Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeep Patriot Instrument Panel

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by AllanC, Aug 30, 2017.

1. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

I drove a 2016 Jeep Patriot SUV yesterday as a possible candidate for purchase. Vehicle was an Avis rental unit and has 35,968 odometer miles and vehicle was located at a Toyota dealership. On the test drive everything seemed fine except for 2 oddities. Upon initial startup the airbag lamp should illuminate and then after a few seconds, it should turn off as the air bag module does a self test on the circuitry. However the air bag lamp never illuminated.

Other oddity is that at 40 mph I pressed the ON / OFF steering wheel switch for the cruise control but no lamp illuminated in the instrument cluster indicating that the cruise was activated and ready to receive commands. I pressed the SET button and the system held speed. I pressed the RES + button repeatedly and the vehicle gained speed. So the acceleration feature worked correctly. I pressed the CANCEL button and the vehicle speed dropped. I pressed the RES button and the vehicle resumed previous determined speed. So the cruise control functioned as expected.

But the fact that the indicators did not display has me concerned. I am thinking that this is NOT a case of a failed bulb. From what others have posted on the forum the lamps are probably LED lights with a very long life and they are soldered into a circuit board? So maybe there is a circuit board problem in the instrument cluster? Normally this might not be a concern but the vehicle will go off the base 3 / 36 warranty in just a few more miles. Replacing circuit boards in an instrument cluster sounds expensive to me. I have NOT purchased the vehicle and am proceeding slowly.

Any thoughts / ideas about what might cause these indicators to fail?

This is a image of the Jeep Patriot instrument cluster.

Instrument Cluster 2.gif

ImperialCrown likes this.
  2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Reading the service information, those 2 indicators should work in the manner you described.
    The AIRBAG indicator should light for 7 seconds at key-on. The CRUISE should light when the switch is engaged.
    Does the dealer know about them not working and would they repair these before you took delivery?

3. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

I do know that I was looking in the proper location on the instrument panel for these lamps. The sales person that accompanied me on the test drive looked also and could not find the CRUISE indicator lamp.

It was an interesting conversation during negotiations. The sales person invited the "big kahuna" (aka sales manager) to the discussion. I expressed concern about the lamps not working and it evolved into a discussion about printed circuit boards, soldered LED lamps, etc and this MIGHT not be a simple nor inexpensive fix. He said the factory manufacturer's warranty would cover the investigation into this issue. I said that the factory base warranty of 3 year / 36000 mile will expire within 32 miles. He said he would document with Chrysler a known problem and then any repair would be covered under factory warranty even after the 36000 mile expiration. In other words this selling dealership is passing any warranty expense back to the manufacturer. This Toyota dealer will not be involved. I then asked how a Toyota dealer could authenticate and identify a known warranty issue on a Chrysler vehicle to FCA. I received no answer. I would tend to think that warranty issues on Chrysler vehicles have to originate through a licensed, registered Chrysler dealership in good standing with the manufacturer.

The conversation then turned to the remaining 5 year / 60000 mile powertrain warranty that Chrysler has on its vehicles. The sales manager reminded me of that benefit. I indicated that Chrysler does have that warranty on powertrain but I might have a problem on trying to get warranty repairs on the engine. There are no know service records on the engine (i e oil change records) so if a problem develops with an internal, lubricated part, Chrysler will want to see documentation on proper service intervals in its first 36000 miles of life. If I cannot provide this documentation there is a strong likelihood that any powertrain warrantly claim will be denied. I got no response to that scenario.

So I and the dealership parted ways at that point. In my lifetime I have not bought that many vehicles (new or used). Whenever I do get into the automobile purchase saga, I tend to get into some weird situations.

#3 AllanC, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017