2. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

No, it shouldn't be standard. Hopefully that's just one of the touches on the concept that won't make it to production.

3. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Or it may be trim-dependent. For Lincoln, their “soft touch” interior or whatever it’s called is standard for the base trim, with leather being included with the higher trims. Land Rover and Mercedes have leather alternatives. Porsche too IIRC. Audi does not, except for the e-tron I believe. There’s money to be had by offering these interiors as options because the customers who buy these brands seem to want these materials as options. Jeep wouldn’t be out of line by offering it, but no, I wouldn’t make it the standard material throughout all trims. I don’t think most customers of any brand are looking for that, they’ve been trained to expect leather.

tlc and Ryan like this.
  4. 12soldier

12soldier Well-Known Member

Please do. Square out that last panel of windows, the corners of the grill, and enlarge the headlights please. And can you make it in Snazzberry?

I'm not sure how this was supposed to be a compliment to the legend? The Commander looked more legendary, except for the cheap interior and not a true 3rd row in my opinion. This isn't a total loss, they just need to fix a few issues. I like the interior though. Looks nice on the inside. Outside blends in well with Lincoln and Nissan offerings. You'd have to point at it for me to recognize it's a Jeep. I sure hope they don't bring this to market. If they do, then they no longer care about the legend beyond slapping easter eggs, 7 slots, and the wheel wells. I'd definitely buy a escalade over this. Probably both equally as capable off road anyways.

5. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

The design has grown on me over the course of the day. I've just decided to stop judging this truck by it's nameplates design.

If you think about it, Grand Wagoneer left in the 90s and was replaced by Grand Cherokee. Later they tried a bigger one, Commander. Had the right idea, Daimler follow through. Lol..

So in essence this truck gets back to where it should be. Following Commanders ideas, but named GW, and on the right platform for those ideas.

6. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Very charitable of you. I still see this as a missed opportunity for a stronger design. Not the end of the world but not fully realized potential either.

7. suzq044

I think charitable is the wrong word. It's merely an opinion.

That said, I agree, but from what I heard on Gilles interview on TFLtruck about it, it was a back and forth with different ideas and themes before the one they decided on. I would love to see those other themes that were tossed out, I really would love to see what Sergio said no to.

8. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Maybe Mike Manley, Marchionne death date is more than 2 years ago.

9. jsucha

jsucha Well-Known Member

Should not have to buy leather seats to get a power passenger seat. The Ram Big Horn should include power seats in the front row with the cloth seats.

10. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Usually design is locked a long time before the presentation.

11. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Bad news for you guys: the options will most likely be: Cloth and nothing at one price, then a choice of "Leather and goodies" or "synthetic-Leather and goodies" at a higher price.

The synthetic material is to accommodate people who don’t want to sit on animal hides, not to people who don’t want to pay for the fancy seats.

Tony K, suzq044 and T_690 like this.
  12. LoganSix

LoganSix Well-Known Member

I agree... that was a bit much. Everyone knows that the batteries are toxic, no amount of fake leather is going to offset that.
    But, it looked very very nice. Not that I will have $100k lying around to get one.

thebluegoat and LeeRyder like this.
  13. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

Sergio did a retreat on the 2014 Cherokee front and rear ends. They were re-done. It was his take that the controversy about the Cherokee was a fault with the external design concept. That design was very polarizing as is this in my opinion. I tend to lean towards the Yontu (Grand Commander) front end, and a D panel more traditional to the 60's Wagoneer. It's just my opinion.

jkdrew likes this.
  14. suzq044

He named Sergio in the interview.

Tony K likes this.
  15. hotmach

hotmach Not an insider !

Wondering
    If this is a concept and not the real deal, how far out is the product ?

16. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

The presentation said next year, so it's not so much of a concept as a preview. They said "next year", and before 2021's driving season would be a good time to get it in dealer's showrooms.

Tony K likes this.
  17. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

They have been toying with a full size truck based SUV since the original Ram redesign. I've never understood why it has taken all this time to build one. I'm more concerned about what will be under the hood. For whatever reason they don't seem to want to use the 6.4 on truck based vehicles under the 2500 series.

MoparMantis and HotCarNut like this.
  18. MoparMantis

MoparMantis Well-Known Member

I'm hoping the 392 that the wrangler starts making its way into the Ram's and this. If that engine was in the new HD I'd probably have one. My dad definitely would.

19. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Point one is plant capacity, because it takes time to build a new production facility. FCA has had Jeep for just a decade. Should they have just slapped a new grill on the old Commander and called it a day?

Point two is a lot of people are concerned what what will be under the hood, chiefly CARB and other government regulators. The market is expecting electrification. GM is telling people to expect battery electric Escalades and Hummers in the next few years. If the Ford F-150 will have an EcoBoost V6 with hybrid drivetrain this fall, the Lincoln Navigator will probably be next. Then there are also some startups hiding in the bushes. Adding a full size SUV to supplement a battery electric pickup truck isn't that much of a stretch.

In another thread someone is building and selling three Helephant powered vehicles. That should satisfy all the market demand for Helephant powered BOF light trucks. So I don't expect that under this new Jeep's hood. There might be some sort of Hemi engine standard, but engine displacement isn't the only way engineers can go big. That four cylinder engine found in the new Maserati mild hybrid is rumored to have a straight six cylinder cousin. The production of this engine shows FCA has a supplier providing an e-booster to supplement a turbocharger. A similar setup with a straight six cylinder engine, along with much more space for batteries than a Wrangler has, offers a lot of potential. After all, while Jeep hasn't said what the engine under the hood is, they did say there will be a 4Xe drivetrain available, while at the same event showed the Wrangler's 4Xe system.

ScramFan likes this.
  20. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

All that I know is as long as Cadillac/GMC/Chevy offers their 6.2 V8 Jeep, if they want to be competitive need to offer their 6.4, at least until this buyer demographic accepts alternatives. I don't count Lincoln/Ford, because they aren't the top of the heap in this segment.

Chris mopar likes this.