Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeep winners, Patriot, and Compass

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by Dave Z, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The Jeep Patriot managed to beat its successor in sales last month despite a 17% sales drop, logging 9,837 US sales vs Renegade’s 8,832. The comparison may be somewhat unfair, as some dealers said they were not getting ordered Renegades, and the latter is brought in from Italy while the Patriot is made in Illinois. In any case, the Renegade easily beat the outgoing Compass, despite a huge 53% boost in Compass sales compared with March 2015. […]
    Read the whole post here.

RonGD likes this.
  2. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Patriot is also seeing (and has been seeing) heavier sales into fleets, according to a friend in the upfitter business.

And it's cheap.

It may also be what those with less than perfect credit and those on a tight budget get steered into when they fail to get into something a bit up the scale.

Cornupenuria likes this.
  3. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

Just means there will be many scrap yard parts for my Patriot in the future so I can keep it running forever. My wife said the other day she'd probably be driving a Renegade if we didn't need the minivan.

RonGD likes this.
  4. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Just picked up a brand new 2016 High Altitude edition at my local dealer. Fully loaded (for what fully loaded is on the patriot anyways). Couldn't pass it up for the price. The only complaint I would have with it is those Firestone factory tires are as noisy as hell.

5. MPE426HEMI

Ya, nice analogy. Or maybe it fits someone's actual needs and they don't want to get sucked into spending a ton of money on something that will impress the neighbours, but they'll really never use. Just because somebody don't buy a top of the line Durango don't mean they can't get credit or are on a fixed income. What an insensitive and senseless comment.
    If you don't like how the Patriot is selling, complain to FCA about all the incentives on the hood. If they are the "Incentive King" of the industry, that's not my problem. It doesn't mean I won't buy from them though. BTW, there are at least 4 other vehicles I could have gotten great incentive deals on also, but I choose Patriot because I wanted a AWD/4x4. So it's not just that vehicle on the lot for the downtrodden and less fortunate. Next time I'll try harder for that Grand Cherokee Overland. :rolleyes:

Citation84 likes this.
  6. Stratuscaster

I fail to see how my comment was insensitive and senseless, and I never implied or said that the Patriot (or Compass) was only a vehicle for the downtrodden and less fortunate. If anything, perhaps I should be offended by your accusation that I'm being insensitive and senseless and perhaps claiming that you or anyone else of being unable to get credit or are on a fixed income. (I'm not offended, for what that's worth. And I'm not being insensitive and senseless - I'm being factual and realistic.)

I don't like or not like how Patriot is selling, or that there are lots of incentives on it. Incentives exist for a reason, they have for some time, and when done properly is a great way to keep a plant building the Patriot & Compass busy and to take advantage of the fact that most of the R&D and tooling costs have been paid for.

Personal experience - I've seen many times where a consumer will go into the dealership with their hearts and minds set on a Grand Cherokee and learn that they cannot swing the financing or the payments are much larger than anticipated, even on the lowest trim level. So the consumer is then steered towards a Compass and the consumer sees that for less money they can get most of what they were looking for in a vehicle for a much more agreeable price and better terms and financing. Not quite sure what is insensitive or senseless about that. The same tactic is used by every dealer of every brand. Can't swing the Impala or Malibu? You can likely get into a Cruze. Can't swing a Charger? They could probably get you into a loaded Avenger or Dart for a better deal.

Sometimes incentives aren't even needed. One lady came in with her heart set on a used Lexus RX. She left with a used Chevy Equinox. She got 95% of what she wanted at a price she could afford. What's insensitive or senseless about that?

What you yourself buy is also of no concern of mine. You want that Overland? Go for it. I don't judge anyone based on their vehicle purchases - it's none of my business.

If one identifies the Patriot as their vehicle of choice from the start, great. Fantastic. You'll get a decent price and decent incentives on what is a pretty solid vehicle overall. I never claimed otherwise.

RonGD, Citation84 and link3721 like this.
  7. MPE426HEMI

Keep spinning it. I know plenty over time who have been "steered" into a purchase by a salesman, that they could never afford. They found out the long, hard way too. There's far and few between who would actually care also. I buy what I want, I don't care how green your grass is or what anybody thinks I should buy. Getting worse than CR on this site.

#7 MPE426HEMI, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
  8. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

Seems like an over-reaction to me, reading way too much into Strat's comment.

Citation84 likes this.
  9. MPE426HEMI

Well, excuse me then.

10. Stratuscaster

And I never said that the opposite- the upselling of a consumer into something more expensive - doesn't ever happen. It certainly does. It's been tried on me many times.

I'm not telling anyone what they should buy, nor do I care what they buy. It's not my business, they don't need my approval.

I offered one perspective on the situation. To read anything else into it, or to somehow think that I'm personally offended, upset, or looking down my nose at a certain type of consumer is wrong.

11. MPE426HEMI

Well thanks for figuring that out.

12. Stratuscaster

You're welcome. Please enjoy the rest of your day.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  13. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

Congratulations,I hope you have very good luck with it.

RonGD and MPE426HEMI like this.
  14. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The wife and I looked at Jeeps in 2011. She did purchase a Liberty KK as they were the best deal at the time and were on build-out for the upcoming Cherokee. The old-school Liberty averages 17-18 mpg, which I know is all about what the vehicle is capable of.
    She did have an '09 Patriot for a short while, but felt claustrophobic sitting in it. The black carpeting and dark lower door panels didn't help the sensation that she was 'sitting inside a tube'. With the 2.4L, it averaged about 22 mpg. She had just come out of a Caravan with a light beige interior. She needs a high seating position due to her back. I had the Neon at the time and she would need help getting out of it once she was seated in it.
    I did like the 'baby Grand Cherokee' looks of the restyled Compass, but the dealer wasn't giving any discounts or deals on it. Liberty was a good value, but the Patriot was probably the best 'bang for the buck' on the lot.
    The Renegade and Cherokee are attractive. I think that the Renegade launch has been successful. I am seeing a lot on the road and in driveways parked next to Subarus.

15. MPE426HEMI

Well, I was coming out of a Grand Caravan, so yes, the Patriot has it's space limitations. But, not enough to deter a good deal on one. I find the "touring suspension" is much stiffer than I am used to, but it still feels pretty good and "truck-y" which is nice. I also wanted something with a bit of height, from a seating position and a bit of ground clearance, which the Patriot has plenty of for my needs, especially the front, whereas the front of my van was like a snowplow in winter. Mine has the 2.4L 6 speed combo which has decent power and acceleration for my city/ short highway stints. Freedom Drive I is exactly what I need, as I have no need for a "Low" range. This vehicle will never see off road use. (My past Liberty was never shifted into low when I had it, only once to try it out.) Not to mention, I wanted nothing to do with the CVT. The Hyundai 6 speed shifts way nicer than the 6 speed in the caravan, with no banging/ bumping and stumbling. (The Hyundai bit I still grumble and spit about, but what can you do?) Fuel mileage seems to be pretty good and already is beating the Caravan 3.6/6 speed combo I had. Yes, not the same power, but to be honest, I'd never know for my needs. Seems to be geared right. For the price, I couldn't pass it up. A fully loaded Patriot IMO is not too bad and is a nice simple package and look-wise reminds me of the Cherokees of the past. I just hope I get good service from it and don't have to return to the dealer.

Prabhjot, RonGD, JA Cumbo and 2 others like this.
  16. RonGD

RonGD Member

I have owned a Pat x 2 since '13 as

1. I wanted a Jeep
    2. My wife and I haul my mom along, she's elderly and it is easier for her to get in and out of than a Wrangler
    3. I like the ride better than a Wrangler
    4. Price point

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  17. MPE426HEMI

Yes, people always tend to want to dump on the Patriot, but it is good at what it does and is a simple, no frills ride. The price point is right on. I always liked the look of the Patriot and considered one for a few years until I finally found what I was looking for in package & pricing. The 4WD is simple and adequate for my needs, just what I was looking for.
    The wrangler is purpose built vehicle, which I really don't need and not willing to spend the extra cash on. I'd never use it to its full capabilities, so it's a waste of money, on my part. I love the look of it and envy anyone who can truly use that machine. Plus, I would have to get the unlimited, which is way out of my price league. Lol

#17 MPE426HEMI, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    Cornupenuria and RonGD like this.
  18. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

I have always liked the look of the Patriot...the Compass has gotten better over the years, but still has awkward angles for me. I'll probably at least check out the Patriot when I get to shop next summer (it'll be used because of my budget). I've never been in one before, so I think I should at least check one out before crossing it off the list.

19. MPE426HEMI

It's decent and does what it's meant to do well. It's not glamorous. For that, you'll have to look at Grand Cherokee.
    Pricing on Patriot is right on for a person who's living in the "middle" which I am. It's primarily FWD, which is exactly what I was looking for, for the climate I live in. Freedom Drive II is what I need. Compass I never liked the look of. Those rear door handles drive me nuts, just to look at them.

RonGD likes this.
  20. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

That is my biggest gripe on the Compass (and any other car with mismatched front/rear door handles).

RonGD and MPE426HEMI like this.