AF: Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by BASONE88, Nov 7, 2019.

1. BASONE88

Supporter

(http://www.TFLoffroad.com) The 3.0-liter EcoDiesel joins the Jeep Wrangler lineup for 2020, and we find out more about it in ...
    New

2. K-9

K-9 Well-Known Member

Very interested in driving one of these!

JayhawkOne and BASONE88 like this.
  3. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Who would trust one of the VM engines ? It would have to have an extended warranty for me to take a chance on one.

4. willy4110

willy4110 Well-Known Member

Doesn't every FCA product need extended warranty?

5. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

You can find just as many horror stories inline about the Pentastar and Hemi.

jclick likes this.
  6. wilbur

wilbur Active Member

And other manufactures... Duramax/powerstroke... cough cough...

tlc, jclick and danbek like this.
  7. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

The VM is generally a good Engine but as all other diesels when things go wrong it gets expensive.
    - the biggest problem is spare part prizes..they are ridicoulysly high and here should mother mopar step in and offer them at a lower prize
    an thus lowering the anger of owners who have to repair the vm 3.0.
    Otherwize its a quite nice Engine to work on compared to many competitors, the Mercedes 3 l v6 it replaced wasent a reliable Engine and it was a monster to work on ( its like an onion, only problem that Everything that broke was in the inner layers so it is a vaction week just to replece seals for an oilcooler. fex)

8. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

I must admit I’ve never owned a VM but I sure read a lot of horror stories right here on this forum. Many many more then any other engine we sell. Hopefully the problems have been fixed, but I would not take the chance at this time.

9. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

I wouldn't tend to trust any basically brand new engine, but in the case of the Gen 3 L630, I'd be somewhat less concerned, as it's 80% new and that was to fix the Gen 2 issues that generally are only a problem in the U.S. L version, not nearly so much in the A630 found outside the U.S.

Properly maintained by someone who is willing to take some time and be proactive, the OM642 is actually a pretty good engine. I haven't replaced the nefarious oil cooler seal YET, but my 2008 Grand Cherokee TD has over 150K miles. BTW, IF you have to replace the turbo, do the oil cooler seal at the same time if you haven't already, and clean your intake manifolds while you have them off. If you're going to stay within the law, you're going to have to maintain the EGR, and not drive a bunch of short trips all the time. There is a cheap (pennies) resistor fix for the notorious swirl motor failure.

10. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

That's what I mean. If you choose to look you can find horror stories to fit any opinion.
    I can even do that with myself. If I talk about my 89 Cherokee the 4.0 inline 6 is a bulletproof engine.
    If I talk about my 01 Cherokee the 4.0 inline 6 died way too soon and isn't a good engine.

11. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

Engineer said the diesel is 400lbs. heavier than the 3.6, wow. I didn't think it would be that dramatic.

12. wilbur

wilbur Active Member

One of my most favorite trucks was my '06 F350 Powerstroke Crew cab.

It was the best winter truck I ever had. The amount of snow it went through was amazing. Very comfortable and was a great long distance cruiser.

The sad part was, it was one of the most expensive trucks I had. It seemed to be about $2000 - 3000 dollars a year in basic maintenance and repairs. We just didn't use it enough to make it worth while.

Sad to see it go but very happy with the Big horn.

Wil

13. K-9

K-9 Well-Known Member

Are driving impressions embargoed until this week? I thought that's what TFL said in the video they posted last week.

14. j8jeeper

j8jeeper Active Member

We have fleets of the military spec wrangler running vm motors in harsh underground mines, we have been selling these things for over 8 years and have yet to sell a motor. This is the same basic motor run in the liberty and currently being used in the Colorado, its all about fuel quality and doing P.M. with correct filters and fluids. If you cut corners and use aftermarket trash and try and save money on fluids or fuel yeah your going to have issues

GasAxe and Dave Z like this.
  15. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Ryan and Dave Z like this.
  16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Thank you, valiant67, for your moderation today

Ryan likes this.
  17. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

18. K-9