Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeep sales?

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by valiant67, Dec 26, 2017.

1. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I had the Wrangler in for its first oil change and was talking with the sales manager. Now this just one dealership but he said:
    1) They aren’t selling Renegades because they don’t have any are aren’t getting many of them.
    2) Lots of interest in Compass, but they have few they can sell. Most are being held for the air bag issue.
    3) They’ve got boatloads of Cherokees and there are really strong incentives on them, so strong that people who are currently leasing a Cherokee can get a new one for a lower lease payment.
    4) They are moving JKs even with the JL coming, either because people want tried and true vs new technology or people want a new Wrangler to transfer their accessories to.

aldo90731 and Erik Latranyi like this.
  2. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective
    Level 2 Supporter

1) Renegades don't sell because they have terrible fuel economy in a size that needs to have class leading economy.
    2) This is true, however, don't know about the air bag issue.
    3) This is true.
    4) No one seems to know about the new Wrangler in my parts.

aldo90731 and Erik Latranyi like this.
  3. valiant67

Level III Supporter

270 new Jeeps in stock, 121 of them Cherokees.
    33 Compasses in stock, more than 25 of them on hold and can't be sold.

4. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

In this instance, are the Cherokees positioned to be sold for both the Cherokee nameplate's sake AND as a padding for the diminished Compass situation?

5. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I am sure many JK owners are facing the decision of transferring the equity buried in their JKs and getting another one. Some are probably trading a 3-year-old Sport and with the equity accumulated putting down a heft down payment on a brand new JK Rubicon.

I am at a similar juncture with my 2015 JKU with only 23,000 miles: I can hold onto it, beef up the front axle, put a front locker and 35” tires and enjoy it as a trail beast for years to come. Or I can sell it now, take out the equity and get a new JK. Or I can keep it as-is for another year, and with the greater equity trade it in for a 2019 JL to enjoy all the new gizmos and comfort creatures.

That’s the beauty of owning a vehicle with amazing resale that is so easily customizable: the options are truly endless.

#5 aldo90731, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    danbek likes this.
  6. valiant67

Level III Supporter

I doubt it. Cherokee incentives have been high (off and on) for many months.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  7. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Point of interest here, Motorweek just did a review of several refreshed and revised compact crossovers and Jeep Compass, placed either last or second to last, being beaten by Escape, CRV, Rav4, Equinox, Tiguan. So this is a brand new vehicle that is uncompetitive with it's major competitors? And they want Jeep to be the Global Player? Unacceptable, that FCA cannot field a vehicle in this highly competitive class that is capable of holding it's own. Is this not a brand new design, and how/why did it perform so poorly?
    Some questions that someone should be asking SM in Detroit.

aldo90731 likes this.
  8. eggwhite93

eggwhite93 Impatiently waiting for new product.
    Level 2 Supporter

FCA need to seriously work on the powertrain in this and a few other models.

9. gezco

gezco Well-Known Member

They didn't like the interior quality and the power train, meaning the engine. The engine is the biggest problem with the Compass IMO.

eggwhite93 and jimboy like this.
  10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I agree with the engine. As for the interior, was it squeaks and rattles, design, or what?

11. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

Cherokee competes with the vehicles you listed. Compass is one rung down so not surprised at a low result.

jorisr likes this.
  12. eggwhite93

eggwhite93 Impatiently waiting for new product.
    Level 2 Supporter

I went and looked at the Compass and I really like it and that includes the interior. The biggest thing missing from the interior, and it may sound silly but, it is missing a garage door opener. The engine though... I may have taken it home (even without the garage door opener :cool:) if it had a better powertrain.

13. gezco

gezco Well-Known Member

They thought it looked cheap. I don't agree with that. I think the interior is right for the car. I think they just needed more than one reason to make it last.

14. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Poor fit and finish in the interior was mentioned as well as very, very, slow acceleration and poor handling.

15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I wonder if they were driving an old Compass by mistake. That doesn't match what I drove.

tlc likes this.
  16. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

MotorWeek linked me to a Cars.com comparison test of the "Best" compact SUV of 2017
    "Acceleration: Though the nine-speed automatic transmission worked better with a four-cylinder in this model than it has in other Fiat Chrysler vehicles we've owned and tested, it's still far from being a class leader, and power is lacking: "There's spirited off-the-line responsiveness," said Bruzek, "but after the initial punch, acceleration dies off hard." Meier agreed: "The 2.4-liter needs a power boost to move this SUV — not to be a Dodge Hellcat, just to confidently merge into high-speed traffic," he said. The powertrain tied for last in the scoring.

Size: "As the smallish exterior might suggest, the cargo floor lacks depth and height," Mays said. "If you need to carry passengers and cargo, Jeep comes up short." Bruzek said the tight confines crowd more than just cargo: "Backseat room is snug, almost like a small sedan," he said. "There's a wide floor hump, and the footwell is narrow." The small size also affected the Compass' Car Seat Check grades, resulting in a lower numerical score there.

Cabin storage: "Dude, where's my storage?" Mays quipped. "Between the tiny compartment under the armrest to the miniscule open spaces ahead of it, this is the group's least useful center console."

Build quality: "Cabin materials are competitive, but rickety stalks for the wipers and turn signals leave doubts on build quality," said Mays. All the judges agreed. "The interior trim and controls showed some quality lapses in fit and action," said Meier."

Handling wasn't mentioned there, so I dug up a section from their Compass review.

"Handling isn't the Compass' strong suit, either. I drove it on twisting, forested roads, and while the steering felt light for the first 30 degrees of travel, it firmed up considerably past that, resulting in overall feel that was both too light and too heavy. The Compass is also softly sprung, so while ride quality is good, the Compass tips and tilts in corners, with pronounced body roll. Handling isn't much better, with prominent understeer through corners that has the little SUV pushing and scrubbing through tight sweepers."

To me, it sounds like they have their expectations too high. First of all, as mentioned earlier, they are comparing the Compass to the wrong class. The Cherokee needs to be the vehicle that they compared, not the compass. Second, the Compass is a tiny SUV that starts at $21,000, not a sports car.

I have driven the Compass myself too and was actually kind of impressed that the interior seemed solid. I thought the handling was fine for what the vehicle is. The engine was slow, but that's to be expected.

jimboy and freshforged like this.
  17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Interesting. I agree with you on the class. The storage is true enough. This makes more sense now.

It will be nice when the 2.4 is history.

somber and DarkSky like this.
  18. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Also, without incentives, they are way overpriced. When a moderately equipped Renegade prices out higher than a well-equipped CR-V (which also gets better fuel economy), you're going to have sales issues. It's notable that last year when they were having the %20 off deal on the 2016's (how I got mine), the inventory cleared out within a month! But at regular prices they will sit on the lot.

19. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective
    Level 2 Supporter

Fixed that for you.

20. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

No argument on that.

BobbiBigWheels likes this.