AF: Jeep teases a 392 Wrangler? Gladiator? | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeep teases a 392 Wrangler? Gladiator?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by LeeRyder, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

As far as torque goes, 450lb feet is darned substantial. And even if a diesel delivers 450lb feet, remember that HP is the rate at which the engine delivers torque. This engine would be delivering its 450lb ft at nearly twice the rate of its competitors.

Plus, the sooooouuund...

There is no V6 or I4 in the world that has the sound of a 90°, odd firing V8 engine.

Mopar392 and MoparMantis like this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Everything I've read says the "post fix" EcoDiesel is quite lacking compared to the "pre-fix" ones.

3. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Did they
    fix the cam gear issue?

4. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

A Rubicon EcoDiesel is around $60k $50k before adding any significant options. I'd guess somewhere around $70k for the "base" Wrangler 392.

#84 Ryan, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    HotCarNut likes this.
  5. IronMike3406

IronMike3406 Well-Known Member

I think it will be closer to mid 60's for the 392 Wrangler hopefully they bring back the MOAB name again and make that the top Wrangler above the Rubicon. But if you even sat down and pencilled out what it would cost you to build your own 392 powered Wrangler you would be getting close to 60k after all is said and done. The wars have just begun and I don't think FCA will just let this one slide either....Kind of like what Ram has been doing year after year slowly knocking Ford off their pedestal

HotCarNut and hmk123 like this.
  6. Ryan

I think you are right. I was incorrect above: the Rubicon EcoDiesel is around $50k before options, not $60k.

HotCarNut and IronMike3406 like this.
  7. WXman

WXman Active Member

Right, but remember that I'm talking about the Gen 3 engine. The one with 480 lb/ft @ 1,600 RPM. The one that's allegedly 80% new and will be the powerhouse drivetrain going forward.

To me, even the 5.7L Hemi feels stronger, faster, and like more of a beast when I test drove them in the same truck. When I then imagine what the 6.4L Hemi would be like in a 4,500 lb. vehicle... WHOA. That will be wild. Shoppers won't be able to replicate that in the Wrangler by choosing the diesel. Like somebody mentioned above me, having the torque WITH the horsepower is just a totally different scenario than diesel gives us.

MoparMantis and valiant67 like this.
  8. aldo90731

Yeah, but a $50,000 Rubicon EcoDiesel would still come with soft top, cloth seats, incandescent headlights, base stereo, no navigation, no towing group, etc.... Seriously, who wants that...for $50,000?

I just priced a 2020 JLUR EcoDiesel with every option on my Sahara; MSRP comes to $62,000!

Pfft...I don’t think so. Jeep has a lot of work to do offering decent value.

Thank God Ford is bringing Bronco.

valiant67 and Milkman123 like this.
  9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

That's the problem I see too. yes, you can make an argument that a base Sport or Rubicon price is reasonable enough. But then you look at what is not included (but expected for the price level) suddenly the price is much greater. For gosh sakes, in this day and age, DRLs aren't even standard on the Sport models. And the list Aldo mentions as missing on an already $50k vehicle is ridiculous.

aldo90731 likes this.
  10. LeeRyder

LeeRyder Well-Known Member

I agree and disagree.

Finally competition to bring Jeep prices down and push for innovation!

Sadly however, the competition (bronco) was designed by Disneyland toon town staff..

11. WXman

WXman Active Member

It's very likely to happen, probably a 2022 model. That way they can stretch out the "steal wind from Bronco's sails" effect. The question everybody is asking is this: Will it be a very limited edition trim that's ultra expensive and impossible to get your hands on just so that FCA can enjoy the profits and buzz surrounding the model, or, will this be an upper level full production trim that's maybe a little more than a fully loaded Rubicon today and easy to order?

I think a case could be made for doing either. But personally, I think FCA would have better success if they could pull off the latter. Get the 392 option into the hands of MORE consumers and they'd steal more Bronco sales.

LeeRyder likes this.
  12. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

I guess GM will not sit and watch Jeep and Ford do their things.

13. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It's a shame GM "wasted" the Blazer name on a CUV.
    Hummer probably still has some positive (and negative) name recognition.

WXman likes this.
  14. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

I would love to have a BEV Truck. It needs to get 300 to 400 mile range while towing comfortably my 9000lbs camper, and I must have a way to charge it while on the road.

15. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

I think they are using the hummer branding is in the right direction. They are talking about a suv version.
    It might have some legs...

wil

16. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

If Ford is bringing Bronco Raptor, Jeep is better differentiating 392 Wrangler and Gladiator by being dessert runners instead of being crawlers..

17. racingbassist

racingbassist Member

*Desert.... Wranglers and Gladiators aren't quite "cupcake mobiles"

Mopar02 likes this.
  18. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

This is what happens when typing on a stupid phone.

wilbur, tomaz and racingbassist like this.
  19. LordHobbit

LordHobbit Active Member

I'm sure one could still go out for a slice of pie in a 392 Wrangler/Gladiator

racingbassist likes this.
  20. K-9

K-9 Well-Known Member

With Bronco coming I hope that there is a better value proposition being developed for Wrangler (or Gladiator) considering the pricing versus options you mentioned.

From everything that I've read and seen about Bronco it looks like they did their homework against Wrangler and it will be a strong competitor.

wilbur, HotCarNut, page2171 and 2 others like this.