AF: Jeep Grand Wagoneer Spy Photos Show Full-Size Proportions | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeep Grand Wagoneer Spy Photos Show Full-Size Proportions

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Polish Don, Nov 25, 2019.

1. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Well-Known Member

I want to see what this looks like without the black cladding for my own curiosity. I bet it's a cobbled together mess of a mule. Those look like current Grand Cherokee headlights and taillights

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

First gen Durango was based on Dakota. Second gen Dakota/Aspen was sort of Ram based but still really midsize.

jclick likes this.
  3. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

As the owner of 2 grand Cherokees (gen 1 and gen 3) this addresses the often heard complaint, they are too small for what they cost. I have no reservations about a body on frame design, in fact I prefer it. Looks to be about the size of a Tahoe. I like the idea, prob would not buy due to high cost, unless I buy used in the future. Still liking my 2 old ones....

UN4GTBL likes this.
  4. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

The chevy traverse has more interior room then a Yukon. If they can tweak the present platform so the interior is "bigger" then the competion. %99 of Wagoneers owner will see nothing rougher then a dirt or gravel road.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  5. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Isn't that about the same ratio as the last big Wagoneer?

6. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

And good luck selling it on a modified front drive, awd platform. They probably could have pulled it off on an enlarged GC platform as well, but the Ram is an excellent platform to base it on. It will be just fine.

saltydog, Devildodge and UN4GTBL like this.
  7. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

Also, I have read that body-on-frame vehicles tend to be better off-roaders, as they withstand twisting forces better, have more resistant to dirt, mud, snow, and stones, since they're typically mounted higher than unibody vehicles.

so, I hope they turn it to a rugged SUV

Quambi likes this.
  8. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

If it made sense to them to stretch the unibody platform of the Grand WK-II they would have, the switch to the 1500 Ram platform makes sense because they can offer a higher tow limit which is a selling feature. And keep in mind the original Wagoneer was body on frame and shared its frame and mechanicals with the Jeep SJ full size pick ups.

9. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

I'm just excited to see new product to keep all plants busy.

Hopefully the Wagoneer Twins are what Sergio wanted.

If I were FCA I'd leave some Easter eggs to honor Sergio in the Twins. After all it was Sergio pushing them.

Quambi, HEMI345 and ScramFan like this.
  10. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper

I think it being a full-sized BOF vehicle is exactly the right decision and will fill a gap in the Mopar lineup we've been hoping to see filled since the 90's. I don't necessarily think there needs to be a Ram version. Let Jeep be the SUV brand; Ram is for pickups and vans. I'm in Texas so understand I'm a bit biased on the subject, but Suburbans, Tahoes, and Expeditions and their respective derivative luxury models sell very well here. The economy is booming here. The market for these trucks will be strong, if not where you live, where I do!

ScramFan and MoparMantis like this.
  11. Lone Bone

Lone Bone Member

I've been seeing a lot of these Telluride or whatever the Hyundai/ Kia 7 passengers are on the streets of my town. I am concerned with these upcoming bigger FCA SUVs that they will be at the premium level. Lots of families that are ditching the soccer mom vans for full sized
    SUVs are not looking to spend almost 100k. Personally I'm saving up as we speak for when my wifes WKII is up for replacement in 2021, and hope it will be a grand wagoneer.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  12. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Perhaps have a black cloth interior option, and call it the black sweater edition? :p

UN4GTBL likes this.
  13. Adventurer55

FCA has a large hole in their lineup here. Currently, the max profit guys have decided that filling in that hole with a Chrysler or a Dodge just doesn't qualify for their vision of max profit. Maybe Tavares will undo this line of thinking.

Tony K, page2171 and jclick like this.
  14. Adventurer55

15. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

One huge problem with having only Jeep versions is whether they have any plans to compete against the Tahoe for police sales.
    Here in Texas the Tahoe has become the vehicle of choice. Any Chargers the State Troopers have are the older body.

The same long standing biased perceptions that are seen again and again. Every automaker has a model or nameplate that isn't thought of as highly as their others.
    1. Jeep usually are, and are thought of as costing more
    2. Even if they are the same underneath, a Ram version will probably be thought of as more dependable than a Jeep version

Any department that buys Jeep over Chevrolet will be lambasted as wasting money.
    Just as back in the day if a sheriff drove a Mercury rather than a Ford.
    Ram versus Chevy won't be much of an argument.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  16. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

The Jeeps aren’t going to be the only BoF SUVs. Durango will share the platform and likely be cheaper.

17. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

I think that pushing Jeep and Ram hard was a good short-to-intermediate-term plan, but have to agree that at some point you need to spread the wealth for various reasons. One reason is all CUVs don't need the off-road capability and corresponding penalties in weight and fuel economy.

18. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Interesting... given that the legendary XJ Cherokee was unibody. BOF does allow for more “top hat” games which is why it’s apparently the way forward for electric cars. Three companies are now doing the skateboard+top hat game that seems to me little different from BOF.

Durango was indeed always midsize. Jeep has of course done full-size but not for ages — the Wagoneer was the first, last, and only, I believe.

The Power Wagon is truly impressive. I'm starting to think Wagoneer will be Rebel based and Grand Wagoneer will be Power Wagon based. But that's much more expensive than doing just one.

Police market would be good but... who knows how it'll work out.

Full size SUVs are often used no different than minivans. It's like Jeeps, yes, they can go offroad, but only a small percentage of buyers take 'em there. A full size FWD based CUV should sell just fine. It in theory should have better economy/power blend than a “real” SUV.

Donte Lindsey and HotCarNut like this.
  19. Adventurer55

Grand won't be Power Wagon based, as it's on a 2500 HD chassis.

20. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Top hat height/center of gravity is why I am surprised Tahoe is so popular for law enforcement use. I would think handling suffers.
    The XJ due in part from the benefits of unibody and low roof height was praised (for that time period) on its handling.