AF: Jeep teases a 392 Wrangler? Gladiator? | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeep teases a 392 Wrangler? Gladiator?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by LeeRyder, Jul 11, 2020.

1. badgerbeerman

badgerbeerman Well-Known Member

Competition is always a good thing. This may make Jeep step up there game. I have read on other sites that the 392 Wrangler,Gladiator is a sure thing. Dont forget the Bronco has been on the drawing boards and being developed for 7 years!! This is giving Jeep plenty of time to get ready. If they dont well thats a major mistake on there part.

2. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

They are reporting the 392 is at 450hp. I wonder what the torque is, and if this version of the 6.4 will make it into the Ram 2500/3500?

MoparMantis likes this.
  3. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Likely because the website was poorly designed... :D

No one is going to receive their Bronco for another year. Production starts in April 2021; dealer orders will go in first. By the time your factory order goes through and gets delivered to your Ford dealer, it will be June-July 2021. That’s a long a*s time. I’ll be surprised if half of those ordering today are still waiting for their Brinco by then.

A Wrangler 392 still has greater chances of hitting dealer showrooms before the first production Bronco does.

HotCarNut, JKU12 and DC-93 like this.
  4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Of note, Ford *claims over all suspension travel for the front is 17% better than a Wrangler, and 10% better for the rear suspension. If true, that’s pretty good for IFS. If Bob S had much say in this, then maybe it’s got a little bit of Lil Blue DNA in it. Blasphemy?? :p

valiant67 likes this.
  5. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

Well Bronco is damn good in term of numbers too. Finally a true competitor for Wrangler .
    And that 12” screen - it look so good

[​IMG]

6. aldo90731

Keep in mind those Bronco specs are with the optional Sasquatch package. A mildly lifted Wrangler would easily match, or even exceed those numbers. Again, how easy or difficult Bronco is to modify will prove key.

7. hmk123

Level III Supporter

How much will the increased torque of some of the Broncos matter to off-roaders? Is that a weak point of the Pentastar Wranglers or does it not really matter as much?

8. Ryan

If Wrangler buyers want more torque, the 2.0L turbo and EcoDiesel are available.

9. aldo90731

The 8-speed made any shortcomings of the 3.6 V6 completely unnoticeable.

tlc and hmk123 like this.
  10. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

From an offroad point of view is better an electric motor that helps traction since its maximum torque is at 0 rpm.

My idea lsolution would be a 4 cylinder diesel + electric motor coupled to reduction gear box (but not plugin hybrid, too heavy and expensive).

T_690 likes this.
  11. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Would be something if the 392 was out before the non Sport Broncos...

12. aldo90731

That’s a real possibility. Broncos are not going to hit the streets for another year. Production is not scheduled to start until April 2021...

HotCarNut and hmk123 like this.
  13. badgerbeerman

badgerbeerman Well-Known Member

And that gives Jeep plenty of time to make changes, upgrade the Wrangler other models. Ill bet its being worked on.

14. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Jeep also has the electric versions coming out, as well as the possible 392. The Bronco has been talked about for years. Jeep will have their answers, and likely multiple of them. Should be fun!!

tlc, serpens and hmk123 like this.
  15. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

I still remember, when Bob Sheaves said that only Ford can do it. And they did.

this only a comparison video between the two,

JKU12 and Zagnut27 like this.
  16. aldo90731

According to TFL: 450 HP and 450 lbs.

HotCarNut and MoparMantis like this.
  17. WXman

WXman Active Member

Here's my take: This is clearly an attempt to steal some love from the new Bronco, and I think it's working. Americans love V8 power. The 392 option would put the Wrangler ahead of Bronco by 50 lb/ft of torque which is just right.

So, WHY would they price this 392 option at $80,000 like people are saying on the forums? I don't see that happening. At that point you could buy two Broncos. It would defeat the purpose of debuting the 392 in the Wrangler. I personally believe this will happen for 2021 and that it will cost not much more than the current top-line Rubicon JL.

The next question is will they do this for Gladiator also? And I don't think they will. Gladiator has a different purpose. They don't offer the 2.0L because they can't keep it cool enough to meet J2807 tow requirements. It would seem to be really hard to make the large 392 stay cool in tow testing. And, Gladiator doesn't have direct competition (yet) like Wrangler. So I don't think the 392 option will naturally trickle over to Gladiator.

Though, IF it did I'd go get one immediately.

Lastly, I will say that I test drove two DT Ram 1500s. One with the 5.7 Hemi and one with Gen 3 EcoDiesel. I ended up with the EcoDiesel for my purposes, BUT, the Hemi felt stronger, faster, and more athletic. The EcoDiesel does not feel like it's got more power and it doesn't feel like a Hemi replacement for the need of power. That's with the 5.7. I imagine that there would be NO contest between the 6.4 and the EcoDiesel in a Jeep. The EcoDiesel wouldn't hold a candle to it.

HotCarNut and Ryan like this.
  18. aldo90731

Agreed, FCA is adding the 392 HEMI most likely in an attempt to cast a “halo” on the entire Wrangler lineup and, in doing so, defend Wrangler sales against Bronco’s assault.

As a “halo vehicle”, its main mission will be to cast a halo from the top down to the rest of the lineup to help keep the spotlight on Wrangler and away from Bronco. As such, the JL 392 will likely (1) cost and arm and a leg, and (2) sell in small numbers.

Perhaps a few years down the road, depending on consumer demand, fuel prices and government regulations, Jeep will make the 392 more accessible throughout the Wrangler lineup. Sort of what Dodge did with Scat Pack.

For better or worse, FCA has shown a greater willingness to do its marketing through halo vehicles, as opposed to through traditional advertising —or even customer service.

19. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

It depends on what You want to do with a Wrangler, if for going offroad, than the diesel engine is better suited, low revving and lower fuel consumption.

20. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

It's a good thing nobody can see me right now...because my tongue is hanging out and drooling over the possibilities of either a 392 Wrangler...OR...a 100% Electric Wrangler.

However, I realize that when it comes to this sort of vehicle...not everyone has the same set of needs and wants.

That's what I found interesting about the review below because the Toyota 4-Runner was also included:
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQeo0tSaQCE