AF: Jeep to spin off into separate showrooms | Page 7 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeep to spin off into separate showrooms

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by aldo90731, Aug 17, 2020.

1. The Batman

The Batman Active Member

So, you agree with me, then, or....?

2. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Yes.

My point was Jeep is already doing that.

If I were to critique their ads, though, I would show Jeep owners out camping, fishing, overlanding or what not, not just driving like drunken highschoolers over sand dunes and other pristine settings.

UN4GTBL, XRT2SRT, CDJSalesPro and 3 others like this.
  3. The Batman

The Batman Active Member

I mean, Jeep is marketing the "Freedom" aspect for Wrangler/GC/Gladiator while not really saying anything at all about their crappy Italian stepchildren. I like the idea of being the Patagonia of SUVs, with an emphasis of environmental responsibility. And yes, I'm aware of the irony of having an environmentally conscious Jeep brand sitting in the same family as gas-guzzling Dodge.

UN4GTBL and cygnus like this.
  4. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Do you think the Mercedes dealer will let you pull in and use their scanner tool for free? I doubt it. I seriously doubt any dealer will let you use their scanner tool for free.

Jason E, danbek, tlc and 3 others like this.
  5. Ryan

Yes, that's definitely not something anyone should expect at a dealership.

You wouldn't walk into a dental office and ask to use their tools for free.

Jason E, danbek, hmk123 and 5 others like this.
  6. aldo90731

LMAO!!!

Although “2020” is not over yet...

UN4GTBL, XRT2SRT, danbek and 3 others like this.
  7. Ryan

I mean, I wouldn’t do that, but there are always people who think they have the right to do whatever they want. :rolleyes:

Jason E, danbek, page2171 and 2 others like this.
  8. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Like cutting your own hair, one should NEVER attempt to do their own dental work.

page2171, Zagnut27, Tony K and 2 others like this.
  9. aldo90731

Hey, I cut my own hair.

Well, it is more like I shear my own head...

UN4GTBL, page2171, gforce2002 and 2 others like this.
  10. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Sorry, but this is truly beyond the pale. Autozone sells parts. Free scan tool use sells parts. Maybe you get the right part. Dealer service shops repair vehicles. Thinking your dealer is going to offer you free use of an expensive FCA-specific scan tool is the height of arrogant behavior.

Jason E, danbek, suzq044 and 4 others like this.
  11. Ryan

I wonder how feasible a Jeep program would be that donates money to an environmental charity for every Trail Rated vehicle sold?

Something like that, plus transparency about the number of parts that are ethically made/environmentally friendly, and a creative advertising campaign to tie it all together seems like it could appeal to a new crowd. Specifically, the stereotypical Subaru buyers...

12. aldo90731

13. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I wouldn't expect to use a OBD scanner myself from a dealer, but they could check the codes for you without you having to schedule an appointment. I've had dealers do that for me in the past, and my independent mechanic will do it as well, depending on how busy they are at the moment. Obviously I'd have to then schedule to have diagnostic and/or repair work done if necessary. I do suppose it depends on your relationship with your dealer/mechanic though too. If they know you and you're on good terms, then they may be more inclined to do more for you.

UN4GTBL, XRT2SRT, danbek and 4 others like this.
  14. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Subaru hasn't already tried something like that.

Ryan likes this.
  15. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

In the past year or so when I have brought my Ram in for service at the dealer they check for codes as part of the "check in" routine. I've gotten to the point I usually only take it to the dealer for the annual state safety inspection - free since I purchased the vehicle there. They plug in a device to the ODB port which transmits the data to a tablet. From that they can see any stored or active error codes, mileage and VIN. It's actually kind of neat. They also do a quick alignment check. All for no additional charge.

In comparison, all the independent shops want to charge a diagnostic fee - usually $99.95. I do have an inexpensive scanner that can retrieve the universal basic codes and can erase the error codes.

Speaking of Jeeps, my wife visited a friend who has a Jeep. She showed me some videos taken on her phone where they went off road on trails, through a wide creek with other Jeepers. I'm not a Jeeper, but I do see the attraction.

Tony K and Zagnut27 like this.
  16. aldo90731

FCA is not Subaru. With its “Love” campaign, Subaru consistently and unequivocally embraced durability, safety and customer care, from the top of the organization down to its dealers.

The Love campaign, which launched in 2008, and was supported with some of the best marketing in the automotive business of the last 40 years, has allowed Subaru to earn a level of trust with its customers that FCA can only dream of.

Objectively speaking, Subaru products are not that remarkable. But by delivering a consistent level of competence, and focusing on key areas that really matter to consumers, it has established a customer bond stronger than that enjoyed by Jeep, Honda, and often even Toyota. Subaru has grown US demand and sales for 10+ years the good old fashioned way, by retaining a big chunk of its customers and conquesting new ones; without bribing them with incentives.

By contrast, FCA shows inconsistent commitment to quality, a spotty record on safety, and very little care for customers. At FCA, money talks; everything else comes second. Over and over, FCA shows a transactional mindset, by which short-term payback takes precedence over long-term commitments.

There’s nothing more long-term than the planet; so if Jeep were to one morning embrace the environment, it wouldn’t seem genuine, but as another business ploy with expected short-term return.

17. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

The Jeep we have now was used when we bought it. It had the Daimler ignition switch issue early on and our dealer in Lima Ohio treated us like gold. They gave us a loaner and let us use it until they were certain they had fixed the problem. I, to this day am still impressed with that, and will shop up there when we buy. Even though now we live in Tennessee. They are a long term dealer that became a Chrysler dealer in about 1980. They had prior to Chrysler had AMC/Jeep, but somehow they left that go after they became a Chrysler dealer. After Chrysler bought AMC they got it back. They currently have FCA, Hyundai, Buick/GMC.

UN4GTBL and Zagnut27 like this.
  18. willy4110

willy4110 Well-Known Member

One good thing if Jeeps ever get their own show room, and if Dodge and Chrysler ever get some new vehicles, at least I don't have to walk past the Jeeps to get to the other vehicles.

cdjr77, kevin m. Henry and jclick like this.
  19. The Batman

The Batman Active Member

Wow. Really, dude? It's the "height of arrogant behavior" that I would ask to use their tool (or have someone qualified to use their super secret squirrel FCA garbage scanner) for ten seconds to find out what is wrong with the piece of junk that they made? I know I'm not the humblest of guys, but I never considered Chrysler standing behind their garbage vehicles to be arrogant. Thank you for making me a better person, Tony.

20. The Batman

The Batman Active Member

That's all I was asking, to have someone check the codes but the guy behind the counter obviously didn't want to stand up. He and the rest of the dealership "experience" (I've dealt with them before on recalls and I can walk to the dealership) solidified the fact that me never buying another Chrysler product was the right choice. Even after I expressed how disappointed I was as a life-long (literally) customer, I was considering never buying another FCA product ever again, he said, "Oh. Well that's unfortunate." and went back to playing Snood.

UN4GTBL likes this.